Ruling Fates Collide Bronzong

Sabaku

Aspiring Trainer
117836_200w.jpg
XY9_EN_40.png

Okay, so I had a question about the Bronzong from Fates Collide. It's ability says that it prevents all effects of your opponent's attacks, including damage, done to your Benched Pokemon. It would probably stop Trevenant BREAK's Silent Fear, but what about BREAKpoint Greninja's Shadow Stitching? Isn't the ability lock from Shadow Stitching an effect of your opponent's attack? Would Metal Fortress block the ability locking effects, but only for Pokemon currently on the Bench?

Last edited by a moderator:

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
Moved from the TCG Competitive Play to the Ask a Professor Forums. Deleted posts to comply to the Ask a Professor forums rule of only certified professors giving rulings. ~bbninjas

PMJ

happy thoughts
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member
Here is the official ruling at long last (old post deleted because it is the wrong ruling:

== SHADOW STITCHING (Greninja - XY: BREAKpoint)

Q. If Bronzong with the "Metal Fortress" Ability is in play, are benched Pokemon protected from Greninja's "Shadow Stitching" attack? If so, does it also protect Pokemon that come into play on the bench during the opponent's turn?
A. If Bronzong is on the Bench, all benched Pokemon are protected, including ones put into play after the attack has happened (for example, Shaymin-EX's "Set Up" Ability will work in this scenario); however, the Active Pokemon is not protected, even if it goes to the Bench it will not get its Ability back. If Bronzong is Active and has its Metal Fortress shut off, the Benched Pokemon are not protected; even if it moves to the Bench, it will not get its Ability back. Finally, if Bronzong is on the Bench and becomes the Active Pokemon during your turn, it loses its Ability and the Benched Pokémon are no longer protected. (Jun 23, 2016 TPCi Rules Team)

Last edited:

Evader

Aspiring Trainer
This is a common question, and there is no official ruling on it right now. There is, however, this ruling, which is very similar:

It's almost a month later, do we have an official answer now?

Hope I'm not breaking any rules. I have the same question with the OP and didn't want to make an identical thread just to get an answer.

PMJ

happy thoughts
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member
There is still no official ruling yet. We'd all like to know for sure, too.

GamesChess

Aspiring Trainer
Whoa, I don't know if I can make an official comment, but at the Origins tournament they did have an official ruling. The ruling is that Bronzong would block the ability lock for the bench as long as he stays on the bench, but if Bronzong becomes the active it no longer blocks the shadow stitching. I actually played against a bonzong deck with my greninja break deck at origins and this is how they explained it.

Evader

Aspiring Trainer
Whoa, I don't know if I can make an official comment, but at the Origins tournament they did have an official ruling. The ruling is that Bronzong would block the ability lock for the bench as long as he stays on the bench, but if Bronzong becomes the active it no longer blocks the shadow stitching. I actually played against a bonzong deck with my greninja break deck at origins and this is how they explained it.

That's how it works on the PTCGO too. So that's the final official ruling?

GamesChess

Aspiring Trainer
That's how it works on the PTCGO too. So that's the final official ruling?
Like I said, it was the announcement from the head judge at Origins, Origins was a state level tournament, so i'm assuming that's the official ruling. He called it an official ruling as well.

PMJ

happy thoughts
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member
He's right. Here is the official ruling:

== SHADOW STITCHING (Greninja - XY: BREAKpoint)

Q. If Bronzong with the "Metal Fortress" Ability is in play, are benched Pokemon protected from Greninja's "Shadow Stitching" attack? If so, does it also protect Pokemon that come into play on the bench during the opponent's turn?
A. If Bronzong is on the Bench, all benched Pokemon are protected, including ones put into play after the attack has happened (for example, Shaymin-EX's "Set Up" Ability will work in this scenario); however, the Active Pokemon is not protected, even if it goes to the Bench it will not get its Ability back. If Bronzong is Active and has its Metal Fortress shut off, the Benched Pokemon are not protected; even if it moves to the Bench, it will not get its Ability back. Finally, if Bronzong is on the Bench and becomes the Active Pokemon during your turn, it loses its Ability and the Benched Pokémon are no longer protected. (Jun 23, 2016 TPCi Rules Team)

I am glad we can finally put this issue to rest.

PMJ

happy thoughts
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member
Basically it works like this.

If Bronzong is on your Bench, only your Active Pokemon is affected by Shadow Stitching.

If Bronzong is Active, Shadow Stitching shuts everything off as normal.

If Bronzong is on your Bench, but you promote him to your Active position at any time, you lose all the protection you had.