• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Fairy/Mewtwo EX budget deck

avalanche3387

Aspiring Trainer
Experience: Novice

Hi guys, Just created this account to try to get some advice to get back into TCG. I played Gen 1 a bit and quit after Gen 3 for a while and never really played competitively. I just bought my first booster pack in around 8 years a week ago, and have since bought the fairy theme deck, a few trainers (10 cents each) and a Mewtwo Ex (not money I need to spend). I feel like I am a good strategist once the battle starts but I have little experience (and resources) in deck building. I've played a little on TCGO and had some success if I can set up quickly and the opponent doesn't have a standard BKEX or Darkrai deck with lots of Ex that I can't match up to.

What I have listed is just what I have in the physical world.

Deck list updated, some other stuff in OP can be ignored.

Pokemon
  • 2x Xerneas
  • 2x Mewtwo Ex
  • 2-1 Aromatisse (I would like to add another for 2-2)
  • 2-1 Slurpuff
  • 1x Xerneas EX (got it from the tin)

Trainers (listing what I have)
  • 2x Muscle Band
  • 4x Pokemon Catcher
  • 1x Max potion (want 1-2 more)
  • 4x Professor Sycamore
  • 1x Gold Potion (changing to Computer Search or Max Potion)
  • 2x Level Ball
  • 3x Fairy Garden
  • 1x Tool Scrapper (add another?)
  • 3x Ultra Ball
  • 2x Super Rod
  • 3x Exp Share
  • 3x Shauna (might do 4)
  • 4x N
  • 2x Skyla

Energy
  • 10x Fairy
  • 4x Double Colorless Energy

I have another baby Xerneas I could add and I would like to have another Aromatisse, but having some difficulty finding one.

Strategy
Get Aromatisse on the bench with Xerneas to accelerate energy and set Mewtwo Ex up for massive damage.I bought a small stack of trainer cards to try to help before I started reading this forum so I didn't pick out very good cards probably. I have also had a bit of trouble getting the cards, any store around probably doesn't sell singles and those that do have only old cards.

I figure I need most of my help with Trainer cards and might need to get another Mewtwo Ex if I want to win badly. I would like to take part in tournaments, though I don't plan on going hardcore with $100 decks and traveling. So please, I request any suggestions be made with cost in mind. Thanks for any help provided.

RE: Fairy/Mewtwo EX cheap deck

Im sorry but there is nothing standard about this deck in terms of competitive play, beyond the pokemon lineup, even thats a little iffy. Things you need to fix.

-Need more supporters, at least 12. Like 4 Sycamore, 4 Shauna, and 4 of something else.
-Way too much energy. Especially with energy transfer, i think around 10-14 is good. 18 is way too much. Maybe like 4 DCE and 8-10 fairy energy.
-At least 3 Mewtwo Ex. This is basically your only attacker. Dont use Wigglytuff. It takes tons of energy to do any damage and then if its knocked out, and it will be, there goes all your energy.

I was thinking I might have started having too many supporters. Shows my inexperience. Yes I do need more support from my trainers though. Like I said, I got my first card in 8 years a week ago. To have any viability can I survive with one or two Mewtwo? I don't have money to burn on pokemon cards and this may just be a little fun side toy for a few weeks. Will that be enough pokemon in the deck even?

Technically you can probably live without any mewtwo. but you probably wont do very well competitively. I think 3 is the right amount.

Though if you want to play cheaply. I actually feel like a rainbow energy/prism energy deck is technically cheaper. You are open to a lot more cheap attackers. Because fairy pokemon are just not good attackers.

I'm actually running a variation on this deck. Mewtwo EX is wonderful in this deck. And, I know you said "No Xerneas EX," but in March, there'll be a tin coming out with new artwork for Xerneas/Yveltal EX. If you can hold out 'till then, one would be handy in your deck.

Another point to consider is, how often are you able to get your turn-1 Geomancy? How important is that to you? If it is critical, I would recommend Skyla plus Switch, Escape Rope, or Float Stone (Skyla is a League Promo) as well as 1 or 2 more Xerneas.

Continuing with supporters, I would fully recommend a full set of Professor Sycamores (though, I am horribly biased as I feel it is the best card in format) as well as 2 or more N (also a League Promo). You could likely cut out 2 Professor's Letters and 1-2 Fairy Energies to make room (18 energies is a lot in a deck). I know this doesn't make the numbers work out, but at a quick glance, that's some of what I'm seeing.

Thanks for the advice folks. I just finished a tournament with an updated deck. I went 2-3 and finished 13/15. Yeah, not great. Anyway, here's the team I used, and I'm going to update my OP with this new list.

Pokemon
  • 2x Xerneas
  • 1x Mewtwo Ex (more if I wanted to spend money)
  • 1x Jigglypuff (completely 100% filler, will be taken out immediately.
  • 2-1 Slurpuff

Trainers (listing what I have
  • 2x Muscle Band
  • 2x Pokemon Catcher
  • 1x Hard Charm (probably remove)
  • 3x Max Revive (might take one out)
  • 1x Super Potion (eh)
  • 3x Professor Sycamore (want to max)
  • 3x Great Ball (probably take 2-all out)
  • 2x Evosoda (eh)
  • 3x Fairy Garden
  • 4x Professor's Letter (probably take 2 out)
  • 3x Ultra Ball (bought and adding another)
  • 3x Team Flare Grunt (removing all probably)
  • 3x Energy Retrieval (might max)
  • 2x Tierno
  • 1x Shauna (want more)
  • 1x Cassius (Probably replace)

Energy
  • 11x Fairy
  • 2x Double Colorless Energy

I know for sure I want to add at least a couple copies of N too. Just posting the deck I used.

I managed to beat a RayBoar deck with both Spritzee and my lone Mewtwo Ex all prized. Helps he had both of his Emboar prized as well. I lost to a Trubbish tool, Yeti, and shield Aegislash/Keldeo combo. I thought I was hanging in against the trubbish deck until his Genesect pulled out my Mewtwo, then I got destroyed. Also beat a kinda weird steel deck. My wins had Mewtwo Ex as my likely MVP. I want to add another Aromatisse, another Mewtwo, and maybe another Xerneas. If I go with another Mewtwo, I would add another DCE or two.

If for some reason I decide to go to State with this deck, I don't expect to get anywhere close to placing and probably in the bottom 3.

Thanks for the help so far folks, I'll look into the tin Xerneas Ex.

As for this deck as a whole. Once you get another Aromatisse. I dont think you need to much to keep this going in terms of trainers. Since moving energy is just so good and allows you to keep your pokemon alive i suggest a few cards.
-Exp Share to keep energy around after things get knocked out since you are mostly using basic energy.
-Max Potion to move energy away, max potion, then move it back. Very standard for decks that move energy.
-Level Ball to get out basics and Aromatisse faster. Great balls are meh.
-Super Rod to get back pokemon and energy.
-Muscle Band, you probably want at least 1 more

Things to take out:
-Max Revive, its just bad dont use it. It takes up a draw just to get something back into your deck and into your hand.
-Tierno cause most supporters are better
-Cassius since you dont really have stuff you dont want to bench.
-Heavy Charm while okay in defensive decks. Its just not that helpful since its easily tool scrapped before it can do anything.

As for supporter count. Try 4 Sycamore, 4 N, 4 Shauna. That is probably the best bet for a deck like this. It runs great in my Fairy deck. Though i run 3 Shauna and 1 Bianca just because i have a FA of her.

Thanks for all the advice! I went to a league thing and a collector wasn't interested in trainer cards at all so he gave me a bunch that I can use and fit my deck. I got a couple super rods and Exp Shares in and got a full set of N. I also have my second Mewtwo Ex on its way in the mail and should be here soon. I'm excited!

Unfortunately, I have found that Max Potions are rather expensive and difficult to find. So it's unlikely I will be able to use them right now. Also, how useful would a Xerneas Ex really be to this deck? Just tried it some on the TCGO and haven't had much if any use out of it.

Trainer list now:
4x N
4x Sycamore
3x Shauna
2x Muscle Band
4x Ultra Ball
3x Fairy Garden
3x Super Rod
2x Level Ball
4x Pokemon Catcher
3x Exp Share
2x Energy Retrieval
2x Skyla
1x Tool Scrapper
1x Evosoda

Thinking I need to add another Muscle Band for sure, maybe another Shauna. I probably need to take out Evosoda and a Catcher. I'm not sure about the 4th Ultra Ball, Tool Scrapper, or Skyla. Some will come out as I add my new Mewtwo Ex and once I trade for an Aromatisse. The closer the trainer is to the top of my list, the more sure I feel about it in my deck.

What? A playset of N's.... For free? That's like, at least $10 right there if they're in good condition. Also, max potion is extremely easy to find, just look on t and t or cc, or even just at your league, someone will have a spare. Also, skylas are needed in this deck so don't drop them!

I don't think you need 4 ultra ball, that's a bit excessive. Also, I would agree that max potions are not very easy to get, because they only came in EPO and the secret rare in PLF, but they are neccasary in this deck to function, unfortunately. I definitely understand not being able to get them, and I know you're trying to make your deck without dropping too much money, but I'd say that you could get away with having only 2 in here, so I may say that you should just bite the bullet and buy 2 of them. Try trading for them first though, but this deck just kind of needs it.

I managed to trade a few rather common-ish trainers and got an ace spec gold potion and one max potion. My second Mewtwo should be here soon, and my deck is almost complete. I am quite excited!

Between ultra ball, level ball, and evosoda, what should be included? Also, with two Mewtwo, should I still max my DCE? How many Fairy energy? I think only Mewtwo can make good use of the DCE.

With only 2 Mewtwo, you could probably use 3 DCE, but when the Xerneas EX tins come out, you should get some of those then run 4. Also, Evosoda in this deck is pretty much outclassed by level ball, so use them instead. I'd say that you may want to try running 3 or so, that seems like a good number.

Updated me deck in the OP. I'm getting quite close to what could be considered pretty good for what I have. Here is the updated deck list.

Pokemon
  • 2x Xerneas
  • 2x Mewtwo Ex
  • 2-1 Slurpuff
  • 1x Xerneas EX (got it from the tin)

Trainers (listing what I have)
  • 2x Muscle Band
  • 4x Pokemon Catcher
  • 1x Max potion (want 1-2 more)
  • 4x Professor Sycamore
  • 1x Gold Potion (changing to Computer Search or Max Potion)
  • 2x Level Ball
  • 3x Fairy Garden
  • 1x Tool Scrapper (add another?)
  • 3x Ultra Ball
  • 2x Super Rod
  • 3x Exp Share
  • 3x Shauna (might do 4)
  • 4x N
  • 2x Skyla

Energy
  • 10x Fairy
  • 4x Double Colorless Energy

I have another baby Xerneas that I can add in too. What should I take out for it, a second Aromatisse, and a second Max Potion when I get them? Should I take something out to fit in a 4th Shauna too?

I managed to pull a Mew EX from a pack last night and it's now my favorite card I have. Is there any situation where it could be a useful card in this deck? I can't think of any so it probably stays in a trophy case and off the play area.

-1 Super Rod
-1 Gold Potion
-1 Fairy Energy
-4 Pokemon Catcher

+1 Computer Search
+1 Aromatisse
+1 Xerneas EX
+2 Escape Rope
+1 Xerneas
+1 Max Potion

I don't like Catchers, and I think that Escape Rope (while not a replacement) is certainly a more consistent card. Other than that, I just took a few things out and thickened some of your lines to up consistency. Also, I wouldn't go down on Shauna; if anything, I would take a Shauna out and run a Skyla.

Note: I would not consider having a $100 deck and traveling 'Hardcore' Hardcore would be going to 3 full on events per week with a blinged out Empoleon deck.
Anyway, on the list, you need better lines of pokemon. What i suggest you need is:
+1 Aromatisse
+1 Xerneas
+1 Max pot.
+1 Skyla
+1 Colress
+1 Switch

Theres just a brief list of what you need. To make space for these cards is simple:

-2 Catcher (unnecessary card, but a good tech)
-2 Shauna (bad card. Too many draw supporters ATM as well)
-1 super rod (2 is too many)
-1 Fairy energy (10 is too much)

Anyway, i suggest changing the prefix to 'Budget'.

Thanks for the replies. I added a second Aromatisse and baby Xerneas to the deck. I still have to get the computer search, max potion, and escape ropes/switch. Once I do I will add them in over some of the suggested cards. I have states this weekend so hopefully I can at least not embarrass myself.

Quick question. Would a tech version of this work better? I could try to trade for or borrow a couple of cards like Yveltal Ex or Virizion and run it with Rainbow and Prism energies. I kinda feel like it would slow down my energy acceleration too much and I wouldn't be able to conserve energy well enough. I feel like I struggle against dark decks too much, especially opposing Yveltal Ex.

I'm not quite sure how to make it right now, I have mine made using the old Klingklang spread style using Kyorge EX and Groudon EX, but a really cool card that I like in there is Registeel. He hits opposing Xerneas for weakness, putting tons of damage on the board. He can fit in to your energy line, so try one of him and see what he can do for you.

Back