Help Fairy/Fighting Deck Construction

Earl Africa

I love Pokémon, and that will never fade away!
Hello, I'm basically new to the TCG scene. Technically, I played before, but I went on a 10 year hiatus in playing and collecting the Pokemon TCG. I recently came back into collecting just last 2016. So, I have this crazy idea of building a Fairy and Fighting deck centered around Mega Gardevoir (the one found in both Primal Clash and Generations). Anyone wanna give me some tips? I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

Megas in general are not very good right now, this is mostly because
1. Field Blower makes it hard to keep spirit links on
2. GX cards have largely powercrept them, and the lack of access to choice band really hurts their damage:energy ratios compared to GX cards
3. Rotation took away mega turbo which was particularly important for energy scaling megas like Gardevoir and Mewtwo

In general, you really don't want to run Mega Garde with a second type of basic energy because its damage only scales on fairy energy, and requires 2 attachments to attack. Dual energy type decks are pretty uncommon in general due to the inconsistency they introduce, only Tapu Bulu/Vikavolt, Ultra Necrozma/Malamar and some Zoroark variants really run multiple types of basic energy.

I recommend considering Xerneas BREAK as an alternative, as it has a very similar attack to Mega Gardevoir-EX PRC, has built in acceleration from Xerneas XY, and is also a one prize card. As for fighting type partners, I recommend Sudowoodo BKT with Counter Energies. Counter Energy is great because when you're one prize down (which will often be the case in a deck with a one prize attacker) it counts as 2 of any energy, both allowing a one turn powerup of a Xerneas and allowing certain tech cards to work. On Sudowoodo, it can let you copy a Zoroark's Riotous Beating to return an OHKO to it. Baby Buzzwole is another counter energy friendly option, and you can also include a Mewtwo EVO to nab revenge kills on psychic weak things.

Oranguru SUM is key for Xerneas BREAK as is Max Elixir. You should run at least 10 basic energy, ideally 12 to have a good shot at elixirs hitting, you'll want some DCEs and counters since Xerneas damage scales from all energy on your board. Don't get too creative with the draw engine, I'd go with the standard N/Sycamore/Cynthia/Guzma supporter lineup, then standard items like Ultra Ball, Choice Band, Float Stones, and a couple of Field Blower and Rescue Stretcher. Float Stones can be worked around a bit if you run Fairy Garden as your stadium, or you can choose to run a few Parallel City if you want to put the hurt on Zoroark and Necrozma decks, which flounder without being able to run a full bench.

Megas in general are not very good right now, this is mostly because
1. Field Blower makes it hard to keep spirit links on
2. GX cards have largely powercrept them, and the lack of access to choice band really hurts their damage:energy ratios compared to GX cards
3. Rotation took away mega turbo which was particularly important for energy scaling megas like Gardevoir and Mewtwo

In general, you really don't want to run Mega Garde with a second type of basic energy because its damage only scales on fairy energy, and requires 2 attachments to attack. Dual energy type decks are pretty uncommon in general due to the inconsistency they introduce, only Tapu Bulu/Vikavolt, Ultra Necrozma/Malamar and some Zoroark variants really run multiple types of basic energy.

I recommend considering Xerneas BREAK as an alternative, as it has a very similar attack to Mega Gardevoir-EX PRC, has built in acceleration from Xerneas XY, and is also a one prize card. As for fighting type partners, I recommend Sudowoodo BKT with Counter Energies. Counter Energy is great because when you're one prize down (which will often be the case in a deck with a one prize attacker) it counts as 2 of any energy, both allowing a one turn powerup of a Xerneas and allowing certain tech cards to work. On Sudowoodo, it can let you copy a Zoroark's Riotous Beating to return an OHKO to it. Baby Buzzwole is another counter energy friendly option, and you can also include a Mewtwo EVO to nab revenge kills on psychic weak things.

Oranguru SUM is key for Xerneas BREAK as is Max Elixir. You should run at least 10 basic energy, ideally 12 to have a good shot at elixirs hitting, you'll want some DCEs and counters since Xerneas damage scales from all energy on your board. Don't get too creative with the draw engine, I'd go with the standard N/Sycamore/Cynthia/Guzma supporter lineup, then standard items like Ultra Ball, Choice Band, Float Stones, and a couple of Field Blower and Rescue Stretcher. Float Stones can be worked around a bit if you run Fairy Garden as your stadium, or you can choose to run a few Parallel City if you want to put the hurt on Zoroark and Necrozma decks, which flounder without being able to run a full bench.

I kinda forgot that Field Blower is now a thing in the new competitive scene. I do also have the Gardevoir from Burning Shadows, will that card be useful in the tips you have given me? Thanks

If you really want to play megas, Steam Seige M Gardevior EX is prob the one best suited for this meta

I kinda forgot that Field Blower is now a thing in the new competitive scene. I do also have the Gardevoir from Burning Shadows, will that card be useful in the tips you have given me? Thanks

Absolutely. I made my suggestions assuming you were interested in playing a deck that worked sort of like Garde PRC, but Gardevoir-GX is actually a pretty competitive deck right now. It's not been that popular in the meta recently but is 3rd place in total challenge points earned this competitive season which is very respectable.

Gardevoir-GX comes with a built in fighting type partner in Gallade BKT, since they use the same preevo line and Gallade attacks for DCE. If you go to Limitlesstcg you can find tons of Gardevoir lists from recent events that you can netdeck to get started with. There are two main styles of Garde decks I see, pure Gardevoir that focuses more on Gardevoir and usually runs Octillery and sometimes Talonflame, and Gardevoir/Zoroark which focuses on Zoroark but has a thin line of Garde/Gallade for lategame.

Back