Discussion (Expanded) Marshadow-GX in Zoroark/Seismitoad?

Zehuun

Aspiring Trainer
(For reference, I'm talking about the LaserBank variant)
Hi all,

I've been getting back into Expanded in the past few days on the PTCGO, and have been playing one of my old favorites: Seismitoad/Zoroark. The deck, while not overly complex, has options for almost every situation, and can switch between aggressive and controlling playstyles on a dime. However, I really felt that it struggled when it came to explosive decks, namely PikaRom. I found that if I could get item-lock on early, the PikaRom player stood no chance, but if they could get set up by turn 2, they could easily overwhelm me. I feel like Marshadow could give the deck the extra bit of offense it needs to overcome just a single PikaRom while continuing item-lock. True, you cannot use one of your main attacks with Marshadow, but he can utilize FFB, which when equipped, prevents an OHKO by Full Blitz. The problem, as I'm sure you've all been thinking, is that Tag Bolt still one-shots, if you haven't drawn it out by then. I think there are a couple of solutions to this problem. The first requires less investment, but is more inconsistent: Bouffalant BW + Choice Band. After a Seismitoad or Zoroark gets Knocked Out, Revenge + Choice Band does 120 x 2 for PikaRom's Fighting Weakness, for the magic number of 240. The second method requires a 6 card investment: Marshadow-GX, Articuno-GX, Mimikyu/Gengar TT, and 3 Rainbow Energy. Articuno-GX had been used in Zoroark/Toad variants in the past, and I don't see why it can't be successful here. Plus, watching 6 energy being discarded off of a Pikarom is just so satisfying. Note that you would only go with Cold Crush GX if PikaRom bust all of its Max Elixirs/Koko early. Poltergeist, I think, offers a heavy damage option that the deck could use in a ton of different situations. Not to mention, Zoroark gains the ability to use its fairly mediocre, but occasionally very relevant Trickster GX, which in this case could mean 200 damage + 30 from poison.

That said, Larvitar LOT or maybe even Sudowoodo BKP may just do the trick better if looking for a simple answer for a setup Pikarom, but I'd say it's worth testing.

Thoughts?

Back