Expanded Format for Entirety of Houston's Regionals... Expanded Expanding?

And I was so excited for Garbodor and to leave the format. :(

Now I was thinking that with the Expanded format, cards would rotate out too in the same way when they were in standard, so we would have next destinies - on. I'm a tad dissapointed it's like the Modern format. Plus, the modern format is designed for older players who already have those cards from when the bought them in standard. By enforcing that format on a popular tournament event, like others were saying, players will have to buy those old, now expensive, cards to be competitive. Sure, if you played just a normal standard deck, you may do well, but still . . .

I am not a fan of this at all. Towards the end of a rotation is when i get the most excited because "broken" and the most popular decks are rotated out and we get a few months of actual good gameplay before everyone starts netdecking again.

expanded should just be kept to league and the occasional premiere tournament play, it doesn't have a place in the actual format. If I wanted this type of play, i'd just go to magic

I really hope TPCi backpedals on this. Expanded should be a side, fun format, like unlimited. If they want to have a separate expanded format tournament structure thats fine, but don't replace stuff thats normally part of standard

Oh I get you. Not quite as fast as FLF, but I can see the strategy.

Faster, potentially. You go first and get lucky, you can donk any deck no matter the starter. They plonk down a solo 250HP Wailord-EX? Boom, donk it back to their hand and win.

The deck is luck based, but running 4 SSU and an AZ, and you could in theory have 9 chances to donk your opponents Pokemon

Faster, potentially. You go first and get lucky, you can donk any deck no matter the starter. They plonk down a solo 250HP Wailord-EX? Boom, donk it back to their hand and win.

The deck is luck based, but running 4 SSU and an AZ, and you could in theory have 9 chances to donk your opponents Pokemon
Cough Devolution Spray. The biggest problem is Wobb.

Cough Devolution Spray. The biggest problem is Wobb.
And also Garbodor with a tool attached to it. I dunno, maybe there will be decks with Wally Garbodor since Abilities will be strong.

People please don't keep overhyping Next Destinies Shiftry. Wobbuffet, Garbodor and Hex Maniax shut it off. And they shouldn't be hard to get into play.

And also Garbodor with a tool attached to it. I dunno, maybe there will be decks with Wally Garbodor since Abilities will be strong.

People please don't keep overhyping Next Destinies Shiftry. Wobbuffet, Garbodor and Hex Maniax shut it off. And they shouldn't be hard to get into play.

But the point is NXD Shiftry has a chance to donk before any of that comes into play (bar Wobb).

It's a deck that relies on either going first or your opponent not recognising the strategy. But it can donk before you can set any counter measure, that's the strength of it.

Yep, yep. This is just me being silly and forgetting that GPF works on the pre-evolutions, not the Pokemon they evolve into.

Geez this is sounding almost as bad as sabledonk, at least Seeker isn't around anymore.

Last edited:
I'm still not sure what is happening right here.

From what I understood, from now on only city championships and worlds would be standard, while the rest like league tournaments and whatnot (in which you gather points etc. for playing) will all be expanded?

Or is this only in Houston, or all of regionals in USA?

I honestly dont know what is going on, is expanded becoming the biggest format? Will expanded ever rotate? If so how much will rotate? Should I invest in old cards as opposed to newer sets?

There real seems to be nothing but chaos everywhere.

I started playing in Roaring skies, I've read a lot about rotation, but I'm very confused as to what is happening to pokemon TCG in general right now.

I agree with you I wish they did somthing like they do on pokemon tcg online and have standard and expanded format be two different events. Then again this would split up the community and I can't think of anything good coming of that.
Yeah. "Decisions, decisions..."

Last deck I made was an accelgor/trevenant deck right before they decided to print every card possible to make my deck useless, and when I moved for college last summer I never found a league and was kinda focused on settling in and getting a job, now with to new set and rotation coming in I was really looking forward to starting fresh and just letting XY on become its own thing and making a brand new deck, but this news just sours my optimism, I don't want to come back after so long and be playing the same game I was when I first started in BCR, except worse. hopefully this applies to no other official tournaments. I don't want this to be magic where you can basically play the Standard Decks that everyone does or you can go to expanded format and never win because theirs no consistency and the every situation cards are worth huge change. That's also terrible for new players to jump into and with how many kids we have playing and kicking ass I don't think we want to shun them being the largest pool of NEW people, not everyone has their whole family into the game and the support to make it in an expanded format. heck like I said I only got my first job last year and I got by on allowance and gifts in a standard format, but for sopme people its the 1 deck and that's it, expanded kills that security.

TLDR I think this a bad direction for everyone as long as its mandatory. but who knows.

I'm still not sure what is happening right here.

From what I understood, from now on only city championships and worlds would be standard, while the rest like league tournaments and whatnot (in which you gather points etc. for playing) will all be expanded?

Or is this only in Houston, or all of regionals in USA?

I honestly dont know what is going on, is expanded becoming the biggest format? Will expanded ever rotate? If so how much will rotate? Should I invest in old cards as opposed to newer sets?

There real seems to be nothing but chaos everywhere.

I started playing in Roaring skies, I've read a lot about rotation, but I'm very confused as to what is happening to pokemon TCG in general right now.

This would only be for regionals.

Quite an interesting announcement, though I guess some people saw it coming already.

My guess is that for Regionals, Expanded will be the main format, whereas LC's and Nationals+Worlds will be Standard.

I thought all LCs in america were confirmed to be expanded now?

Back