Ruling EXP Share + Divide GX

DashKing

Aspiring Trainer
My younger brother and I were having a game with proxy cards. I was playing Turbo Dark with Darkrai GX and he was playing Espeon Garb. I had 2 Darkrais with 30 and 70 hp left. I had 2 EXP Shares on 2 other pokemon. The Darkrais had 2 energy each. If he knocked out the Darkrais with Divide GX would the EXP Shares Activate? Thanks in advance!

Well, EXP Share only activates if the Active Pokemon is knocked out by damage from an attack not by placing Damage Counters. I believe Espeon-GX places Damage Counters and not actually damage the Active Pokemon so EXP Share won't activate if your opponents Active Pokemon is knocked out by Divide GX.

Divide-GX places damage counters. It does not do damage. While the end result is the same, it is a different mechanic. Placement of damage counters does not interact with effects that prevent, add or reduce damage, or check if any damage had been dealt. A Pokemon that is Knocked Out by placing damage counters on it will not active EXP Share, Teammates, etc. This also applies of a Pokemon is Knocked Out by Poison, Burn or Confusion, since these Special Conditions also place damage counters rather than do damage, as well as any effect that would instantly Knock Out a Pokemon such as Lunala-GX's GX attack.

Back