Exeggutor Variants

Mora

Don't Panic
This thread is used for all competitive discussion on Exeggutor-focused decks. This includes strategies, playstyles, and techs.

You may post decklists here, but only as a means to add to the discussion. If you're looking for advice on your list, post in the Deck Garage.

Articles for Exeggutor:

Mees Brenninkmeijer's "Scrambling for a Good Deck: Exeggutor"

Grant Manley's "Inside a Rogue Mind: Working With Crawdaunt and Milotic

Pokemon: 10

• 4 Exeggutor PLF
  • 4 Exeggcute PLF
  • 1 Virizion EX
  • 1 Jirachi EX
Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums: 32
  • 4 Professor Juniper
  • 1 N
  • 1 Lysandre
  • 4 VS Seeker
  • 4 Hypnotoxic Laser
  • 4 Ultra Ball
  • 4 Crushing Hammer
  • 3 Battle Compressor
  • 3 Muscle Band
  • 1 Computer Search
  • 2 Virbank City Gym
Energy: 8
  • 8 Grass Energy

Free Spots: 11

Strategy:

This deck's strategy is to lock your opponent out of the game by preventing them from playing Supporters with Exeggutor's attack Blockade. Battle Compressor easily searches out Exeggcutes (Propogation immediately gets them back out of the discard pile), Supporters to get back with VS Seeker, or just to thin your deck in general. The attack has an underwhelming base 10 damage, so the majority of your damage output comes from Laserbank and Muscle Band. There is also a plethora of disruption at your disposal to slow your opponent down even further; see good Additions below.

Good Additions:
  • Dragalge
  • Genesect EX / Plasma Energy
  • Mr. Mime
  • Electrode
  • Slurpuff
  • Acro Bike
  • Enhanced Hammer
  • Team Flare Grunt
  • More Supporters
  • More Virbank City Gym
  • Archie's Ace / Empoleon / Swampert
  • Head Ringer
  • Switch / Escape Rope
  • Dowsing Machine

Last edited by a moderator:

Aviste

Aspiring Trainer
Mr.Mime is a must in this deck. With the popularity of Landorous still there. I actually use Genesect, plasma energy, and G-Booster to finish off the game generally

Mora

Don't Panic
Landorus hasn't been doing as well recently, but with a 30 HP Basic, Mr. Mime is definitely worth the space and was included under Good Additions. This is a skeleton after all. I personally play Mr. Mime in my list. Genesect and Plasma Energy also made Good Additions, but I have yet to see G Booster being played as the Ace Spec.

Gengar master

shiny Pokémon bait
Advanced Member
Random Receiver is a good addition, IMO. However, I would have Genesect EX + Plasma Energy combo and get rid of the Lysandre. You can discard Trump Card with Compressor to make sure you won't get that with the random receiver.

Gaia Storm TCG

Aspiring Trainer
Recently I've been trying a variant with a 1-1 line of Dragalge with the addition of the Archie+Empoleon combo... and it works wonders. It's really consistent and empoleon helps to draw the cards you need. One of the best decks I've played in this format, no doubts. :D

Aviste

Aspiring Trainer
Archie Empoleon seems like a good idea in this deck. Its nice if you find the ever rare Pyroar. Also the draw is nice since you have propagation and a smaller supporter line.

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
Many people have mentioned it before, but not in this thread: 3-4 Exeggcute is actually a good play, as exeggcute can easily get itself back out of the discard.

grantm1999

VileGar
bbninjas said:
Many people have mentioned it before, but not in this thread: 3-4 Exeggcute is actually a good play, as exeggcute can easily get itself back out of the discard.

That makes it difficult to play with one prized, and impossible to play with two prized.

Also, Town Map works well in this deck. You could also put Xerosic and/or Startling Megaphone in the good additions section. They go with the lock theme and prevent Garbodor from destroying the deck.

Blah

DBT
I actually sort of agree with the 3-4 eggs thing to save space. Yes, you lose if you prize two eggs, but prizing one doesn't matter because you generally only put two eggs into play anyway--so if one Exeggutor dies, you have another one to back it up AND you can just take the dead egg out of your discard to get ready for the next one.

Draaka

Aspiring Trainer
Do you think this could work with Bats as a main damage source instead of Laser bank? I've been playing a rough list and it's taken down night march a few times, but I guess that's kinda easy with bats and supporter lock.

• 1 Shaymin EX
  • 3-3 exeggutor
  • 4-4-4 Crobat

• 4 Battle Compressors
  • 1 Revive
  • 1 Scoop up Cyclone
  • 4 Super Scoop ups
  • 4 Ultra Balls
  • 4 VS seeker
  • 2 AZ
  • 1 Lysandre
  • 1 Trump Card
  • 2 Proff Birch Observations
  • 4 Sycamore
  • 3 Wally
  • 3 Muscle band

It's just a rough list I threw together but it's been very fun to play. Not very reliable through. But if you can go second and get a first turn lock off then it's awesome.

GadgetJax

Traveling Storyteller and Card Faker
I'm not sure if Exeggutor is really deserving of a spot up here anymore. Pokemon draw (Shaymin-EX, Slurpuff, Unown) & Item draw (Acro Bike, Roller Skates) are getting so popular, that they've made Exeggutor quite redundant, and Lysandre's Trump Card is also gone, so it can't recycle Lasers anymore, leaving it doing a VERY small amount of damage.

RequiemCrysis

Aspiring Trainer
I'm not sure if Exeggutor is really deserving of a spot up here anymore. Pokemon draw (Shaymin-EX, Slurpuff, Unown) & Item draw (Acro Bike, Roller Skates) are getting so popular, that they've made Exeggutor quite redundant, and Lysandre's Trump Card is also gone, so it can't recycle Lasers anymore, leaving it doing a VERY small amount of damage.
I guess its like pyroar, maybe its not viable, but it was good deck in past, and tier 4 is worth mention it.

Ms Hugo

Aspiring Trainer
Might Exeggutor/Vileplume have a worthy place in Expanded, once Ancient Origins and Giant Plant Forest hits? Or Exeggutor/Victreebel to make up for the lack of Laser?

DarkMatterGaming

Aspiring Trainer
I say neither; Exeggutor/Ariados AOR with the Mr. Mime tech and a 1-1 Dragalgae line seems like it'd work fantastic. ...in my head.

TheStrictNein

Has tried turning it off and on again
Exeggutor/Vileplume is the deck in my mind. Once you have Eggs and Vileplume out you have basically won. Even at 30 damage a turn with no Laser support (can easily tech in a thin Victreebel line to supplement the damage) your opponent can do literally nothing except play Stadiums, Pokemon and Energy. The only card I would be worried about is Energy, but TFG and Xerosic still exist.

RequiemCrysis

Aspiring Trainer
Exeggutor/Vileplume is the deck in my mind. Once you have Eggs and Vileplume out you have basically won. Even at 30 damage a turn with no Laser support (can easily tech in a thin Victreebel line to supplement the damage) your opponent can do literally nothing except play Stadiums, Pokemon and Energy. The only card I would be worried about is Energy, but TFG and Xerosic still exist.

Ariados AOR to poison enemy. 50 damage every turn.

Not sure about only 4 TFG is enough, and Vir/Gen or Stell Shelter can hurt damage output a lot. I guess Giant Plant Forest+Shaymin EX+Exeggutor+Vileplume+Ariados can be devastating.

TheStrictNein

Has tried turning it off and on again
Ariados AOR to poison enemy. 50 damage every turn.

Not sure about only 4 TFG is enough, and Vir/Gen or Stell Shelter can hurt damage output a lot. I guess Giant Plant Forest+Shaymin EX+Exeggutor+Vileplume+Ariados can be devastating.

Exactly.

As you wont be playing items beyond the first turn (Although 4 Level Ball and 4 Ultra Balls are a must), and the energy requirement is low, you play a lot of supporters and Stadiums.

Could even run 4-4 GPF/SL to shut down Wobb after setting up

RequiemCrysis

Aspiring Trainer
One thing I worries about is you need muscle band before setting up Vileplume, you may need multiple muscle band. Using hex maniac allows using item for one turn, but it also allows opponent to use it. AZ allows you using item and then evolve again but it needs GPF and mid-lategame you want other stadium, such as virbank or silent lab. Also, against grass or theta stop pokemon, you can't poison it, massively decreasing damage, especially without muscle band.

socery

I love being bad
I think Exeggutor has a great chance of being good in expanded. With vileplume and Broken Vine Space, it could get the supporter and item lock down.