Ruling Evolving

Toonnee

Aspiring Trainer
hiya, i'm quite new to tcg so i went through the manual but i came across evolution. how does this exactly work. can you explain rare candies, darkness grace and whether you are allowed to evolve more than once. thx

Evolution is simply placing a card that says "evolves from such and such" on a such and such card. The card name you evolve from must be the exact same as what the evolution says it evolves from. (dark haunter can't evolve to a gengar that say's "evolves from haunter"). You can't evolve on your first turn, but after that you can evolve as many different pokemon as you like during your turn, but a pokemon must be in play since the beginning of your turn to evolve normally, and once a pokemon evolves, it's considered a new pokemon, so you can't evolve it again normally till your next turn.

Rare Candy is a card that allows you to skip a stage of evolution (like you can go straight from gastly to gengar, even if you don't have a haunter). Please be aware however that rare candy recently received an errata, it can no longer be used on the first turn and it can only be used on a pokemon that have been in play since the beginning of the turn.

Darkness Grace is an attack that allows you to search your deck and evolve one of your pokemon. It is worth noting that you can use this attack to evolve a pokemon that came into play that turn. Most effects (from pokepowers, pokebodies, abilities, and attacks) that evolve your pokemon ignore this rule.

Back