'Evolving Skies,' August's English TCG Set!

WinterShorts

Aspiring Trainer
Could they have at least given Blissey more HP? Why is the Pokemon with a base HP of 255 in the videogames as small as Stage 1 Pokemon from Generation 5?

ThatUnlimitedProfessor

Aspiring Trainer
Am I the only one that truly doesn't like these type of cards, where Pokemon actually creates the archetypes on purpose? It seems like a really lazy way to play the game, especially when these decks beat well created decks.

Diego Lima

Aspiring Trainer
Having V or non-rulebox attackers is gonna be very important after rotation. So much Vmax walling.

That or Phoebe's.

I personally hate that so much. Especially when we're in a format where you absolutely cannot miss a beat or you'll most likely lose, so your deck has to be pretty much all consistency cards and you're barely left with slots for techs.

ELTRENDY BEAST

Aspiring Trainer
I made a list of what I think this needs to be a good deck.

1. Make one of the evolutions have an ability that is pretty much a sky field but you need atleast 3 pokemon with that atack to activate.

2. Some draw support from one of the evolutions. Something like when you bench a pokemon with that atack you may draw 2 cards.

3. A higher multiplier even with what I listed in number 1 that would only do 160. Maybe just make one of the evolutions do 60 plus 20 for each round.

I think if they add ant 2 of these that will make the deck way better. Plus even if they added all of them it won't be op because it needs 3 stage 1.

Nyora

A Cat
Could they have at least given Blissey more HP? Why is the Pokemon with a base HP of 255 in the videogames as small as Stage 1 Pokemon from Generation 5?
HP in the TCG is not related to HP in the video games. It's a lot more to due with chunkiness

MagnaDrake

Aspiring Trainer
HP in the TCG is not related to HP in the video games. It's a lot more to due with chunkiness
Sometimes it reflects, sometimes it doesnt. Wailord consistently have high HP in whatever sets it has been released. Blissey V also has respectable HP for its class, so I have no idea why they cant give this stage 1 Blissey a 160-180 HP.

On another note, yeah, this archetype needs some sort of a Tea Break-like ability to boost consistency and absolutely needs a Sky Field reprint. I do hope this is hinting to that.

Nyora

A Cat
Sometimes it reflects, sometimes it doesnt. Wailord consistently have high HP in whatever sets it has been released. Blissey V also has respectable HP for its class, so I have no idea why they cant give this stage 1 Blissey a 160-180 HP.

On another note, yeah, this archetype needs some sort of a Tea Break-like ability to boost consistency and absolutely needs a Sky Field reprint. I do hope this is hinting to that.
balance. Typically, a Pokemon's HP for a generation is set, with a difference of about 10~ every time, positive or negative. In some cases, such as Blissey, HP can be lowered or raised drastically to improve balance. I'd personally rather use a different Pokemon at that point, but I guess as long as it's within the range of it being believable, it's fine. This occurred with Mad Party's Bunnelby, where it has 40 HP instead of it's typical 60-70. It'll happen to future cards, too.

Little_Snorlax

Aspiring Trainer
  • Sandshrew, Jigglypuff, Wooloo - cool that these three and Marill will be in Evolving Skies. The problem on these "Let's Roll" pokemon is just doing 100 for 2 energy isn't enough to OHKO 3 Prized Pokemon. You always capped at 200 (applied weakness) means it wasn't enough. Sure you can KO a Crobat using Sandshrew, but that's it. Jiggypuff can't even KO RS Urshifu V without Vitality Band. Second problem, bench space. You have no room for Draw engines etc, and also, Mew is rotated. So some Pokemon that do 30 spread can use Telescopic Sight to take 6 prizes in 1 turn without too much effort. 3/3/3
  • Chansey/Blissey - same thing except it counters RS Urshifu with Scroll of Swirls and Passimian. 3/3
Are they pokemon V or Gx? How sight can do more spread dmg to them?

Dark Espeon

Dark Avatar
Suicune V: Nice addition to water decks. the attack cost is low and can hit for up to 220 or 280. The latter number refers to an Eternatus Vmax match. The ability combos well with the new Altaria or Mewtwo. I could even see this card being used in water Rapid Strike decks. It may not be the center of a deck but it sure is a nice addition.

Kyurem: The multiplier is decent for a 1-prize Pokémon. Frosmoth seems to be a natural partner but he is confined to acceleration to benched [W] Pokémon. Melonie is not an option either since she is confined to accelerate to Pokémon V. This leaves us with Froslass as the only means to directly accelerate to Kyurem which is limited in terms of the amount of energies that can be accelerated to the battlefield.

Yaginku

H-on Will Save Pokemon
I think Suicune isn't that, the attack's pretty cheap and hits hard. Hell, I can even see it being splashed (ha) if any Fire deck gets too good or is just a bad match-up.

EDIT: Oh yeah, also Kyurem is a deck now. 6 energy isn't that hard to get with Frosmoth and it's another one-prizer that follows the Blacephalon way of hitting way above its own health.

Platinum Espresso

Falinks Fanatic
Kyurem, despite the awkward steel energy, could be a brutal deck with the right support, hitting for 360 damage off of 6 discarded energy. Could be an amazing end game cleaner, though the steel energy makes it rough to slot into water decks (maybe add 1/2 aurora energy with it?)

Mimikeon

Aspiring Trainer
I like both of these cards. I might make Kyurem a meme ADP partner in Expanded lol. Actually it might be a good Archie's Blastoise option too...

N's Rhyperior

Aspiring Trainer
  • Suicune V - I kinda like this. For 2 energy, getting OHKO on almost every Pokemon V, plus some extra draw right there... 5 Geodudes
  • Kyurem - Frosmoth only works on W Pokemon, Melony only works on Vs, what's your purpose? 3

Ev1l

Aspiring Trainer
Suicune V: Nice addition to water decks. the attack cost is low and can hit for up to 220 or 280. The latter number refers to an Eternatus Vmax match. The ability combos well with the new Altaria or Mewtwo. I could even see this card being used in water Rapid Strike decks. It may not be the center of a deck but it sure is a nice addition.

Kyurem: The multiplier is decent for a 1-prize Pokémon. Frosmoth seems to be a natural partner but he is confined to acceleration to benched [W] Pokémon. Melonie is not an option either since she is confined to accelerate to Pokémon V. This leaves us with Froslass as the only means to directly accelerate to Kyurem which is limited in terms of the amount of energies that can be accelerated to the battlefield.
Frosmoth is not a bad option actually, if you take a second look kyurem doesn't need to discard water energies from itself, you can attach the energies from your benched Pokémon and discard them for the attack just like blacephalon GX or dragon Majesty's turtonator