'Evolving Skies,' August's English TCG Set!

GymLdrJesse

Twitter/X @JessePrker
Advanced Member
Gourgeist and swap cup are unplayable, but pumpkaboo is a slightly worse resetting hole marshadow that will definitely see play after rotation. Having an easily searchable out to removing path to the peak (which gets way stronger after swell rotates) will be important to have.

ShinxieDim

bbbbbbbbbbbbbb
I might be the only one, but I'm really tired of all these effects that only happen when a Pokémon is played onto your Bench, and then that Pokémon does nothing for the rest of the game. It's so unengaging.

It feels like they try to make a lot of them attacks, but because of how monstrous power creep has become, they compromise with a one-off ability instead, and... bleah.

DrPokeDad

Aspiring Trainer
I might be the only one, but I'm really tired of all these effects that only happen when a Pokémon is played onto your Bench, and then that Pokémon does nothing for the rest of the game. It's so unengaging.

It feels like they try to make a lot of them attacks, but because of how monstrous power creep has become, they compromise with a one-off ability instead, and... bleah.

You could always scoop-up net it off the bench to clear space or to reuse its ability. This flexibility, assuming your deck plays net, may make it better than marshadow IMO.

DrPokeDad

Aspiring Trainer
Gourgeist and swap cup are unplayable, but pumpkaboo is a slightly worse resetting hole marshadow that will definitely see play after rotation. Having an easily searchable out to removing path to the peak (which gets way stronger after swell rotates) will be important to have.

Is pump worse than Marshadow? Given the ability to reuse it with scoop-up net, I would argue that its at least equivalent in playability.

N's Rhyperior

Aspiring Trainer
The difference between Oranguru and Swap Cups is Oranguru was on an ability. Which means you can use it every turn whenever you feel like it. Swap Cups? You have to find it, the time you desperately need it.

Bongooo

Eternatus VMAX is Mega Rayquaza's goth phase
Are those the same cups as in the battle animation for the move trick in sword and shield?

Rocket The Shellos

Aspiring Trainer
grass type kangaskhan without the twin compatibility and a baby version of togekiss vmax

victini honestly isnt an awful card if you can afford to run twin energy esp for single prize decks

Yaginku

H-on Will Save Pokemon
Victini is an interesting alternative to Togekiss VMAX, if you want to save your deck slots and only care about set-up.

Rozureido

Aspiring Trainer
Victini being card number 012 puts my fears of Charizard being in the set to rest. No room between number 009 Applin and it for a 3 card line, and no fire types in Towering Perfection. Thank god. With the Eeveeloutions being in Evolving Skies it's going to be a hard enough set to get with without the inclusion of Scalpizard.

MagnaDrake

Aspiring Trainer
Victini is a really good card in limited formats, but unfortunately faces the same threat end-of-turn deck searchers all have in the form of Marnie and Reset Stamp.

Could probably go into a Single-prize control deck, though. I think its the first time I see the attack effect on a single prizer.

Platinum Espresso

Falinks Fanatic
Victini should be safer with Milotic from Eevee Heroes, due to it blocking hand shuffling. Control decks in general would love that Milotic.

LightYearLiam

Victini is a cool and interesting card, but Tropius...I honestly don't know what they were thinking. What's the point of essentially reprinting a card that was released so recently that both it and the new card will rotate out together when the time comes? Just giving it a different type isn't an interesting enough distinction in this case. Did they just get lazy? Sigh. At least the art is very pretty, but so is most card art nowadays (which is of course a very good thing).

ShinxieDim

bbbbbbbbbbbbbb
"Okay designers, Creatures is giving us 24 hours to design the entirety of Sky Stream. Let's roll some dice to see what cards from last year we'll copy over to this set. But make sure that you give them a new type so that the players don't notice."

The Fish

0.o
This set looks like its going to be pure unplayable cards. Hopefully I'm wrong but all the good cards are Vs or Vmax.
Everyone was saying this for Matchless Fighters and then Passimian rolled up alongside the entire setlist. Patience my friend, there will be good stuff in these sets. Believe in the heart of the cards :D

momand

Aspiring Trainer
Don't know why creatures keeps deciding to make these bland revenge type cards that only see play in very specific niches (ZoroCounters getting Shaymin SLG and Bouffalant/Druddigon being decent 1-ofs in their respective formats) but whatever. Definitely filler

Victini seems fine but doesn't seem to fit anywhere in standard other than maybe in Altaria, and even then we have Zacian which fits the same niche way better because you can draw cards behind Altaria without having to give up an immediate prize (after getting Marnie'd no less). No point in playing it in Expanded when we have Togekiss as a deck which has no reason to play Victini as a backup 1 prize version of itself (ADP also exists in Expanded :))

Last edited:

GymLdrJesse

Twitter/X @JessePrker
Advanced Member
Is pump worse than Marshadow? Given the ability to reuse it with scoop-up net, I would argue that its at least equivalent in playability.
Yes that's true, it is reusable with scoop, but marshadow is stronger because you can preemptively have it on your bench and it doesnt take up a bench spot, which is very important for a lot of decks. I question how many decks will actually be viable with 4 scoop up net post rotation (due to team up jirachi rotating) but that remains to be seen.