Equinox - A 5th Gen OU RMT By Daft Punk (ShadowLugia)

Guts

CyberPhunk

sound_wave.gif

EQUINOX

A RMT By: Daft Punk
450.gif
485.gif
227.gif
407.gif
593.gif
149.gif

This team fought it's way to a score of 1414 points on the Smogon OU ladder, with a peak ranking of #39 (still climbing).

INTRO

Hello PokeBeach! It sure has been a while, hasn't it? A lot of things have happened since my last RMT; so many changes to the forum! It's quite something to see. And yes, you saw correctly, I am now part of the moderating staff! I'd like to take this time to personally thank everyone who's supported and guided me all the way to where I am today. I couldn't have come close to a team like this without your help! PokeBeach's VG program is a long-running dynasty, but after some of the founders of the program left, the forum itself fell into disrepair. But now I, along with the rest of the staff, are intent on making PokeBeach the VG community it once was. I think this RMT represents the new role I'll be fulfilling in the future of the program, and it's a great start. :] Again, shout out to all my bros on the PO server and on Skype, you guys REALLY pushed me through this. But enough with the mushy stuff, let's get on with the RMT itself.

Stall teams were a small but driving force in Generation 4, and it was incredible to see teams like Kevin Garret Stall slowly but surely pick a team apart, until the opponent had nothing left to stand on. I thought that stall really needed to show that it could still work in the next gen, even with hyper-offensive teams ruling the leader boards in the earlier days. Even the popular Rain Stall team archetype isn't full-on stall. So I focused my efforts on creating a simple stall team, using classic techniques like spreading status and setting up hazards, but adding a new twist with Gen 5 threats.

TEAM BUILDING

I wanted to start out with something simple, but effective. I didn't have much competitive experience in using stall teams, so I decided on using the old SkarmBliss defensive core to get things rolling along.

242.gif
227.gif

So that's really all I had for a while, lol. I read up on Smogon, and noticed that I lacked some important stall functions: entry hazards and a Rapid Spinner. I basically looked down the list of possible Rapid Spinners and Donphan looked to be a good choice. Donphan enjoys high usage stats and survivability in UU, so I'd thought he'd be fun to try out in OU. Although I had better Rapid Spin options in Tentacruel, Starmie, and some other lower-tier choices, I thought Donphan would lay down some foundation for eventual additions to the team.

242.gif
227.gif
232.gif

So to finish up the entry hazard trio, I needed a Toxic Spike abuser. You may have noticed that I use very simple team-building strategies; I think of something the team needs, look through a list of the Pokemon who can preform that job, and select the best fit. This is a method that I've always used and felt comfortable with, since you can easily fix mistakes by testing and making the needed replacements. So, with Toxic Spikes in mind, defensive Roserade looked to make an excellent teammate.

242.gif
227.gif
232.gif
407.gif

Again, I saw that the team lacked a necessity, being a bulky water-type. Tentacruel was considered for this spot, as well as the role of a Toxic spiker. However, I felt that tentacruel didn't preform too well outside of rain, and after a bit of testing, I felt that he didn't have the synergy this type of team relies on. I still consider Tentacruel every now and then, and I'd love to see an argument on why he'd make a good choice on this team. But as for the spot, I loved using Jellicent as an all-around wall, and his ability to cripple set-up sweepers (mostly physical ones) made a solid reason for being added to the team.

242.gif
227.gif
232.gif
407.gif
593.gif

Next up, I had a member added that I had been thinking about for a while. That member was support Latias, and she was a JERK last generation. Without today's offensive momentum, many teams were easily stalled out by support Latias, a pokemon that could abuse Roar, Wish, and/or support at the same time. So that finished off the last of the "skeleton" of my team.

242.gif
227.gif
232.gif
407.gif
593.gif
380.gif

Well, I charged headlong into Smogon's server and get my butt properly handed to me after I rank up to a little above average. I really needed to learn how stall plays. So again, smogon was the place to study up and practice, asking a couple of players how they used Stall, and what strengths/weaknesses it had. It was quite a task! But I finally got used to Stall's battle style, and managed to improve my prediction/attitude in battles. So now, the team needed to reflect that same change. I noticed that the Skarm/Roserade/Jellicent Core preformed well, so I decided to make changes based of of that. I wanted something more specially defensive, and Jirachi made a wonderful counter to all the Thundurus running around then. Or at least a decent counter. Blissey wasn't doing much in the SpD department due to hax and many Stall-outs, so she was replaced.

385.gif
227.gif
232.gif
407.gif
593.gif
380.gif

So now, the team was getting somewhere. Synergy against weather really helped me out in a lot of battles (most of which were stall/ragequits) and I was usually able to get hazards up and the rest followed smoothly. Battles were getting a lot tougher with the shifting metagame and the popularity of Rain. Like before, Skarm, Rose, and Jellicent were HUGE in being able to check offensive and increasingly defensive threats. Latias was doing fine, but I needed something that could actually hold off Volcarona, which was an annoyingly large threat to the team. I still wanted the same coverage, however, and found that Specially Defensive Dragonite worked perfectly for that spot, having reliable recovery, viability, Multiscale, and many other factors.

385.gif
227.gif
232.gif
407.gif
593.gif
149.gif

Wow! This team was really coming together! I couldn't believe how nicely each Pokemon synergized with another, and I was very proud that such an original team was doing well on the ladder. I still had a few problems. Donphan was a prominent one, since it rarely did anything other than get SR up and Spin. Even though it did it's job, I needed something a little more versatile, similar to Dnite. But what other spinners were out there? I checked up on Smogon yet again, and found Claydol. Claydol could fill the exact same role Donphan could, and could do it as an underrated counter in the OU Metagame. I tested him out, and he did MUCH better than I expected he would. He had decent offensive coverage, and could set up SR and spin with the best of them. A small but effective change.

385.gif
227.gif
344.gif
407.gif
593.gif
149.gif

Now the team was in full motion. I had great synergy going, and matches were going fairly well. But I just wasn't finding the success I knew this team could achieve. So I took one long last look at me team, tested it even more, and after that testing, I found that Hippowdon made an excellent team lead and was able to shrug off hits from nearly any other lead in the weather-infested metagame. I tested him out, and he worked perfectly for the team. Although I lost Rapid Spin Support in Claydol, I found an awesome weather lead and stalling machine in Hippowdon.

450.gif
385.gif
227.gif
407.gif
593.gif
149.gif

Alright, this is the team that I first made the RMT with. But after some hard thinking and some suggestions by Bravo, I decided to go ahead and add Heatran to the team. He worked very well, adding just a small amount of offensive presence to the team while still being able to shuffle out and wall some threats to a certain degree. Tran really helped rid the team of a fire weakness, which wasn't too transparent until I took a harder look at the team. Thanks Blake. ;]

450.gif
485.gif
227.gif
407.gif
593.gif
149.gif

So, that's the team you see before you, the one that managed to hit #47 on the Smogon OU ladder, under my private laddering alt. I really couldn't believe that I managed to be one of the top 50 ranked battlers on Smogon, even if it was for just a couple of minutes. ^_^ Now that you know how I built the team, we'll take a closer look at it.

IN-DEPTH

200px-450Hippowdon.png

Hippowdon (M) @ Leftovers
Relaxed Nature (+SpD, -Spe)
Trait: Sand Stream
EV's: 252 HP / 72 Def / 184 SpD
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Roar
- Slack Off

So, we start off the team with the previously mentioned Hippowdon. Hippowdon makes a fantastic Pokemon to lead with, since his main job is to set up Sandstorm. However, Hippowdon usually makes late game appearances as well, since he can reliably recover and shuffle when I need him to. Getting Stealth Rocks up is also essential, as is for every stall team. This team isn't meant to be weather-based, so using Hippowdon is a fresh experience in place of using Tyranitar. This does, however, leave me vulnerable to other weather teams. Rain is the obvious threat, with only a couple of team members sponging SpA monsters like Starmie, Jirachi, etc. Sun could be harder to deal with, but I think that my team can play around it easily if I can predict correctly.
Hippo's weakness, obviously, is his pitiful special defenses. The current nature and EV's help offset this weakness while still maintaining a monstrous HP and Defense stat. This is key in maintaining the stall factor against weather teams, as mentioned before. For example, Hippowdon is great at coming in on non-invested attackers (like Scald from Tentacruel). Some calcs I found on smogon also proved to be very interesting:

Uninvested Politoed Scald- 40-47.1%
Uninvested Ninetails Fire Blast- 27.1% - 32.1%

He can also stall out some other predominant Special attackers like the lati twins, easily taking neutral hits from Dragon Pulse, and even non-specs Draco Meteor in some cases. I was amazed to see just how many things Hippowdon walls in such an offensively-paced metagame, so he naturally found his way to the weather-lead position.

Heatran_by_Kinneas64.png

Heatran @ Air Balloon
Modest Nature (+SpA, -Atk)
Trait: Flash Fire
EV's: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power Ice OR Grass
- Earth Power
- Roar

The only "true" offensive Pokemon on the team. Heatran was already in consideration over Jirachi on the team; I just had the wrong set in mind. This thing sufficiently takes care of many threats to the team, even CM Jirachi if it doesn't have too many boosts up. I also opted for Roar over Dragon Pulse at some points, since I knew that getting hazards up and shuffling would be a higher priority in higher-ranked battles. Dragon pulse has been minimally useful for taking care of things like Dragonite and Hydreigon, but HP Ice is generally more useful, although maintaining an advantage over Rotom-W is very important. As to what moves to use is still something I'm experimenting with, and the current setup seems to be working pretty well, but I'd always appreciate advice or suggestions.
EV's are standard (noticing a pattern?), since I'm wanting to maximize speed and SpA to get kills quickly and easily. Sometimes I've wondered if using a more defensive set with some SpD or HP EV's would be better, but I really haven't had enough time to test it, which is another hint on how successful Heatran was on the team. The F/W/G core really did a lot more than I expected for team, and having synergy for nearly any move I expect has been a huge benefit. Pretty cool picture too. :D

skarmory.png

Skarmory (M) @ Leftovers
Impish Nature (+Def, -SpA)
Trait: Sturdy
EV's: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
- Brave Bird
- Whirlwind
- Spikes
- Roost

Skarmory is here for what? You guessed it, setting up Spikes and phazing. Skarm can check almost any physical threat this team has problems with, although it certainly can't do that on it's own. One of my favorite terms that describes Skarmory is a "Defensive Pivot", which I like to think of as a Pokemon that allows me to analyze what my opponent is doing offensively, and send out the needed counter, or stall long enough to set up hazards and phaze around until I'm in a good position.
There's not much else to explain, other than the moveset and EV's. The moves I use are standard, as you would come to aspect. Brave Bird is there so I don't become Taunt bait, and the Spikes/Whirlwind combo is there for the reasons mentioned earlier. Once I get a couple of Whirlwinds off with Skarm (especially against lesser players) I get more ragequits, lol. And finally, we have Roost, which makes a fantastic recovery move. The only problem with Roost is that through these long battles, my opponent starts guessing when I will roost, and will either make a smart switch or hit me with now-effective move. But that's all up to how smart I play. Skarmory has been part of the team from the very beginning, and it couldn't have been more helpful.

407_roserade.png

Roserade (F) @ Black Sludge
Calm Nature (+SpD, -Atk)
Trait: Natural Cure
EV's: 252 HP / 120 Def / 136 SpD
- Aromatherapy
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power Ground
- Toxic Spikes

Here we have Roserade, one of the lesser-used Pokemon in OU. Roserade generally isn't one of the first Pokemon you think of when "Defensive Pokemon" comes to mind. However, it does two things that are extremely important to the team: setting up Toxic Spikes (which are crucial in some battles) and providing Aromatherapy support, which are two of the main reasons I choose it over Ferrothorn, which arguably has better typing and defenses. That doesn't mean the Rose is a bad Pokemon. Having limited recovery and some offensive potential (I sometimes use Sleep Powder in place of HP Ground to get switch synergy going, and it definitely helps with the Sleep mechanics being in my favor), Rose makes an important and unexpected team member.
Roserade serves a very important purpose since it's my main switch into Rotom-W, who can give the rest of the team some trouble. Although Rose is the only electric resist, the banning of Thundurus and having Dragonite and Jirachi support definitely help bear the burden. Again, EV's are standard. Roserade was going to take more moves from the special spectrum, but I didn't want to leave it vulnerable to even neutral physical threats. Black Sludge is something that I've had a lot of questions about, with the popularity of Trick Rotom-W and Latios, oftentimes Roserade is the only thing I have on the team that could possibly benefit from a trick, and only barely at that. Still, Roserade makes another fantastic team support member.

7_day_doodles___u_jellicent_by_mcknackus_theoneth-d47e4am.png

Jellicent @ Leftovers
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
Trait: Water Absorb
EV's: 252 HP / 216 Def / 40 Spe
- Surf
- Recover
- Taunt
- Will-o'-Wisp

Where would stall teams be without bulky water-types? Jellicent plays the extremely important role of spin blocker and physical wall on my team. Jelly is a fantastic support Pokemon that I can rely on in many situations, which makes him a valuable and long-time team member. Assuring that my hazards aren't swept away is, basically, one of my win conditions, so it's hard just to push how crucial he is to the team. Jellicent, in my opinion, is the epitome of a stallbreaker.
Jellicent's moveset is pretty standard. Since he functions as a type of physical wall, Will-o'-wisp is a good option for almost any switch in, since I can get some residual damage on nearly anything. Surf does a good amount of damage too, since I can usually get the burn with WoW anyways. Taunt really ruins a lot of Pokemon's day, especially if I can predict something that wants to set up is sent out, so then I can make another move without having to worry. Recover is also a godsend, since it allows Jelly to stall out some close battles, which again, is great to use if I predict a switch. This makes for pretty much the ideal Jellicent set, excluding Energy Ball Jellicent, naturally.
Jellicent has it's share of problems, though, the largest of which being Starmie. Coming in to a Rapid Spin is often obvious, so I either have to take a Tbolt to the face or deal with the consequences. I often find myself Recover-stalling Starmie, and it usually wins with Thunderbolt having more PP. Roserade does help in this effort, but it usually involves some risky plays. Jellicent stops lots of common threats that would harm this team such as Heatran, Infernape, Scizor, SD luke (with ice punch), and is scarily enough my best answer to taunt Gliscor. The EV's and nature are pretty much a given, maximizing defensive power while maintaining some moderate speed. All in all, Jellicent makes another excellent defensive pivot and spin blocker, which is more than enough for me.

149Dragonite.png

Dragonite @ Leftovers
Careful Nature (+SpD, -SpA)
Trait: Multiscale
EV's: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
- Substitute
- Roost
- Dragon Tail
- Thunder Wave / Fire Blast (Used with a Calm Nature)

The star of the team. Dragonite has been slowly but surely gaining popularity since B/W was released, and now, it's one of the most used and successful Pokemon in the OU tier. This is due to many factors; it's versatility, it's amazing ability, great typing, among others. No matter why Dragonite became so popular, it makes a great final position on the team. Each one of Dragonite's many sets pose a huge threat to the the metagame, and this one is no different. Nite makes a good addition to the team because of the surprise factor it brings, and the many threats to the team it takes care of.
So, on to the moveset and EV's. This is a pretty close approximation to the ParaShuffler set, with Dnite setting up Subs, roosting, and spreading status, all while shuffling the opponent's team through waves of hazards. Since I have Jirachi to help with Paralysis, I sometimes use Fire Blast over Thunder Wave to send threats like Forretress, Skarmory, and Ferrothorn for a loop. I've been told that Dragonite is one of the most annoying Pokemon on the team, so obviously, I don't have any plans on getting rid of him. :p The EV's are also pretty standard; walling special threats erryday (Nite can roost off Latios Dragon Pulses with ease). To do that effectively, I give him max HP and Max SpD, nothing special. For the set using Fire Blast, I run 252 HP / 68 SAtk / 184 SDef / 4 Spd for that extra oomph, while still maintaining survivability. Like I've said before, Dragonite is on the team because he does his job well, even with the many jobs he preforms. ^_^

THREAT LIST

JirachiSmallSprite.gif
- SubCM Jirachi is a huge threat to the team, among many others in the meta. It can hammer down my team, and although it might not pull off a sweep, it leaves a lot of my members extremely crippled. As a counter, I've had Celebi suggested, since it can abuse Recover and Perish Song to ruin Jirachi's day.

SoCuteGliscor.gif
- Gliscor is only annoying if it runs Taunt and Swords dance, something I'm seeing less of. Skarm can handle any other version, but with taunt and a SD up, he becomes problematic.

121.png
- Still annoying. The speed, coverage, and ability to remove all of my hazards makes for one huge threat of a Pokemon.

639.png
- As pointed out by some recent posts, Terrakion can be a handful. Choiced versions are predictable, but set-up versions that use SD and Rock Polish can really be a thorn in my side. Getting a burn or Paralyze on him as quickly as possible seems to be my only option most of the time.

PREVIOUS MEMBERS

jirachi03.gif

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Careful Nature (+SpD, -SpA)
Trait: Serene Grace
EV's: 252 HP / 216 SpD / 40 Spe
- Wish
- Fire Punch
- Iron Head
- Body Slam

Here we are, standard Jirachi. This is one of the oldest and most tried-and-true sets I've even seen in competitive battling, and it has a good reason to be. Jirachi adds a lot to my team not through quantity, but by quality and he's really earned his spot on the team by successfully doing his job in every battle I've used him in, bar none. Wish support is one of his most important roles, especially after the removal of Stealth Rock to be used on Hippowdon. He's able to sponge almost any neutral special hit in the game, and able to outspeed (hopefully through a paralyze) and hax out some bigger threats, when I'm feeling lucky. I've found Jirachi to be an excellent "mind games" Pokemon, that keeps your opponent guessing throughout the entire battle on whether or not I'll send him out, call him back, or set up wish. It's crazy to see such an old set be used so effectively, even today.
One of the considerations I'm making for this spot is Heatran over Jirachi. Heatran would remove the sore fire weakness I have in the team (Jirachi, Roserade, Skarmory). But with the dominance of Rain, and the fact that I have sand to cover Sun weakness, it's still a tough decision. Although Heatran would make a great addition to the team (he can spread status and shuffle), it's ironic that Heatran is a problem to the team. Offensive versions with Air Ballon can be annoying, since it has super-effective moves against every one of my team members. Non-Earth Power users would be completely walled by my own Heatran. Here's the set I had in mind as a replacement:

485.gif

Heatran @ Leftovers
Calm Nature (+SpD, -Atk)
Trait: Flash Fire
EV's: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
- Lava Plume
- Roar
- Protect
- Toxic

He functions as a Special wall as Jirachi does, but that's pretty much where the similarities end. Heatran has the added benefit of instant Toxic stalling and being able to phaze out opponents, but it leaves me without a Wish abuser, and adds a Rain-weak Pokemon to my team. I really have to consider the trade-offs here, so any advice/comments about this possible change would be extremely helpful.

CLOSING

I really think this is a successful team, especially since it uses stall. I've only got a few considerations to make for this team, those being a Rapid Spinner and a counter to CM Jirachi, most likely being Celebi. Claydol made a decent Spinner, but I need something a bit more synergetic. Although Hippowdon is preforming excellently, the weather can be to my disadvantage in some situations, and not having a spinner makes me vulnerable to the same Hazard strategy this team uses. I've also even considered replacing Hippo with defensive Politoed, as this removes the fire weakness in my team and remedies SS's residual damage. So if I could get some feedback or suggestions on these ideas, I'd greatly appreciate it. So, that's the team. I'm glad you've taken the time to read this; I know that it was quite long, and my grammar is far from perfect. Thanks again to the PB competitive community and my friends at Smogon, a lot of effort was put into this. So without further ado, check out the team, rate it, praise it, point out problems, whatever! This is Daft Punk, signing off.

This team looks great. I particularly like the Roserade set.
The only suggestion that I can think of right now would be to give Jirachi Fire or Ice Punch over Protect. This would let you have a move to hit SubDisable Gengar after it Disables your Iron Head. Ice Punch would be good for Gliscor, while Fire Punch would be good for getting rid of annoying Magnezones or Ferrothorn with their annoying abilities.

I'll definitely note using Fire Punch over Protect on Rachi. That gives me a partial answer to other Jirachis and hurts Mangezone, like you said, and it would make the need for Heatran on the team a little less pronounced. Thanks for the rate!

One slight solution is to run Surf over Scald as you have WoW on the set already. Starmie can be dealt with by using Rest on Roserade to keep it alive a little bit longer. I don't see why you couldn't handle SubCM Jirachi very well. Heatran can handle it rather well. If you mean the version in the rain version, and you really have that much trouble with it, you COULD try Quagsire over Jellicent. I don't completly advise it, but it would counter Gliscor better, along with the Jirachi you mentioned.

Solid team.

I'll take note of Surf as well. Rest would be excellent on Roserade, but I'm afraid it has the dreaded 4-moveslot syndrome; all the other moves are needed to preform it's function on the team. I might try it over HP Fire or Toxic Spikes to see how it does, so I have a bit of testing to do. As for CM Jirachi, here's the set I'm talking about:

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)
Trait: Serene Grace
EV's: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Thunder
- Water Pulse

I hate this thing in the rain. Although it doesn't do much to Rade, Rade can't do much to it either, especially if it's behind a Sub. I've actually considered HP Ground on Roserade for this, to be able to to actually hit Jirachi effectively in rain. Like I said before, Perish Song Celebi would be a good counter to it. And finally, having Quagsire over Jellicent. I don't really know if this would work, because that gets rid of my only Spinblocker. Again, I'll test him a bit, to see if I can work around spinners well enough with Quag while still keeping synergy. But thanks for the rate man, I really appreciate it.

Wow, the team looks amazing. I personally, although not exactly being a master at Pokemon, can't find any flaws. Although Hippowdon looks really good, I'll throw out another option for a sandstorm lead that I found worked well for me.

Tyranitar @ Leftovers
Careful Nature (+ Sp Def - Sp At)
EV's: 252 hp, 252 Sp def, 4 Attack or 4 Speed
Ability: Sand Stream
- Stealth Rock
- Dragon Tail
- Substitute
- Focus Punch

After you set up stealth rock, you can sub and then begin your phazing/focus punching rampage. IDK if this would actually be helpful, but I'm just throwing it out there.

Thanks for the suggestions, but there are a couple of problems in using Ttar over Hippowdon. Firstly, Hippowdon has a bit better typing, and I lose a prominent physical wall in switching him with Ttar. Plus, Ttar pretty much does the exact same thing as Dragonite does, but without the benefit of instant recovery and better typing. TyraniBoah really doesn't fit on a stall team anyways. But again, thank you for the suggestions, they're always appreciated.

Great team, SL... nope DP now...

One thing I would consider is running Forretress over Skarmory as Dragonite would really appreciate the Rapid Spin support. Stealth Rock has been ever so common, and Multi Scale really needs Stealth Rock gone. Other than that, great team ^_^ I know Skarmory is very valuable against Breloom and Virizion, but Forretress is an interesting solution. Good luck!

I have a lot of problems with this team, so I'll start with the smaller stuff, and get to the bigger picture; although people typically tend to avoid the posts that actually point out severe flaws.

First off, triple fire weakness, even with 3 other pokemon to cover it, will allow you to be broken down by even the simplest of RBG Fire/Water/Grass cores. Solution? Run your own RBG core. You have 2 of the three. Drop Jirachi for a more offensive Heatran. Lava Plume Tran is sort of just going to sit there, expecially if you don't get spikes up. Sure he can roar and whatnot, but this metagame is way too fast paced to sit around like that.

Second, The team is way too slow. Maybe it's just me but you're a few one-sided walls who make it so this team can't be the type of stall you want. I'm talking about Roserade mostly. Yeah she can work well with Skarmory and Jellicent but really, all it takes is a CB Haxorus and you can lose any of the three (trust me, Skarmory won't survive 2 of those). Starmie as far as I can tell is also a bit of a problem no matter what you do to the team. If the opponent gets SR up and has LO modest starmie and they take out your jellicent (pretty sure out of the 5 other pokemon they can do that), you've lost. So not only is the team as a whole too limited by it's lack of pace, but there's a gaping hole left open for your typical wall breaker.

Now here's the biggest of the problems. This team suffers from The Standard Syndrome, coined by yours truly. Here's what I'm talking about. Try and name a single major pokemon that makes this team any different from any other typical stall team. As a whole, other than specific move changes, none of which are major might I add, this team is your standard Stall team. Other people are ready for this kind of team, if they're any good that is. Personally, the first team i focus on blocking out IS Stall, which is always the hardest to take out. The reason why this team did so good on smogon is because the metagames lack of try. Nobody is really trying too hard on their team. It's full of kids without an understanding of any portion of the metagame. They all, for the mostpart, throw together teams and see how it works. Lots of trial and error, and it turns out mostly error.

To sum it up, the teams too typical to make it any higher than where you have ranked. It's by no means a bad team, but you're not going to be winning any sort of Smogon Cup with this. I know I sound a bit harsh with all this, but I think you'll appreciate the truth a lot more than the sugar-coated goodies everyone hands out in these RMT's...

What you need to do is take a step back from the playing field, and really look at the team. Look at the structure, the goal of the team, the playstyle. Does it really meet everything, really? Don't let laziness or your ego get in the way of the real traits of the team. We all know I'm the king of non-standard in standard, post SvN of course, but that doesn't mean I'm biased towards non standard. You have some key standards in there that I do applaud for. Great use of Jellinite, a revamp of SazaJelly. Very stall oriented, and is very menacing. But really it seems like that should be your basis. You don't necessarily need the sand. In fact, most your team is actually hampered by the sand. You may be better off running Rain or even Hail (although that sort of contradicts my last statement about hurting yourself). You've got a lot better options out there, don't be afraid to step into a different tier to use what could actually help your team out a lot. cough CBlax cough :)

7/10 *******

First off, I'd like to thank you for giving me your honest opinion on this team, it really means a lot man.
Yeah, I'm not going to lie, this team is pretty much the definition of your standard stall team. Even though this is my first stall team, it really shouldn't be an excuse for cookie-cutting team members and throwing them on the team. But I've always found stall teams to be pretty standard, and even though I consider myself a good player; I'm nowhere near good enough to revolutionize the metagame by creating a new goal of stall teams, or utilizing a Pokemon that has never been considered by stall teams before. But that doesn't mean I can't try, and by doing so, it makes me a more experienced player and allows me to deviate further from the boring aurora that we call a metagame. I'll really take your advice to heart, and take a step back, and ask myself about the teams goals, what I want to achieve with the team, and what I want to use on the team. Only time can tell what crazy things I'll do to improve the team, but I guess that's just part of the experience. I believe I'll add Heatran to the team now, and still experiment with the lead position of the team. Rain is something I've mentioned before, but Hail seems very interesting as well, lol. So I guess it's up to me to decide where I want the team to go from here, and I have you and the other members at PB to thank for that. Again, I do appreciate you "stepping out of the shadows" to honestly give me your opinion of the team, and how you think it could be better. I ask nothing more of everyone else as well. Thank you, you've given me a lot to think about. ^_^

I'm very surprised no one has mentioned this: Why is Dragonite running Calm nature over Careful? Is this leftover from when you were running Fire Blast?

There isn't a lot for me to add. The team structure is solid (which it should be since the team build is fairly standard for a stall team) but I don't know how to improve it without a major overhaul.

pfft I totally missed the nature, thanks. I'll fix that. And don't be afraid to give me a major overhaul, I'm all for it, lol. Thanks for the edit.

Great team man. How well have you been handling Reuniclus since the switch to Heatran? It stands out to me as a problem Pokemon, but maybe you have ways of playing around it. SD Terrakion too now that I think about it.

Looking much better now. Looking at the team now, I still see one or two changes you could try out. The main one being if you really do start to struggle against reuniclus or SD terrakion, change Hippowdon to CB. You'll be able to survive your typical terrakion if you run a more defensive EV spread, and you'll be able to scare away those reuniclus. Only make that change if you start to have problems with them, otherwise you appear to be golden right now. You got weather, RBG core, and dragon/steel which seem to act as walls compaired to the rest. It's solid.

Reuniclus is a bit problematic for the team, since I usually have to wear it down with physical attacks or phaze it out if it has too many boosts up, neither or which being very successful. I don't see Reuniclus as much, but it's still a bit of a problem. CB Terrakion is fairly easy to deal with if I can just predict correctly, but nothing on the team barring Jellicent likes taking a CC to the face, even if it's resisted. SD Terrakion is a little harder to deal with, so I have to play around it very carefully. My status inducers come into play here, so if I can predict correctly, I can Paralyze or Burn it, ruining it's chances at a sweep. However, if I already had Toxic Spikes up, it turns into into a bigger problem. This is another reason I'm considering Celebi over Roserade on the team, since it helps against set-up sweepers immensely with Perish Song. Thanks for all the feedback everyone, I really appreciate the help from you guys.

I always mess up the EV's on Jellicent if I try using a different set, lol. I'll fix those right away, thanks with the clean up.

Back