Energy cards

Hexxagram

Aspiring Trainer
I have most energy cards, and duplicates of most of them as well, but when building a deck, which ones do you prefer, and in number? I always read people don't even use basic energy cards anymore unless it's Dark, Metal or DarkMetal.... Any suggestions?

m0nster1nc said:
Usually it depends on the Pokémon and we build it acccordingly, which is about 14-18 energies.  I don't get your last sentence.

the whole Rainbow energy thing instead of Basic energy. My deck is based around Dragonite (delta species) and Flygon (holon phantoms/)/Flygon ex (Dragon Frontiers)

Rainbows have relatively annoying drawbacks. Who said we don't use Basic energies anymore? And Darks and Metals aren't basic, there're special.

m0nster1nc said:
Rainbows have relatively annoying drawbacks.  Who said we don't use Basic energies anymore?  And Darks and Metals aren't basic, there're special.

ah. i see. actually, i have just been collecting the cards for almost 8 years, but i never actually started playing, until recently, but I am never sure of which cards(energy and trainers) to use. I've read all the "deck-building" tips though, and most of the topics in the forums...

I have a bout 700 energy cards but you must have some basic cards in order to play the game because when and if you do go to a tournament the officials at the gate will check your deck from what I have heard here on the forums over the past year and I have learned alot. Thanks guys.:)

The don't check for energies, they check for Basic Pokémon... You can play a Mighyena δ deck with no basic energies but that doesn't stop you...

xxashxx said:
I have a bout 700 energy cards but you must have some basic cards in order to play the game because when and if you do go to a tournament the officials at the gate will check your deck from what I have heard here on the forums over the past year and I have learned alot. Thanks guys.:)

awesome, thank you.
:)

m0nster1nc said:
The don't check for energies, they check for Basic Pokémon... You can play a Mighyena δ deck with no basic energies but that doesn't stop you...

Oh I thought they checked the number of basic energy cards you must have in a deck too and some decks have 23 24 25 or 26 energy cards to a deck and if you picke 12 energy cards of one color you must have the same amount in another colr or you can have more of one color and put less of anoter color or you can take out 2 basic cards and put in 2 dark or 2 metal. It is your deck. Choose the way you want your deck.:)

*is jumbled again* Anyway, they also check if you don't have more than 4 copies of 1 card. But nowadays they use the decklist so you have to fill it out first.

Those were the old rules back when wizards of the coast was still around. I guess they changed them. Sorry guys.:)

Sorry guys I was thinking pokemon count when I posted about the number of energy cards you must have but it should be 16,17 or 18 energy cards per deck. Sorry I got mixed up.:)

I have over 700 but you must have between 16 and 18 energy cards or your deck is not legal.:)

For a normal deck, I find between 12 and 17 energies not including Pokemon that can be energies is normally fine.

Back