• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Elemental Monkeys

Fabiofax

Aspiring Trainer
4353809-elemental+monkeys.png

First of all I have to say that this is not a my idea. I've played against this deck on PTCGO and I loved it so much!
It seems to me that there is not any thread about these "elemental monkeys" so... here it is.
Suggestions are appreciated.

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

Pokémon: 17
  • 3Kangaskhan-EX (FLF 78)
  • 2 Swirlix XY 94
  • 1 Slurpuff PFH 69
  • 2 Eevee AOR 63
  • 1 Flareon AOR 13
  • 1 Jolteon AOR 26
  • 4 Panpour BKT 41
  • 3 Simipour BKT 42
Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums: 28
  • 4 Professor's Letter
  • 2 Lysandre
  • 3 Scorched Earth
  • 1 Pokémon Fan Club
  • 2 Lucky Helmet
  • 1Brigette
  • 1 Pokémon Center Lady
  • 1 Silent Lab
  • 2 Steven
  • 2 Switch
  • 4 Tierno
  • 1 Float Stone
  • 2 Enhanced Hammer
  • 2 VS Seeker
Energy: 15
  • 4 Double Colorless Energy
  • 11 Fire Energy
Strategy:

Both Fire and Water monkeys (Stage 1) have a colorless attack (2 energy):

Hand Fling: This attack does 10 damage times the number of cards in your hand.

So the main aim of the deck is to knock out everything with this attack.

Draw, draw, draw, until you can hit with a powerful attack.

Kangaskhan-EX with a Lucky helmet is a perfect start.
Then you only need to have a monkey in the bench ready to attack when you are ready.

Judge and Ace Trainer can ruin our plans but they are not played so much (1x/2x)

Last edited:
I don't know about where you play, but Judge and Ace Trainer are played all the time. Even with just a single copy (that can be reused via VS Seeker, mind you), just one use can set you back as much as half a dozen turns. The monkeys aren't exactly that bulky either... Here's the list I'm using for a deck similar to this, that uses Gourgeist PHF instead of the monkeys:

Pokémon - 16

4 Kangaskhan-EX FLF 103
4 Deoxys ROS 33
4 Pumpkaboo XY 56
4 Gourgeist PHF 45

Trainer Cards - 32

4 VS Seeker PHF 109
4 Dimension Valley PHF 93
2 Lysandre AOR 78
3 Super Scoop Up FFI 100
4 Lucky Helmet AOR 77
3 Roller Skates PHF 103
4 Pokémon Center Lady FLF 93
2 Cassius XY 115
4 Tierno PHF 107
2 Enhanced Hammer PHF 94

Energy - 12

6 Grass Energy XY 132
6 Psychic Energy XYEnergy 8

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

I want to maximize the amount of cards I put into my hand each turn, so I run full counts of Tierno, Kangaskhan-EX, Deoxys, and Lucky Helmet. Using Gourgeist as an attacker also lets me utilize Dimension Valley; not having to attach another Energy is just 10 more damage for the attack. Deoxys can make use of it, too.

This deck obviously draws a lot of cards and so there is always the danger of decking out; I use two Cassius to help mitigate that. Cassius is also great for Prize denial since both Gourgeist and Kangaskhan-EX have huge amounts of HP. Max copies of PCL keeps your attackers nice and healthy and stops any status shenanigans your opponent might try to use to stop the horror train.

The list isn't perfect, of course--I have no Pokemon searching tools and rely on straight draw in order to find Pumpkaboo--but honestly this deck is ultra fun. I slapped a guy for 300 damage (before Weakness!). Judge (and especially Ace Trainer) are the nails in this deck's competitive viability coffin, so to speak. It's too bad. Gourgeist is one of my favorite Pokemon; I would have loved to take this to a tournament.

I don't know how much Ace Trainer is used but a lot of decks use at least 1 Judge, which is a big hurdle to overcome...

It's a neat idea and a deck that I find a lot of fun to play though. Monkeys are easy to kill but also possible to stream since they only need a 1 DCE or 1 Blacksmith to be ready to go.

I have been playing it with a Slurpuff line, which gives you a little better chance to recover from Judge (it's still a big problem, but at least if you have an active with Lucky Helmet and a benched Slurpuff or two, you can easily get back to 8-9 cards after a Judge and hopefully, if you need, something like Scorched Earth / Tierno / Roller Skates can get you back into range to 2HKO EXs and 1HKO stuff like Raichu and Vespiquen).

I have also tried a thin line of Eeveelutions, which makes your life easier against Yveltal, Entei/Charizard, etc. Being able to hit for weakness means you only need 9 cards to 1HKO an EX which means you might even be able to do it the turn after a Judge. As hard as you try it's tough to maintain an 18-card hand so the Eeveelutions give you outs against some decks. If grass weakness matters, you can use Simisage as your attacker and Flareon so that you can still use Blacksmith; if not, you can use just Simisear and save the Flareon spot for something else. Stuff like Manectric and Lucario is tough. At least you trade prizes well against EX attackers though.

I also use 4 Level Ball because every single Pokemon in my deck is Level Ball searchable (I don't use Deoxys or Kangaskhan-EX, but I might try to fit some in because Swirlix/Eevee/Pansage are all bad starters).

Good tips. I never thought to use Slurpuff as Judge insurance. That's a lot of Pokemon, though.

Ok, the Slurpuff line is great!
I've also added a small Eevee line and I've cutted the red monkey. I've also cutted the Blacksmith 'cause I've never used it. So now I've a Water/Fire/Lightning Monkey.
Added one Brigette for bench setup and a third Scorched Earth (the Silent Lab is quite useless for me)

Moreover:
+1 Kangaskhan-EX
-1 Deoxys

--------Moved to Fairy Energy because Pink is cool! :)
EDIT: nevermind... Fire Energy for Scorched Earth (Tks to @bowlerdude04)

Pokémon - 17

2 Eevee AOR 63
3 Kangaskhan-EX FLF 78
2 Swirlix XY 94
1 Slurpuff PHF 69
1 Flareon AOR 13
1 Jolteon AOR 26
4 Panpour BKT 41
3 Simipour BKT 42

Trainer Cards - 28

4 Professor's Letter XY 123
2 Lysandre FLF 90
3 Scorched Earth PRC 138
1 Pokémon Fan Club FLF 106
1 Brigette BKT 134
2 Pokémon Center Lady FLF 93
2 Lucky Helmet AOR 77
2 Steven ROS 90
2 Switch ROS 91
4 Tierno PHF 107
1 Float Stone BKT 137
2 Enhanced Hammer PHF 94
2 VS Seeker PHF 109

Energy - 15

4 Double Colorless Energy NXD 92
11 Fire Energy

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

Last edited:
I have tried a single copy of Brigette too and definitely like it. Getting that early is a huge help in setting up your bench.

You should probably stick with Fire Energy for Scorched Earth though :p

For the sake of clarity, I edited the list in the original post to reflect the changes you made to the deck.

Back