Eelzone EX Review (Issue 1)

cf11

Aspiring Trainer
Hi everyone I am new to the forums and my only real article is my city championship report. I thought I would start a series of deck reviews. Please note I am no master so if I write something you disagree with please make your comment in the form of constructive criticism. Also please note I included one tech in my list to show a different way of playing Eelzone. So to kick of issue one I will be reviewing our city champion.... Eelzone!!

The List!!

Please note this is only my version there are many other ways to play this deck.

Pokemon 19

3 Tynamo (1 39/101 NV and 2 38/101 NV)
3 Eelektrik NV
3 Magnemite TM
1 Magneton TM (If your area is trainer lock heavy add one more)
3 Magnezone TM
1 Pachirisu COL
1 Cleffa COL
1 Zekrom EX
1 Mewtwo EX
1 Thundurus EP
1 Terrakion NV (Tech)

Trainers/Supporters 27

2 PONT COL
4 Sage's Training COL
2 N NV
4 Pokemon Collector
4 Junk Arm TM
3 Rare Candy UL
4 Pokemon Communication BLW
2 Switch BLW
2 Pokemon Catcher

Energy 14

2 {F}
10 {L}
2 {C}{C}

First of lets start with the strategy. Eelzone aims on using early game attackers (thundurus and Zekrom EX) to discard energy. Then using Eelektriks ability dynamotor which lets you take an energy from your discard and attach it to a pokemon on your bench. This works great with the star of the deck Magnezone. Magnezone's attack does 50 damage times the amount of energy you send to the lost zone from your pokemon. You can take the energy from your active Magnezone or your bench so this is a perfect duo. Using cards such as junk arm and sages training is also a way of sending {L} energy to the discard.

The Pokemon

Cleffa

For when you start with a terrible hand you can get a new one, but be aware it is an easy prize for an opponent early game. Also Cleffa has free retreat which is great.

Zekrom EX

The big Electric Dragon himself can punch a major spark dealing 150 for {L}{L}{C}{C} while discarding two. This is great for getting {L} energy to the discard for dynamotor. His first attack does 50 plus a flip and if you get heads you do an additional 30 damage. This can KO any pokemon even with eviolite (excluding EXs minus Shaymin).

Thundurus

Thundurus' first attack for a colourless energy lets you search your deck for a {L} energy and attach it to thundurus. His second attack for {L}{L}{C} does 80 with a discard of one. This makes him a great early game attacker.

Which Tynamo?

The first Tynamo (38) has 40 HP and 1 retreat plus an attack for {L} does ten plus a flip for paralysis. This is out of Tyrogue, Chandelure and Kyurem range. The one retreat is alright as the energy goes to the discard. Also a chance of paralysis can stall.

The second Tynamo (39) has 30 HP (ouch!!), but has free retreat. Picture this you have two Eelektriks and a Zekrom Ex on the bench with 1 energy. Your Magnezone just got knocked out. You promote your tynamo double dynamotor onto Zekrom EX then attach, retreat and BOOM a devastating 150 blow.

I like to run 1 (39) and one (38).

Eelektrik

The Eel's ability "Dynamotor" allows you to take an energy from your discard and attach it to one of your benched pokemon. You can use Pokemon such as Thundurus + Zekrom EX and cads such as junk Arm and Sage's training to get the energy there.

{L}Magnezone{L}

Magnezone is a nice beefy Pokemon with 140 HP and a three etreat Pokemon and is also the star of this deck. His ability "Magnetic Draw" allows you to draw cards until you have six in your hand (so pretty much a Bianca). This is great, because you can use a lot of resources then just Magnetic Draw for a fresh hand. His attack "Lost Burn" for {L}{C} does 50X the number of energy you send to the Lost Zone. You can take the energy from Magnezone or a Pokemon on your bench. Be careful as Lost Burning too much will leave you with no energy.

Mewtwo EX

Yes the most hyped and expensive card yet. For {C}{C} his main attack does 20X the amount of energy attached to both Pokemon. Great to Dynamotor onto him attach DCE and just tank. BUT!!! Be super cautios about putting him down, because as soon as your opponent puts down Mewtwo say goodbye to your Mewtwo and your opponent takes two prizes!! If you play it right you'll be the one taking those prizes.

Terrakion

This guy is definitely underplayed in Eelzone decks everywhere!! What is the most popular Type? {L} and is weak to.... {F}!! His first attack revenge does 30+60 if your opponent knocked out one of your Pokemon the turn before. This one shots Magnezone, Zekrom and Zekrom EX and can change the tides of the game very quickly, but he is a terrible starter!!

The Trainers And Supporters

Pokemon Collector

A staple in every deck as it lets you get 3 basic Pokemon from your deck great for setting up and you always want this in your hand at the beginning of the game. It is dead draw after that, but makes excellent Junk Arm fodder.

N

Both players shuffle their hands into their decks and draw cards equal to the amount of prizes they have left. This is great late game for giving your opponent a puny hand and then you just Magnetic Drawing for a beautiful hand of six.

PONT

A nice way of getting 6 new cards.

Sage's Training

Look at the top 5 cards of your deck and choose two and discard the other three. Great for getting small things here and there, but AMAZING for getting {L} energy to the discard.

Junk Arm

Discard two cards in your hand and get a trainer from your discard. Great for getting rid of {L} energy and useless things and then you can Magnetic draw.

Rare Candy

You get to go to Magnezone from Magnemite without even playin Magneton enough said.

Pokemon Catcher

You get to switch their active with a Pokemon on their bench great for stalling and taking some crucial KOs.

Pokemon Communication

You can exchange a Pokemon in your hand for another one!! Great for getting Magnezone and Eelektrik.

Switch

Eelektrik has a two retreat cost and a terrible attack and Magnezone has 3 retreat!! Great for switching back into your attackers.

Energy

{F}

For Terrakion. Two is enough you don't need anymore.

{L}

10 is a perfect number.

DCE
This is here for Mewtwo EX and Zekrom EX to use their big attacks.

Techs

Dodrio

Dodrio gives all your Pokemon Low retreat and renders your opponents catchers useless.

Tornadus

You already have DCE so putting him in couldn't hurt. It can also move your energy around and has fighting resistance, but also has lightning weakness to which isn't very good.

Ground Stunfisk

Yes in testing this durp actually performs well. He runs on lightning energy and is a fighting type which lightning is weak to. His first attack you flip two coins and for each heads to 30 damage. His second attack does 50 damage with a flip for paralysis.

Well there you have it if you have any suggestions for future issues I would love to hear it. Also some feedback about my series.

Thanks for reading,

CF11

Nice article. With the terrakion, are you saying that it is used to counter other electric, or what.
And ground stunfisk, wow for thinking of that, I tossed it aside when I first saw him. Even if it won't work that well, its a cool idea.

pikhu2000 said:
Nice article. With the terrakion, are you saying that it is used to counter other electric, or what.
And ground stunfisk, wow for thinking of that, I tossed it aside when I first saw him. Even if it won't work that well, its a cool idea.

Yes it is used for countering {L} decks such as Eelzone and TZSP.

No love for Zapdos ND? It can bench snipe an Oddish early game If you attach a DCE and a {L} for Random Spark and is a solid counter against The Truth and ChandePlume. Articuno ND is a good counter to Donphan for this deck especially If you get the Paralyzation on them with Ice Beam and since it's doing 80 damage total with
x2 {W} Weakness and Exoskeleton you only need to 2HKO Donphan thus Articuno will survive by 40 HP remaining unless they Heavy Impact.

Thundurus is just in this deck for Charge, so you're giving your Opponent a prize in exchange for getting 1 or 2 {L} in your Discard Pile to Dynamotor with later on which doesn't seem worth the trade off IMO. I understand you're running Terrakion for the mirror to take advantage of weakness which isn't bad but I'd still run at least 2 Zekrom EX for your secondary attacker unless Mewtwo EX is good enough I suppose.

Card Slinger J said:
No love for Zapdos ND? It can bench snipe an Oddish early game If you attach a DCE and a {L} for Random Spark and is a solid counter against The Truth and ChandePlume.

So you are saying a flippy attack is a good Chandy counter?

Card Slinger J said:
No love for Zapdos ND? It can bench snipe an Oddish early game If you attach a DCE and a {L} for Random Spark and is a solid counter against The Truth and ChandePlume. Articuno ND is a good counter to Donphan for this deck especially If you get the Paralyzation on them with Ice Beam and since it's doing 80 damage total with
x2 {W} Weakness and Exoskeleton you only need to 2HKO Donphan thus Articuno will survive by 40 HP remaining unless they Heavy Impact.

Thundurus is just in this deck for Charge, so you're giving your Opponent a prize in exchange for getting 1 or 2 {L} in your Discard Pile to Dynamotor with later on which doesn't seem worth the trade off IMO. I understand you're running Terrakion for the mirror to take advantage of weakness which isn't bad but I'd still run at least 2 Zekrom EX for your secondary attacker unless Mewtwo EX is good enough I suppose.

I was actually thinking of Zapdos, but I just don't see it working I will definitely test it though. I just think Magnezone and Zekrom EX just outdo it too much. Also Donphan is having a major decline in play so I don't think Articuno is that great. I don't thin Thundurus is just there for charge as he does get early KOs. Regarding the extra Zekrom EX i tested it and I agree it makes a big difference.

Back