Water Pokémon Master

I like Pokemon more than you! :p
Webmaster
Elite Member
Advanced Member
eBay has announced a mandatory new authentication service for all ungraded trading cards sold on its platform. The service launches today in the United States.
When a buyer purchases a single ungraded card for over $750, the seller will be required to ship it to eBay’s authentication partners. This includes known grading companies like CGC. These third-party companies will check if the card is authentic and ensure it matches the condition in the listing. (They are not grading the card.)
Once the card is authenticated, they will put it in a special packaging along with a tamper-proof sticker and a QR code that links to its authentication history. The card will then be shipped to the buyer in discreet packaging and require a signature upon delivery. According to CGC, cards will arrive to buyers 7 to 10 days after the purchase is made...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

Bongooo

Eternatus VMAX is Mega Rayquaza's goth phase
This is cool but if this grading process costs the buyers or sellers too much money eBay just lost their entire expensive trading card market

The Binder Guy

Aspiring Trainer
Eh, as long as it doesn’t affect people buying cards for gameplay purposes then I’m fine with it. Collectors are getting more and more ravenous these days.
eBay just lost their entire expensive trading card market
To be fair you could say that for a bunch of other collectables as well, although that part is only applicable to US sellers due to a new tax law affecting money-handling businesses like PayPal, Mercari, Zelle, and Venmo.

FlameBoy4792

Aspiring Trainer
I think they should lower the cost from $750 to 100-250, because nobody would buy a card for $500 that’s ungraded.

Also it would be interesting to know if you can send in cards that are under the price limit.

SenorChinocano

Aspiring Trainer
This is absolutely the best thing to happen to TCG collecting in ages! As a eBay seller dealing with almost a hundred orders each day from our stores in CA and BC, I can tell you most every store owner I know including myself have kept a lot of cards off the market because of fear of scammers. Particularly stuff over $750, or later on $250, because of the prevalence of scammers literally millions of cards are being held off the online marketplace by not just collectors, but stores and large volume show dealers. This new rule will bring all these cards onto the market, giving buyers access to high quality cards without paying huge fees to grading companies. By creating this service it creates extra liquidity in the market to give sellers the confidence to pull out their higher priced items and put them onto the market, and gives buyers the confidence to put down big monies and get that shadowless without doubt.

shaman

Uncommon
People saying they'll lose money for this are forgetting the fact that they'll lose so much more business if buyers can't be assured that they're getting something real and sellers can't be assured that a buyer won't lie about a product they receive. No faith in TCG products on eBay = no TCG business on eBay.

PartTimeTCGCollector

Aspiring Trainer
I think ebay is doing this because they want to avoid losing money on their "money back guaranteed". Don't forget what recently happened...who got the largest amount of money back??? The guy that wants to destroy every aspect of Pokemon TCG.

Mr Lopez

Aspiring Trainer
I think this is an excellent step forward. I would like to see this pushed even further with sealed product. I think this is a big issue. How many people don't sell sealed product e.g. booster packs on eBay because of buyers claiming resealed product...

profesor_reglero

Aspiring Trainer
This could be a great system, but I would down the price to around 300USD. There are very few cards that can be sold by 750USD. And the market is slowly coming back to 2019-2020 prices, so I find this a little out of reality.

CruelBear

Aspiring Trainer
I think they should lower the cost from $750 to 100-250, because nobody would buy a card for $500 that’s ungraded.

Also it would be interesting to know if you can send in cards that are under the price limit.
Nobody would buy a card for $500 that's ungraded? Have you seen Magic cards?

PartTimeTCGCollector

Aspiring Trainer
Nobody would buy a card for $500 that's ungraded? Have you seen Magic cards?
Yeah, and that is one of the stupidest decision anyone does when purchasing TCG, even if that person is a millionaire. What can you do with that one card other than bragging about it, have it on a display or shove it up in your you know what.

MtSilverHermit

Aspiring Trainer
But what about cards purchased from Japan or other countries outside America? I'm really glad I already completed my Japanese collection, this seems like it would be such a huge headache. I have a bad feeling this might happen to comic books too :/

Adman2099

Aspiring Trainer
Are there even 10 cards that are above $750 raw?
In PTCG, sure, but across the entire Trading Card market, absolutely not the case. Bare in mind the original article details a lot around the entire Trading card market which includes sports cards, Tennis and Soccer being the highest growth markets with Pokémon a distant 3rd.

I don't know about the rest of you, I know absolutely f all about Sports cards, but a quick eBay search for ungraded sports trading cards brings up page after page of cards listed well over £550 ($750 USD).

Looking at the whole Trading Card market, this seems about right in the first instance, before coming down to $250 later in the year.

Get the process working, then expand.

shaman

Uncommon
Yeah, and that is one of the stupidest decision anyone does when purchasing TCG, even if that person is a millionaire. What can you do with that one card other than bragging about it, have it on a display or shove it up in your you know what.
You must not play Magic. People play with them competitively (e.g. dual lands like Volcanic Island, etc.). Not that that's a good thing, but that's the way it is right now. In Pokemon, look at Tropical Beach for example. Great card for competitive with no sign that it will be reprinted and now it's being used in Expanded AND GLC.