Ruling DRE on LV. X

Setosama

Mew Trainer
Can ouy use DRE with LV. X Pokemon such as Luacrio, Infernape, Electivire... and so on or would it just be discarded?

So as long as the Stage 1/2 pokemon is underneath the LV.X DRE won't be discarded and it's effect still works?

papi/manny: i was talking about if he put 2 because that was pretty much what he was asking. (i think) oh wait i figured it out, he was asking if it had the same effect of an EX. it doesnt have the discard effect that an EX does.

how about in the future. Lets say with Darkrai? Since Darkrai never evolved and just became Lv.X would you be able to use a DRE on him.

and what about de-evolution attacks like Mew Ex HP?

Deretto_Eevee said:
how about in the future. Lets say with Darkrai? Since Darkrai never evolved and just became Lv.X would you be able to use a DRE on him.

and what about de-evolution attacks like Mew Ex HP?
A leveled up Darkrai and it's Lv.X version are considered to be the ONE AND THE SAME CARD. It is leveled up, not evolved. It is still a basic pokemon. Nothing is gonna change that.

I'll keep reminding people that leveling up is NOT evolving. Rare Candy can never be played to bring a lv.X into play. Rare Candy is used to EVOLVE a pokemon, not level up.

If a pokemon that has been evolved, and then gets devolved to it's basic form, the DRE will go straight to the discardpile.

I thought it might be helpful to correlate and summarise the suggestions from the users who posted here along with my own answers.

Something is evolved if an evolution card has been played on top of a basic (or a card that is being treated as a basic) or if a card is played on top of a basic that is treated as evolving that pokémon.

Level X cards are not evolution cards, therefore do not count as evolving a card when played on top (even though they share a few traits of evolution). They therefore also do not change a pokémon's evolutionary state. A basic "levelled up" has not evolved because a Level X is not an evolution card.

Double rainbow energy can only be attached to evolutions and non-exs and is immediately discarded if either or both of those criteria are not true. This may occur when a pokémon evolves into an ex (such as Shelgon into Salamence ex) or a pokémon's evolutionary stage is removed.

Look at whether your pokémon is "evolved" or not and whether that satisfies the double rainbow criteria. If so, then work it out accordingly.

bonsly1994 said:
yes... the card states it can't be attached to basic and EX's:p

Just to add, if in any situation, that you evolve to an ex Pokemon or your Pokemon gets devolved into a basic, as it clearly states there on the card that you would have to discard Double Rainbow Energy.

Also to add more to what Magic Umbreon said,

For example, you can't attach a Double Rainbow Energy to a Cresselia LV.X because it is still counted as basic.

Magic Umbreon said:
I thought it might be helpful to correlate and summarise the suggestions from the users who posted here along with my own answers.

Something is evolved if an evolution card has been played on top of a basic (or a card that is being treated as a basic) or if a card is played on top of a basic that is treated as evolving that pokémon.

Level X cards are not evolution cards, therefore do not count as evolving a card when played on top (even though they share a few traits of evolution). They therefore also do not change a pokémon's evolutionary state. A basic "levelled up" has not evolved because a Level X is not an evolution card.

Double rainbow energy can only be attached to evolutions and non-exs and is immediately discarded if either or both of those criteria are not true. This may occur when a pokémon evolves into an ex (such as Shelgon into Salamence ex) or a pokémon's evolutionary stage is removed.

Look at whether your pokémon is "evolved" or not and whether that satisfies the double rainbow criteria. If so, then work it out accordingly.

Mewstor said:
A leveled up Darkrai and it's Lv.X version are considered to be the ONE AND THE SAME CARD. It is leveled up, not evolved. It is still a basic pokemon. Nothing is gonna change that.

What if, in theory, there was a basic Charizard? Not Charizard*, not Shining Charizard, it's name was simply Charizard. In a deck, you would still only be able to have 4 in any combination of a basic Charizard and an evolved one.

The basic, regardless of its name, is still basic. That's what confuses me about that statement, a name doesn't define if a Pokemon is basic, an evolution, or what... regardless if it were to be shared by an evolution and a basic.

Mewstor said:
I'll keep reminding people that leveling up is NOT evolving. Rare Candy can never be played to bring a lv.X into play. Rare Candy is used to EVOLVE a pokemon, not level up.

A Lv. X is neither an evolved Pokemon or a basic. Dual Ball can't grab one, thus it isn't a basic. In game terms, a Pokemon grabbed with Dual Ball can't have a DRE attached to it. A Lv. X is a "Level Up" card though. It's not a basic, it's not an evolution, it's not an EX. DRE doesn't spefically single out a "Level Up." Level Ups don't say "Basic" or "Evolution" anywhere on the card.

All of this said, not being able to attach a DRE to Darkrai Lv. X confuses me. I came to the TCG Questions wondering this specific answer. It seems to me we won't have an official answer until it comes out...

Now I realise there's an argument in the scenerio of a Mew EX using Devo Crush on an Infernape Lv. X... it just confuses me even more >_< What I'm thinking to myself is, Mew EX is devolving the Infernape, but the Lv. X is attached to it. It's different than any other attachment since it gets shuffled away as well. The thing here is that the defending Pokemon is still considered a "Level Up" to receive a specific ruling like that, not other attachment ends up like this. You could see this as being a result for only this specific situation, to deal with the mixture of these pre-existing moves when introducing Level Ups.

I hope everything I said just made sense...

._.'

Let me try and sum it up in one question: After you play down, say an Empoleon Lv. X, is it considered a Stage 2 or a Level Up at this point?

You can use DRE on a lv.x, but it still gets -10 damage, and you can't attach it to a lv.x on a basic (cresselia lv.x, palkia lv.x, ect) You can attach it to all the lv. x that you mentioned. As long as the DRE is attached to a lv.x that did NOT levle up from a basic, it's okay.

Black Winged Gengar said:
Mewstor said:

What if, in theory, there was a basic Charizard? Not Charizard*, not Shining Charizard, it's name was simply Charizard. In a deck, you would still only be able to have 4 in any combination of a basic Charizard and an evolved one.

The basic, regardless of its name, is still basic. That's what confuses me about that statement, a name doesn't define if a Pokemon is basic, an evolution, or what... regardless if it were to be shared by an evolution and a basic.

That is correct. What ever name the card has, it is considered to be basic if the card says it's a basic pokemon. Weird, but true. And there is a rule that only 4 pokemon of the same name can be put in a single deck. That rule applies as long as the pokemon have the same name. So far there haven't been a pokemon card that would normally be an avolved pokemon, but was made a basic and share the same name as it's evolution card version. I doubt there ever will be one.

Mewstor said:

A Lv. X is neither an evolved Pokemon or a basic. Dual Ball can't grab one, thus it isn't a basic. In game terms, a Pokemon grabbed with Dual Ball can't have a DRE attached to it. A Lv. X is a "Level Up" card though. It's not a basic, it's not an evolution, it's not an EX. DRE doesn't spefically single out a "Level Up." Level Ups don't say "Basic" or "Evolution" anywhere on the card.

Lv.X cards are a completely new category when it comes to Pokemon cards. It is not a basic or an evolution card. It is just a Pokemon card. It is not to be confused with any other pokemon card category's.

All of this said, not being able to attach a DRE to Darkrai Lv. X confuses me. I came to the TCG Questions wondering this specific answer. It seems to me we won't have an official answer until it comes out...

There is no official ruling yet, but since there is a ruling involving how to treat a leveled up pokemon, I doubt this will not differ from what I've said already. If a basic pokemon leveles up, the leveled up basic is still a basic. Why? Because of the ruling "A leveled up pokemon is considered to be the same card as the pokemon it leveled up from". The lv.X is like a pokemon tool attached to the leveled up pokemon. Just that the tool is a pokemon card. It is just an upgrade to an already existing pokemon. Imagine the lv.X and the card it leveled up from, to be taped/glued together to form a single card. They are one and the same.

Now I realise there's an argument in the scenerio of a Mew EX using Devo Crush on an Infernape Lv. X... it just confuses me even more >_< What I'm thinking to myself is, Mew EX is devolving the Infernape, but the Lv. X is attached to it. It's different than any other attachment since it gets shuffled away as well. The thing here is that the defending Pokemon is still considered a "Level Up" to receive a specific ruling like that, not other attachment ends up like this. You could see this as being a result for only this specific situation, to deal with the mixture of these pre-existing moves when introducing Level Ups.

The level up card is tied to the card it leveled up from. There is an official ruling to this. That being "Where ever the lv.X goes, the card it leveled up from follows. And the other way around." + ""What ever happens to the lv.X, happens to the card it leveled up from. And the other way around". That should be fairly easy to understand and remember.

Let me try and sum it up in one question: After you play down, say an Empoleon Lv. X, is it considered a Stage 2 or a Level Up at this point?

Both. It is a leveled up stage2 Empoleon and both of the cards are considered to be one and the same card.

Ask if you didn't understand all of this. I'll be happy to answer :)

Back