• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Dragonite EX / Virizion EX / Mewtwo EX

SynxS1N

Follow your heart...
UPDATE: Got 3rd place at an lc in NY with this list, 5-1 rec.

Pokemon: 11

• 3 Virizion EX
    3 Dragonite EX
    2 Mewtwo EX
    2 Tropius
    1 Spiritomb
Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums: 37

• 4 Professor Juniper
    4 N
    3 Skyla
    3 Lysandre
    2 Colress
    1 Cassius
    4 Hypnotoxic Laser
    3 Ultra Ball
    3 Muscle Band
    2 Max Potion
    2 Startling Megaphone
    2 Switch
    1 Professor's Letter
    1 Scramble Switch
    2 Virbank City Gym
Energy:12

• 2 Double Colorless
    3 Lightning
    7 Grass

Strategy:

The strategy behind this deck is to take advantage of Dragonite's Bust In ability using Max Potion and Cassius to remove damage and Muscle Band/LaserBank to hit the perfect 170 dmg with Jet Sonic while still giving the deck enough versatility to deal with different threats. I've done a lot of testing and this most likely wont be the final list but I think I'm very close to a competitively viable list. I'll try to explain some of my choices before I get some obvious comments.

Pokemon:

No Genesect: I feel like you have to choose either Dragonite or Genesect to make the deck as consistent as possible and Virizion does well enough against grass weak opponents.

3 Dragonite EX: The deck is really hurt if you only run 2 and 1 is prized because it reduces your ability to chain bust ins and heal.

2 Mewtwo: Mewtwo is a beautiful secondary attacker in this deck, being able to counter Lucario and other Mewtwo while also swinging for strong numbers on any other pokemon.

2 Tropius: I've got two words for you, Safeguard Counter. Safeguard will be a thing, a good thing at that, and it would serve you well to be prepared for it in whatever deck you're building. Tropius is a perfect SG counter, Suicune is weak to it and its Return attack can make for a game saving move late game.

1 Spiritomb: The only issue this deck has, if you haven't noticed it already, is OHKO decks. Namely Virizion/Genesect as it would be the only viable OHKO deck going forward with Seismitoad EX running amok. The deck has a pretty horrible match up with VirGen once you factor in G Booster so Spiritomb is here to make it more manageable.

Trainers:

No Super Scoop Up: I have tested this card until my fingers bled and its exclusion boils down to one thing, it's a flip. Even when running 4 most of the time you will be counting on this flip to do something crucial and a tails could easily mean a lost game. This happened enough to me that I had to remove it all together.

3 Lysandre: The deck is math heavy and Lysandre is the perfect card to take advantage of that. A clean 170 hp attacker being set up on the bench? That EX you hit for 50 with Virizion turn 2? A Garbodor/Trubish that might stifle your plays? That sixth prize just waiting to get Jet Sonic'd for the win? Lysandre takes care of it all.

Scramble Switch over Scoop Up Cyclone: Some people might say that Cyclone is the better choice and they would be right if the deck was 4 Virizion and 4 Dragonite but my deck has a bit more going on than that. I choose to run SS over Cyclone because SS opens up more plays and options. I can get the energy to a Mewtwo for a big ko or set something up to be max potioned while keeping all the energy in play. There are a number of things SS does that Cyclone doesn’t or can’t because my deck is less about Busting In and more about keeping my options open and readily available.

Energy:

7 Grass: At first glance 7 Grass can seem to be too little but in testing it has proved to be just enough. You only need to Emerald Slash once to get the deck running and because your energy is recycled most of the time having many grass isn’t as important. With 3 Skyla and Professor’s Letter you’d be hard pressed to find an issue setting up a turn 2 Emerald Slash.

3 Lightning and 2 DCE: One lightning for each Dragonite proves to pop up often enough although sometimes it can be an issue when Professor’s Letter is prized. The DCE’s are very helpful in that they allow Mewtwo to swing for 1 attachment and can also help it hit higher numbers for potential OHKOs.

If you actually got through the whole article I appreciate you taking your time to read it and if you have any of your own experiences or opinions feel free to comment.

RE: Virizion EX / Dragonite EX / Mewtwo EX

I liked your reasoning to it, seems like you really put yourself into this deck.

I have no actual suggestions, I just wanted to tell you you did a great job, I might test it to check it out.

One question: Have you tested it against another OHKO decks? Something like Ballistoise (Blastoise / Black Ballista) or maybe AromaKhan (Aromatisse / MKangaskhan) and others?

I really appreciate your comment Luxiel, thank you. I have not tested it against the other OHKO decks, only because they are much les viable without tropical beach and with Seismitoad locking items. I assume the match up would be really tough but not impossible since Dragonite is a Dragon.

Interestingly enough, decks like this are not on most players "radar," but this deck will, IMO, get noticed at upcoming tournaments. Nice list too and I too appreciate you sharing comments about the choices you made.

Depending upon the meta game in your area, you could possibly encounter some issues with:

• FairyBox - will just "present" the appropriate Poke to 1HKO your Poke. But it's good that you also run 3 Lysandre. Have you play-tested running Bicycle too? i find that when my decks tend to be Supporter "heavy," Bicycle help with card drawing.
  • Pyroar - completely "shuts down" your deck if your opponent only presents these Poke to you. Maybe a thin Beartic line as a counter perhaps.
  • Seismitoad - once the Item lock is put into place, these players (myself being one) will target your vulnerable EXs other than Dragonite EX. (personal note: G decks are not a concern at all since my Toad runs with R Poke)
My only other comment would be to consider incorporating a Pal Pad (replace a Max Potion perhaps) in order to recover and recycle discarded Supporters.

You'll need something to deal with Pyroar, otherwise, this deck looks really good. Beartic it's a bad idea, just because of Dragonite's ability. It also can OHKO Landorus EX (something Dragonite can't do). My biggest question is this: how do you deal with the 180 hp EX pokemon? Other than that, this looks pretty solid.

@tuxedoblack thanks for the comment. I'm not too sure Fairies and Pyroar will be played. Both being very bad plays with Fighting and Seismitoad being popular. Also the Seismitoad match up is very easy no matter what techs it may run, aside from a turn 1 Victini V piece and I have Startling/Spiritomb to prevent that.

@oblivion thanks for your input as well. Once again I don't see Pyroar being a smart play unless you know your areas meta game and it contains a lack of Toad/Garb decks. Also I don't like Beartic in this deck too much. Setting up a stage 1 really reduces consistency and I don't think the trade off is worth it. As far as the 180hp EXs I attack them with Virizion believe it or not. Virizion + LaserBank deals enough damage to 2HKO a 180hp EX without Muscle Band. I can also clean up an EX with Dragonite after Virizion has hit it.

It would still almost be an auto loss for you if you run into a good pyroar deck. If i see that you arnt trying to set up something to help against pyroar then i am not going to put down my Charizard EX or Mewtwo EX and i just let pyroar do the work for me. Even Lysandre wouldnt help you get out of that problem because you can only play 1 per turn, i would just set up as many pyroar as i can, I also run 4 switch in the deck so your laser/virbank strategy really wouldnt work very well.

I would say drop the tropius and spirtomb as well as a lysandre and put a 2-2 line of raichu or Abomasnow or something else that could be used as both your pyroar defense as well as your safeguard defense.

SynxS1N said:
@tuxedoblack thanks for the comment. I'm not too sure Fairies and Pyroar will be played. Both being very bad plays with Fighting and Seismitoad being popular. Also the Seismitoad match up is very easy no matter what techs it may run, aside from a turn 1 Victini V piece and I have Startling/Spiritomb to prevent that.

@oblivion thanks for your input as well. Once again I don't see Pyroar being a smart play unless you know your areas meta game and it contains a lack of Toad/Garb decks. Also I don't like Beartic in this deck too much. Setting up a stage 2 really reduces consistency and I don't think the trade off is worth it. As far as the 180hp EXs I attack them with Virizion believe it or not. Virizion + LaserBank deals enough damage to 2HKO a 180hp EX without Muscle Band. I can also clean up an EX with Dragonite after Virizion has hit it.

Beartic is a stage 1, also fairibox does preety well outside of the megakang variant against landorus-ex/fighting decks. I run some different versions on ptcgo and i dont have so much troubles with Beartic for Landorus OHKO and mewtwo ex for lucario OHKO

@ironman I respect your opinion but I disagree with your logic. I won't sacrifice consistency to deal with a match up I won't be seeing, Pyroar isn't good moving forward and it won't be played much. Safeguard is good moving forward and it will be played, so I'd rather have Tropius to help me deal with that.

@storm the "Stage 2" in my comment was a typo. Fairies wthout Kanga is pretty good, especially if you're going Mewtwo/Safeguard/stuff, which is what I've seen in my area. But this match up doesn't prove to be too difficult especially because of my 3 Lysandre.

Sigilyph will be played over suicune for two main reasons: sigi ohkos mewtwo and its not weak to tropius which everyone knows is a good counter to suicune

They will both be played, not one over the other, because Suicune hit Landorus. I also still with the exchange against Sigilyth with Tropius using a muscle band.

It's not the straight Pyroar you're worried about; it's when people just throw it in. You could put it in fairies, or the big one I'm seeing: Seismitoad/Pyroar. I feel there's going to be enough of that to cause some concern. You're fine for the safeguard pokemon, but I feel it's too early to just take the auto-loss.

@oblivion I see your reasoning and it makes more sense now but even if Pyroar is splashed my deck can use Lysandre to pick off Litleo or bring up something I can KO with Dragonite. Also if they try to wall me with Pyroar I can use laser to apply pressure. So it's in no way an auto loss and if I feel Pyroar is played a lot I will probably be changing my deck choice entirely rather than trying to make this deck win easier against it by sacrificing consistency. Thanks for your input, Pyroar splash is not something I had thought of yet and I appreciate you bringing it up.

Pyroar generally play 4 or switch meaning laser does nothing. Also it'll probably play the stadium to give stage 1/2s more hp.

And actually most proper safeguard lists will run like a trch 1 or maybe 2 of suicune. Because as stated sigilyph is just better.

The idea of splashing pyroar to me is silly. All the decks have one big loss, I think you're judt better to get consistency then to run pyroar who has no inherit synergy with the deck at all.

Pure Pyroar is not a good play with toad/garb/stuff being popular. It is also easily tech'd for in many decks and other decks, such as Eevee, won't have an issue with it at all. Pyroar only did well at nationals because no one prepared for it and that is the only kind of win you can hope to get with such a deck. Even more luck is needed now with half the people at tournaments showing up with a deck that completely shuts it down. Teching it is the only thing that sends viable to me, bringing it out only in matchups/scenarios where it can lock out the game.

Also my Tropius will get two safeguard kos before it goes down most of the time, not to mention I usually will only need 2-3kos on safeguarders which is not hard using band/laser for Sigilyth and just a simple attack on Suicune. Also pure safeguard is a bad play so I don't expect to see that, most likely safeguard will come with fairies or a tech in some other deck meaning I won't have to deal with many. I can also Lysandre other things on the bench provided they are there.

Back