Dragon M Rayquaza vs Colorless M Rayquaza

Rafelker

Aspiring Trainer
Just curious who people think is better. From what I know of the new set, I think the Dragon one is a lot better. The new double dragon energy will make him playable, even with the many energy he needs. Even though the dragon has more set up energy wise, the colorless one will need even more set up with benching pokemon and Skyfield.

Bananasuit

Aspiring Trainer
RE: Dragon M Rayquaza vs. Colorless M Rayquaza

I think the colorless one is going to end up being the better of the two. Yes it requires bench set up, but the set up is very possible with an exeggcute, battle compressor combo+ 1 ultra ball or drawing into any pokemon. Ideally you could do that all in one turn but even two turns is pretty good compared to setting up 5 energy (4 energy specific) for the other M Ray.

RideLith

All theory. No action.

If we consider just Skyfield and the M Ray, then the dragon M Ray may seem better.

But the colorless got a lot of support from this set. With Altaria, Megaman decks aren't as much of a threat. With Shaymin EX, it has amazing draw power. With Exeggcutes+Ultra Ball support and the already mentioned shaymin, it can get 6 Pokémons in the bench in one turn (playtest with it - you'll see that getting a DCE and a basic energy is much more of a concern than filling the bench) (also remember you can bench the Exeggcutes).

The dragon one has it's advantages though. It has higher HP, and has a built-in resistance to common threats with his deltra trait. It gets OHKOs without other kind of setup, just with energy. Dragon M Ray decks will be clunkier because of the extensive setup needed to achieve 5 energies - you need to start with a Reshiram, attach Double Dragon Energies, abuse Mega Turbo. You can't just start off with a Rayquaza EX and expect to pull off a Dragon Ascent turn 2 or even 3, while this is very feasible with the colorless M Ray.

I expect the dragon M Ray seeing more play with the XY-on rotation. Megas will be more popular with this rotation, and with energy disruption cards rotating out the 5 energy setup will be much smoother. Also, colorless M Ray will lose a lot of support when BW sets rotate out, so both archetypes might be placed under the same tier or the dragon one could even surpass the colorless. As it stands right now, the colorless M Ray is much faster to setup and strikes for OHKOs as well, making it the superior choice.

pokedan24

Aspiring Trainer

The colorless one. Can come out of nowhere with the ancient trait and increase it's damage output to 240 with Skyfield. Just being colorless gives it something too. To put it in perspective, Mega Kangaskhan EX has no spirit link and still played a key role in a top tier deck just because it's colorless.

The dragon one is nothing to scoff at, but the colorless one could end up being broken.

asdjklghty

-------------

Colorless. I already can imagine combos like Aromatisse + Max Potion. The Colorless one is more versatile and can fit in all kinds of decks.

cardgjammer

Aspiring Trainer

cardgjammer said:
Colorless. Not only can it evolve turn 1, but it is also searchable by Winona, and due to the fact that Wally doesn't work on EXes, not to mention that so far, there's no card, whether in presently-legal expansions or known to be in any future expansion, that allows you to Mega Evolve any non-Colorless EX by any means, the dragon one is outclassed by the colorless version of M-Ray assuming the player goes second on turn 1 and attaches a Spirit Link to Ray-EX so that he can attack turn 1, due to the rule that states "the player that goes first on turn 1 cannot attack unless the description of the attack being used says otherwise"...

^ NOTE: Speaking of Winona, since she is a supporter card, if you want to make the first attack with M-Ray, an Ultra Ball would be a better choice for purposes of searching for M-Ray Colorless to achieve Turn 1 evolution, then, it's a matter of getting either one battle compressor + mega turbo + DCE, or two Mega Turbos + manual Energy attachment for turn, even if it requires a Sycamore to make it more likely to get the above, in order to meet that 3 CE requirement to use Colorless M-Ray's attack...

NOTE #2: Don't overlook the dragon version when trying to use emerald break: Assuming you don't draw Colorless M-Ray and a Sycamore and you go second, if you do not get a opponent mulligan boost to your hand, then unless your initial seven-card, minus Rayquaza-EX, hand consists of a battle compressor + vs seeker, then it's possible that either the emerald break will result in 0 damage due to no pokemon on bench, or if you have at least one pokemon on the bench, the Emerald Break could fall short of the magic 180 required to KO the Dragon Ray-EX on turn 1, both possibilities which also leave you vulnerable to a more likely, but still less probable, dragon Mega Ray-EX KO on turn 2 after Spirit link + 2 DDE + battle compressor + Mega Turbo, with 1-5+ less cards needed, to power up dragon M-Ray so it could meet the 5 energy req to use its 300 damage attack so that two prize cards against you will be drawn as a result of the colorless M-Ray getting KO'd... And if you have no pokemon on bench after that, that would mean game...

^ In case you saw my previous copy, after thinking it through, I can tell you my true final answer to the question: Who's the better of Dragon M Rayquaza and Colorless M Rayquaza?:

Dragon M Rayquaza = Colorless M Rayquaza

^ Why are they equal in terms of strength?

^ Assuming XY-On, with no Lasers, it becomes a matter of who gets setup first, as well as how many turns passed since the start of game, and the consideration of probabilities of one side drawing enough critical cards to gain dominance over the other in that matchup: if the Dragon M Rayquaza user cannot draw DDE and/or enough Energy from discard via Mega Turbo until at least TC:5, or game turn 3, there is a chance that the Colorless M Rayquaza user can evolve some of his/her Zubats and/or place at least 5 Bench pokemon, with or without skyfield, to do enough damage to KO Dragon M Rayquaza, post-Emerald Break use, after a Xerosic/Tool Retrieval Spirit Link detachment and subsequent Muscle Band attachment. That chance will increase as the TC increases beyond that, making the winner decided by a matter of luck and resulting setup speed, meaning no clear overall dominant M-Rayquaza typing in the event the two types face off against each other...

King of Dragons

I just hang around for reasons
M Rayquaza EX:
Strengths: Amazing Attack,Sets up easily,Splashable
Weakness's: Weak to Lightning, Doesn't do as much damage w/o Skyfield (but can still hold on as a great attacker), Spirt Link
M Rayquaza EX (Dragon):
Strengths: 300 DAMAGE ATTACK,Resiestant to 4 common types, can be paired with good partners (Emboar/Delphox/Reshiram), Spirt Link
Weakness's: Attack cost is high, Weak to Fairy, Could be Yveltel Bait, Emboar is getting rotated (most likely)
Overall, M Rayquaza EX will see more play with its splahability, and speediness.
M Rayquaza EX (Dragon) will probabaly hang on but not as a Teir 1 deck

JasonRox

Aspiring Trainer
Aromatisse is able to move the double dragon energy around as long as it's always on a dragon? No?

I think the dragon will be quite strong. You don't need to attack with it, just keep it as a quick OHKO. So you max potion dragons all the time since you can move the dragon energy off (as long as you have 2 dragons in play). Have the Mega on the bench doing nothing, if something big comes and threatens you, just move some dragon energy on it, rainbows and hit for 300. Done.