DP rules ?

What rules do you prefer

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

pokeblader

veteran in game
In pokemon TCG change a lot of rules like

The poision pokemon there a now physic.
The dark and metal energys are now basic.
They change ex pokemon to level X pokemons.

there are some rules but what do you prefer ruby and saphire ones or diamond and pearl ones ?

put your choice

I would have to say old rules. I like double weakness and things like that. I don't want +30, sure it will make things last longer, but still. No trainers first turn sucks too.

Some changes are good and some changes are bad.

But, I don't like the mechanic of how to bring a Lv.X in play.

Yeah, I'm not too keen on the new rules either. I mean, I understand why they are changing weakness and resistance, but the real killer is that the first player can't use any Trainers on their first turn. Most people already hate going first, but this just seals the deal. A measly 10-20 damage is not worth giving up Trainer support for a turn, especially when your opponent can use them.

The Lv. X thing is different, but I think it'll be okay. It'll take awhile to get used to the mechanic, but I'm sure a bunch of broken combos can easily get them out (for example, Celio's Network can grab it, which is amazing). I don't like how there's only 3 in each set though. I liked getting 2 or 3 in a box (when 8 were in a set) and Delta Species and Holon Phantoms suffered because of that, IMO.

I prefer the old rules. For me, not playing trainers at all isn't too bad, because other than Rare Candy, I use barely any trainers that are of any use first turn. Will hurt my Exploud deck, though...
I don't like the idea of 3 Lv. X's per set, but otherwise, I am for them.
The new weakness and resistance rules are alright, but I'll need to test all the new rules before I have a definate answer on what I prefer.

Perhaps they'll be nice and add a "mulligan hand" option for the player going first. Because the trainers I can think of right off the top of my head that are most affected are:

Rare Candy
Great Ball
Dual Ball
Any Stadium card
Any Poke-Tool card
Any Fossil card

Also, if they're changing all the old game rules, how about a deck size increase? If they increase the decksize or give the opening player the option of a free mulligan hand, then maybe there's hope...

Let's analyze the new rules, shall we?

- Attacks that require no Energy
Some people say this will break the game. I disagree as it reduces luck factor as what if you do not have any energy in hand and won't get any for a long time. At least, energy-less attacks can give you not so much of a disadvantage if the opponent is faster.

- The player going first can't play any Trainer Cards (Trainers, Supporters, or Stadiums) on their initial turn.
In Modified, it stops t1 rare candy,cessation crystals, etc. but otherwise IMO no so much different than the original "no supporters first turn." The impact on Unlimited is probably going to be huge though.

- Claw Fossil, Mysterious Fossil, and Root Fossil can not be put into play on the first player's initial turn. These cards CAN be put into play during the initial setup phase.
Superb. No more annoyance of putting down the fossil if the fossil is the only basic in hand. However...

- If Claw Fossil, Mysterious Fossil, or Root Fossil is Knocked Out, the opponent takes a prize.
Okay, this killed the uniqueness of fossils and reduced the usability of fossil Pokemon. As if they were not restricting enough, now we have no compensation getting them to the field. No more stall decks like Polistall (as frustrating as they are, stalling is a legal strategy and time limit already deter making stall decks)... They are now just extremely inferior basics.

- Trainers, Supporters, and Stadiums are all classified as "Trainer Cards," but only Trainers, Pokemon Tools, and Technical Machines are considered "Trainers".
So far, this rule hasn't affected anything. Maybe in the future, they make a "Trainers" lock power, kinda like Dark Vileplume, but doesn't stop supporters or stadiums.

- Weakness and Resistance are now customized to each Pokemon. When calculating Weakness and Resistance, add or subtract the number written in the Weakness and Resistance section of the card.
I quite like this rule. Weakness is no longer as dangerous as before but still play a big role. OHKO will be less common, which is a good thing.

- Basic Energy versions of Darkness and Metal energy.
Unless they make special versions of the other basic energies, Dark and Steel Pokemon just got a BIG boost. Now, they have a basic, which much easier to search and recover, while the special gives them additional power/defense, which is not available to the Pokemon of other types. Let's not forget NG Sneasal...

- Leveling Up Pokemon/LV. X
It's a new twist of getting Pokemon out so it's gets some points for originality. LV. X is a nice mix between ex and * Pokemon. No more 4 ex and 4 normal. Now you have something like 2 normal and 2 LV. X, and no more risk of your opponent drawing 2 prizes. You also lose absolutely nothing when you level up (you get to keep previous attacks and powers!) I'm quite interested to see how this would affect Unlimited, as the early Pokemon had levels on them as well, maybe creating new combos...

So summarizing...
The Good:
Attacks that require no Energy
No more fossil as only basics
Customized Weakness/Resistance
Leveling

The Bad:
Fossils counting as Prizes
Basic Darkness/Metal

No "Significant" effect:
Trainers Categorization
No First-Turn Trainer Cards

The new rule's goods seem to outweigh the bad, but we'll have to see it in the metagame to actually determine if these changes are healthy or not. ;)

For me....

The Bad:
No First-Turn Trainer Cards
Fossils counting as Prizes

The Good:
Customized Weakness/Resistance
Leveling
Basic Darkness/Metal

No "Significant" effect:
Attacks that require no Energy
Trainers Categorization

I don't really care about the Fossils that much, but that's mostly because I don't use them. However the no-first turn trainers is ugly. Maybe if both players couldn't use them 1st turn I would go for it ... or maybe some sort of phase in by type ... but as is I will NEVER want to go first with DP.

Sounds to me like they've restricted what you can do if you go first so much that instead of it not being a big deal, it's actually a huge disadvantage to go first. :rolleyes:

Energyless attacks are always good. It's not like we've seen anyone be able to dish out 60+ damage for 0 Energy, so I don't see how anyone could claim that they will break the game.

I prefer the old rules because they are not complicated & easy to understand & I'm kinda disappointed about changing the pokemon-ex to level X...

The New rules are sweet!! Finally the game got good enough for me to jump back in ^O^

- Trainers were NEVER meant to be half the deck in my oppinion to begin with. A deck should be balanced with Energy, Pokemon and Trainers. So really the new Trainer rules dont affect anything!

- Fossils: The new rules sorta hurt for them but look on the plus side with their new ability! Flip a coin till you get tails reduce that much damage being done to it! You shouldnt base a deck around fossils to begin with unless your playing unlimited neo Omastar enough said ;P

- Attacks that require no energy thats a really good idea! It helps out the game so your not energy screwed. for those of you who play only 11 energy or less in your deck be thankful ;P

- Weakness and Resistance awesome idea i never did like the idea you could get OHKOD for one attack. Play D/P cards and the EX cards have nothing on you =) Weakness and Resistance dont play as much of a role as they used to in the game.

- Basic Dark and Metal Energies. It makes Dark pokemon more viable now and Dragonite got a boost =)

- Level X pokemon: It's a good idea but they could have been more original. It's just a combination of VS and Inuyasha xD seems like every game now a days does something similar to VS system hahaha

Over all D/P is gonna own i'm officially playing D/P forward ^O^

where are you guys getting this info? I think this is great! Starting fresh with a brand new way to play is okay with me! I'm sure the rules we have now were controversial when r/s came out, but look at it now!

I don't find the trainer rule that bad actually. I think they are trying to enforce the idea of "patience," since Pokemon is supposed to be a character building idea, maybe that's why.

The energy idea is simply awesome! I'm a huge fan of steel, I was very angry that I had to hold back on my favorite pokemon ever, but now I get a great defense-based steel deck!

I don't really understand the Level X. Thing at all... Anyone care to clarify?

Attacks requiring no energy are going to be quite interesting. Since they created poke' bodies and such- why not make ones that do damage? Sounds like a great idea to me.

I'm glad about the fossils. The fossils have always annoyed me! If you go against a guy that pulls out a fossil- you know you're in for an hour+ long battle. I think the new system corrects boring fights.

I think that the new weakness-resistance rule is going to add to each pokemon's uniqueness. I think they are hoping that players will see them as pokemon and not so much as just cards. Great idea!

We'll have to decide when the new rules come out and we actually play with them. Saying you don't like something without never actually doing it is stupid. We'll find out soon which are better.

Arcanine out.

A couple people I play with have already started to use the new rules (in preparation for D/P and for fun), and very few of them prefer the current ones over them. Going first does feel like a disadvantage, since your options are rather limited. As Alchemist_Almighty said, I would love to have a mulligan option enacted, allowing the starting player a proper setup.

The new ruling that disallows trainers first turn may be annoying to some, but in my opinion, it's well needed. I really dislike it when people say getting the first attack isn't that big of a deal; yes, yes it is. One attack makes a big difference, whether it's that final Zzzap to an injured EX, or losing your one starter (via bad hand or an intentional HL Pinsir) to a Boost Energy, Flygon ex, and Rare Candy combo. Personally, if I want to play a game where I lose/win so fast (not only because of bad luck), I'd go back to YuGiOh or Magic. Every attack counts, even the small damage adds up over time, and having your opponent be able to play something like three Plus Power for a turn-one win, is not fun.

In regards to the fossil card change, I know stalling is a valid tactic, and it kills the unique advantage fossil decks had, but FINALLY! Not only do they often have some annoying effect built in, but it essentially negates one of my attacks. I remember back in base set, everyone at my league was running 3-4 Clefairy Dolls, and they were beyond annoying; but at least they only had 10 HP, now fossils have 50, and could be discarded before being "knocked-out." Fossils in my opinion, are still practically evolving Holon Circles that are immune to Windstorm, and with Paleontologist and two more fossils coming out in Mystery of the Lakes, it would have only gotten worse.

In short: Change is good.

Edit: I'm bad at English.

Back