• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Double Solgaleo GX/Alolan Ninetales GX (Fairy) WIP Deck List

Duo

RIP Nessa 2023
This is a deck that I've also been working on for a while alongside Ray/Zeraora. I have made a thread on this deck before, but I'd rather not bump that old discussion as there are some new things to talk about now that the format has changed significantly since the last time I talked about this deck.

This time, I'm going to talk about pros and cons of this deck first before posting the deck list as this deck has been a huge problem child for me. This post is longer than most of my other ones, so brace yourself.

Pros

- The new Promo Solgaleo GX negates all weaknesses, making it a good match up against Blacephalon GX/Naganadel. The amount of energy Blacephalon GX has to burn through in order to grab KOs on 250 HP is staggering, and with Psychic resistance to boot, Naganadel isn't getting anything done very quickly either. Ultra Road moves you in & out of burn/confusion as well.

- Promo Solgaleo GX can GX attack to heal all damage from all of your Pokemon. This makes this deck also very resilient to non-GX Malamar decks trying to pick at you with Giratina, Shrine, and Spell Tag. You can erase several turns of poke damage to put you ahead or back on pace.

- Mt. Coronet is a great stadium card that solved this decks issue of not being able to have any energy to attach from hand after Sol Burst GX pulls all the energy out of your deck and later gets thrown into your discard. It also allows you to fight the stadium wars that have become even more popular lately.

Cons

- It's a Stage 2, so your consistency is automatically not as stable as a deck like Blacephalon GX/Naganadel. You are more or less forced to play Professor Elm on turn 1, and if you whiff that then you're in for a bad time.

- This deck runs low counts of its top end, making it even more inconsistent than most Stage 2s. In a standard Stage 2 deck, you generally run 3 GX and 1-2 non-GX top end. Due to both Solgaleos being GX, you are forced to run a 2/2 split in your top end, making the odds of finding the right one for the right time even harder.

- Recovering from KOs is rough. If you prize 1 kind of Solgaleo GX and your only other one gets KO'd, you are hustling real bad for a Rescue Stretcher ASAP.

Trying to Find Workarounds

Thankfully Alolan Ninetales GX comes included with Alolan Vulpix to help with grabbing the GX Pokemon the deck needs, but at the same time relying on Beacon puts you a turn behind in set up if you're going 1st. The best fix that I could find for this solution is to run at least 1 copy of Olivia who can grab you 2 GX Pokemon. Ideally, this would be one of your Solgaleo GX and a copy of Alolan Ninetales GX.

I know people are going to freak out at the mentioning of an incredibly unconvential supporter, but I also want people to take into consideration the sheer benefits it has for this deck. Let me break this down with the numbers.

Playing Olivia searches out 2 Pokemon GX from your deck, one of which is basically always going to be Alolan Ninetales GX (2 cards searched).

Playing down Alolan Ninetales GX searches you two item cards, one of which is likely going to be Rare Candy (4 total cards searched).

Assuming you chose to grab SuMo Solgaleo GX and opt to Sol Burst GX that same turn, you are now searching out 5 energy cards from your deck (9 total cards searched).

By this process, Olivia searches you NINE guaranteed cards and immediately puts your setup in go mode next turn. Even if you do opt to go for the other Solgaleo GX due to match up, the baseline is that you're still searching for 4 cards through Olivia. That's better than Steven searching you 3 and ending your turn with the drawback of not being able to search for energy (we need you back Professor's Letter).

The problem with this is that the deck becomes even more supporter heavy. When T1 wants to be Professor Elm and T2 wants to be Olivia for a nearly guaranteed T2 Sol Burst GX, where's the room for draw supporters to advance the deck?

And so I decided that 4 copies of Acro Bike are just straight up mandatory for this deck. Not only do they help you put energy in the discard pile to potentially allow you to not need Sol Burst GX at all, but they are basically your only outlet for pushing through your deck and finding the supporters you need like Elm. I would do something like run a 2/2 Zoroark GX line, but that makes this deck even clunkier and squeezes your bench space absolutely dry. I think Acro Bike is the only solution to this.

So finally, here's the list that I'm working with now.

Pokemon x16

SuMo Solgaleo GX x2
Promo Solgaleo GX x2
Nebby x4
Alolan Ninetales GX (Fairy) x2
Alolan Vulpix x2
Tapu Lele GX x2
Celesteela x1
Solgaleo Prism Star x1

Supporter x13

Cynthia x4
Guzma x3
Professor Elm x3
Sightseer x2
Olivia x1

Item x17

Ultra Ball x4
Acro Bike x4
Rare Candy x4
Choice Band x2
Rescue Stretcher x2
Nest Ball x1

Stadium x3

Mt. Coronet x3

Energy x11

Metal Energy x8
DCE x3

Let me talk about the debateable card choices here.

3 Copies of Professor Elm - I am a firm believer of there's no such thing as too many copies of Elm/Brigette in a Stage 2 deck. You want this card in hand turn 1 of every game, preferably without Lele. Any extra copies of Elm that show up later in the game can get discarded by Ultra Ball, Acro Bike, and Sightseer, so frankly I think it's totally fine.

There's only 6 Draw Supporters? - With 4 Acro Bikes and this deck wanting to play Elm on Turn 1 every game whereas others are playing Lillie, you are going to on average be playing less draw supporters throughout the entire game. This deck naturally runs a fairly low maintanence set up once you actually get set up. Ultra Road, Turbo Strike, and Mt. Coronet You can go a turn or two without playing a draw supporter and be fine in most situations unless your opponent has an amazing set up.

2 Copies of Rescue Stretcher - 1 might arguably be enough, but with the inclusion of Acro Bike, having 2 copies gives you more freedom of decision as well as makes it much easier to find when you need to recover from a KO. Rescue Stretcher is rarely the item of choice when putting down your first Alolan Ninetales GX, so you need a few copies to see it naturally.

2 Copies of Choice Band - Choice Band makes Celesteela and Solgaleo Prism Star hit for 190. This gives you incredibly favorable trades with all basic GX decks, which happen to be quite popular lately. Depending on circumstance, you will end up using Alolan Ninetales GX to grab one of these. I think 1 copy is too low, but it might be a trade I have to make. 230 is also just not enough damage to OHKO a lot of Stage 2s should the release of Alolan Ninetales GX Fairy cause an influx of Stage 2 decks to start popping up.

Celesteela and Solgaleo Prism Star - These two are here for back up damage and back up energy acceleration. You aren't always going to get Promo Solgaleo GX going for energy acceleration, but you can at least get SuMo Solgaleo GX in play and use Solgaleo Prism Star as an accelerator. It can also save your GX attack if you get lucky enough to see 3-4 basic energy in discard early on. As for Celesteela, remember that Sol Burst GX searches 5 of any energy card, including DCE. It takes only 3 energy cards to use Celesteela from Sol Burst outside of its condition. The other 2 can go to Solgaleo to power up Sunsteel Strike. Boasting 140 HP, Celesteela is an amazing match for basically every other non-GX attacker as most of them cap at 130 damage.

1 Copy of Nest Ball - Professor Elm can't search for Celesteela and Solgaleo Prism Star, but Alolan Ninetales GX can search for a Nest Ball to do that for you. It does come up, so having at least 1 copy to make your non-GX cards that much more accessible is a great option. 4 Ultra Ball alone is a little bit sketchy, so having a 5th ball card can help.

3 Copies of Mt. Coronet - as stated up top, this prevents the deck from bricking on energy when you dry up your deck after a Sol Burst GX. Promo Solgaleo GX can attack to accelerate 2, but SuMo Solgaleo GX needs 3 energy to attack, so you always need an energy in hand to attach at least every other turn.

8 Metal/3 DCE Energy Pool - 3 copies of DCE I find to be the perfect number. You want some for Promo Solgaleo GX, and as mentioned above, you also want some to use Celesteela outside of its prize gimmick, but you don't want much more than that since DCE is not beneficial for SuMo Solgaleo GX or Solgaleo Prism Star. I actually want room for a 9th Metal Energy in this deck, but 3 copies of Mt. Coronet should allow me to always see energy in hand anyway. This deck does not need a very high ceiling of energy since Sunsteel Strike is constantly just using the same 3 energy to attack every other turn, but a 9th Metal energy does help with getting the early attach for turn to even use Sol Burst in the first place. Acro Bike also really helps out with this. If I Acro Bike and pull Metal Energy and Mt. Coronet, obviously I discard the energy and keep Mt. Coronet, and I can effectively have both.

Would you consider ditto prism star in your deck? It seems good with 2 seperate pokemon lines, and can be elms’d.

Ditto Prism Star is only applicable if you place a Stage 1 over it, so it would only have applications for Alolan Ninetales GX, in which case I would run a 3rd Alolan Vulpix sooner than Ditto Prism Star to have access to Beacon more often and intentionally go second.

I have 0 Cosmoem in this list for deck space in order to include the 2/2 Alolan Ninetales GX line to begin with, and as such the increased odds of seeing Rare Candy means that I am always looking to skip the Stage 1.

Since Espeon EX is a thing of the past in Standard format, there is currently no need to go through the Stage 1 since there is no risk of de-evolution KOs.

Ditto Prism Star is only applicable if you place a Stage 1 over it, so it would only have applications for Alolan Ninetales GX, in which case I would run a 3rd Alolan Vulpix sooner than Ditto Prism Star to have access to Beacon more often and intentionally go second.

I have 0 Cosmoem in this list for deck space in order to include the 2/2 Alolan Ninetales GX line to begin with, and as such the increased odds of seeing Rare Candy means that I am always looking to skip the Stage 1.

Since Espeon EX is a thing of the past in Standard format, there is currently no need to go through the Stage 1 since there is no risk of de-evolution KOs.

Well, Unless people start teching in a Celebi Prism Star (Which I doubt)

Oh. I just re-read the card (lol), and I thought it could go to a stage 2 via rare candy. In that case, yeah, RC is better.

Well, Unless people start teching in a Celebi Prism Star (Which I doubt)

If I'm not mistaken, Celebi Prism Star is for devolving your own Pokemon, not your opponent's. Would be interesting to use it to devolve my own Alolan Ninetales GX and then dropping it back down next turn for item searching, but I don't think there's time for that. There's Shining Jirachi who can devolve, but putting the evolution back into the opponent's hand isn't exactly adviseable either. The meta is hyper concentrated on Basics & Stage 1s so I don't see these cards coming into popularity any time soon.

I would wholeheartedly play four Elm because it is that important for consistency. I would even opt to play three Vulpix so you can increase the likelihood of starting with it or just having another on your Bench for a second Ninetales play.

Not looking into this too much, I would:
-1 Olivia
-1 Rescue Stretcher
+1 Vulpix
+1 Elm

I'm okay with losing a Stretcher for a 4th Elm, but I don't think I'm okay with ditching Olivia.

In my playtesting, getting Olivia basically guarantees that my set up is successful. I used to play Gardevoir GX back when Diancie and Sylveon GX were up for grabs and often changed between 2-3 Eevee and 2-3 Diancie. The 3rd copy didn't really make a difference most of the time, especially in context of the Eevee.

I really wish this deck could use something like Mysterious Treasure to access its top end, but 4 Ultra Ball alone sometimes isn't enough. Playing Olivia allows me to get my GXs so I can hold my Ultra Balls for a Tapu Lele next turn or a Celesteela. It opens the door quite a bit. I honestly want 2 copies of Olivia on top of 3-4 Elm, but this deck has no room for all of that.

EDIT:

To further elaborate, bench space is usually delegated this way for me, if possible:

3 Nebby
1 Vulpix/Ninetales
1 Lele
1 Non-GX

I like having 3 Nebby on the bench at a time since it allows me to immediately react to if one of them get KO'd, so I really don't have the space to double play Vulpix & Ninetales. I also just don't want to have more than 1 on the bench at a time due to the fact that they can't attack and will start crowding, especially if I need 2 Leles in play.

The other strength of the Olivia play is that by searching out all the cards that you do, it means that your odds of pulling other resources naturally after playing a draw supporter or acro bike are much better. Removing 9 cards from your deck in one turn is a lot of thinning. It's another reason why I value the Olivia as much as I do.

At the same time I don't want to tunnel too hard on Olivia. Maybe there's a better solution to making the top end easier to access without a supporter and without having to play any coin flip ball cards.

Last edited:
I decided to approach this list from a completely different angle when it comes to supporter and set up process.

Pokemon x17

SuMo Solgaleo GX x2
Promo Solgaleo GX x2
Nebby x4
Alolan Ninetales GX (Fairy) x2
Alolan Vulpix x3
Tapu Lele GX x2
Celesteela x1
Solgaleo Prism Star x1

Supporter x12

Cynthia x4
Lillie x3
Guzma x3
Sightseer x2

Item x17

Ultra Ball x4
Rare Candy x4
Nest Ball x3
Mysterious Treasure x3
Choice Band x2
Rescue Stretcher x1

Stadium x2

Mt. Coronet x2

Energy x12

Metal Energy x9
DCE x3

Some noteable changes:

Professor Elm is completely removed for Lillie - Professor Elm is a card that helps and hurts this deck. Since you have some basic tech cards like Celesteela in deck, Professor Elm is incapable of searching for this card to any capacity, along with Solgaleo Prism Star. The other main issue with this card is, just like Brigette, while you may find yourself 3 basics to start with, if the rest of your hand is dead, the supporter has no value and you're still stuck for an unknown amount of time. Especially since we no longer have Professor Sycamore in standard format, playing Cynthia and hoping to get your set up off of 6 cards on a shuffle draw is incredibly unoptimal. To all of these points, Lillie has settled herself as, in my opinion, THE best Turn 1 supporter that any deck can play. This deck needs to see a lot of things in hand very quickly beyond the turn 1 set up, and Professor Elm just can't help out with that.

3 Alolan Vulpix, 3 Nest Ball, 3 Mysterious Treasure - To accomodate for a Lillie-focused Turn 1 deck with no Professor Elm, we are increasing our options for Pokemon searching set up. Mysterious Treasure is capable of finding Tapu Lele GX and Cosmog which helps your set up and helps you find Lillie, but maxing out on this card is risky since its only purpose is to find Tapu Lele beyond the set up phase. Nest Ball can grab your entire basic line, including if you want to use Solgaleo Prism star as an acceleration option over Sol Burst GX to preserve your GX for Prominence GX in certain match ups. But again, since this card cannot grab evolutions, maximizing it seems a bit excessive to me. Ultra Ball is primarily reserved for searching out evolutions, but it can also be used to make the hand thinner for a good turn 1 Lillie to draw into your evolutions instead. A 3rd Alolan Vulpix comes in since you are not guaranteeing one off of Elm to increase the odds of seeing it.

I think long-term this style change is better for the deck's consistency than playing Elm and praying that you can get everything you need on turn 2 from the rest of your hand and top decking. This style also prevents this deck from being all-or-nothing. Odds are you will still at least see 1 Cosmog and 1 Alolan Vulpix on the board by the end of turn 1 which is really all this deck needs to have Solgaleo GX on turn 2. Unlike a Gardevoir GX deck that wants to see as many Gardevoir GX in play as soon as possible to stack abilities, this is a deck that alternates attacks every other turn, so it can afford to stagger its set up as long as you know your priorities.

Back