Donchamp Deck Troubles

infektionfoxtrot

Aspiring Trainer
Hey everyone. I recently built my own donchamp deck, with the hopes of being more competitive at my local league. I have been having a lot of trouble with my deck. I cant seem to get anything going. My deck seems very slow, and to late to get started. Ive especially been having a lot of trouble against my friend who runs a reshiphlosion deck. I get destroyed by his Reshirams and afterburner. I know my deck is probably broken in areas considering it is my first deck that I build completely from scratch. Upon looking over the decklist again I think my weakness is in my trainers and supporters. Im all over the place, and I probably lack consistency. Any help would be great. :) {F}

4-4 Donphan Prime
4-2-4 Machamp Prime
2 Tyrogue
15 Fighting Energy
4 DCE
2 PONT
2 Lucian's Assignment
1 Sage's training
2 pokemon communicator
2 switch
1 energy search
1 roseanne's research
2 rare candy
2 pokemon catcher
2 interviewers questions
1 fisherman
1 bebe's search
1 twins
1 junk arm

For starters Lucian's Assignment, Roseanne's Research, and Bebe's Search are not in current format cards so you cannot use them in tournament play. Next, I think you should try to incorporate Landorus NV. Finally I think you could stabilize your TSS lines 3-4 Rare Candy would be ideal, more Junk Arm if you do put in Landorus to get energy into the discard. There is alot more you could do but these are just a few ideas.

Some Landorus might be good in my opinion for getting out energies and attacking quicker, though Donphan is better at the attacking. 2 Tyrogue seems too much. I'd suggest more Sage's Training and PONT and Juniper because those could really help to draw. I'd also suggest cutting some fighting energy and DCE because 19 energies seems to be too much for this deck. In the place of IQ, I would put Cilan because it is better, but I think that only 1 should be enough. I would replace roseanne's search for collectors. Pokemon Collectors are a definite need in any deck. Instead of Bebe's Search. Pokemon Communication would be a lot better. Lucian's assignment does not seem that great for moving energy, and I don't think that moving energy would be a big problem in this deck so I'd suggest cutting that too.

Your trainer lines are indeed all over the place. Try something like this:

4 Pokémon Collector
4 Professor Oak's New Theory
4 Sage's Training
2 Cheren
2 N
4 Pokémon Communication
3 Junk Arm
2 Switch
2 Pokémon Catcher
3 Rare Candy

You can also cut down on the energy a lot and thin your lines a little. You don't really need the Tyrogues.

Yeah I definitely think cutting down on energies would be a good idea in this deck. I always end up with a lot of energies but no where to put them. Ive looked into more Pokemon communicators, because my bench is always close to empty. I always thought Tyrogues were good for early hits, and easy retreat. No go on them?

Well, they are only good for cleffa but you might want to set up better during that time by stacking energy on the bench with donphan.

So what about Pokemon. If I got rid of Tyrogue I would only have 4-4 Dopnphan, 4-2-4 Machamp. Is that enough? I guess I could add Landorus, how many though. 2?

It would help if you edited your post to reflect the changes made to your deck.

I'm not going to count all of this, but Celebi23's T/S lines looks good. I would use that, or something very close to it. Also, -2 Tyrogue + 2 Landorus, it's enough. 19 energy might be too much but I don't have a lot of experience with donchamp builds.

Captain Oats said:
It would help if you edited your post to reflect the changes made to your deck.

I'm not going to count all of this, but Celebi23's T/S lines looks good. I would use that, or something very close to it. Also, -2 Tyrogue + 2 Landorus, it's enough. 19 energy might be too much but I don't have a lot of experience with donchamp builds.

Yeah im rebuilding my deck tonight to use in my league tomorrow. It sucks because i only have 1 Landorus. I guess ill proxy till i get another.

Ok I updated my deck, and im having a lot more success. Really all to the help of you guys. With the upcoming set next destinies, should I include 2 Regigigas ex's? I would like to add them because they are colorless, and... i just really like the new set. Any thoughts?

Updated deck-----
4-2-3 Machamp
4-4 Donphan
2 Landorus
4 Sages training
2 switch
3 junk arm
4 pokemon collector
4 PONT
2 pokemon catcher
3 rare candy
2 N
4 Pokémon communicator
4 DCE
9 fighting energy

I'd add 2-3 Twins in there. The deck is very slow and it has a complex setup. Otherwise it looks pretty good.

Update on deck! Ive been having a lot of success with my Donphan Machamp deck. With the recent release I wanted to include a Regigigas Ex for heavy hitting, and late game as a finisher. I reduced a few trainers to include 2 twins. Im thinking about including two Regi's. Any thoughts?

New Updated Deck-
4-2-3 Machamp
4-4 Donphan
1 Regigigas EX
4 Sages training
2 switch
3 junk arm
3 pokemon collector
4 PONT
2 pokemon catcher
3 rare candy
2 N
4 Pokémon communicator
2 twins
4 DCE
9 fighting energy

Not sure how much it will matter to you, but im also playing donchamp, and one of my biggest problems isnt getting everything set up, but rather, mewtwo ex. Now, if you like gigas, then nvm, but i think a mewtwo would be good. Cuz a mewtwo can easily ohko a machamp with ease. D:

Also, people say that heavy balls would work nice with donchamp. I personally never made any room myself for it, but it is pretty cool.

I use rocky helmet too, but thats more of a personal thing.

Back