Help Donated 1999 theme decks from U.S. Army!

BasicYuki

Aspiring Trainer
Does anyone have any idea of the value of these Pokemon cards?
It seems these are 1999 theme decks but I'm not sure if there's any reprint edition or something.

These cards are not mine, I found this tweet and the tweeter says:

Some U.S. Army donated Pokemon cards ( the amount is unclear) to an Orphanage in somewhere in Japan.
The tweeter's daughter(age unknown) went to the orphanage as a volunteer for the christmas party held there.
And the orphanage gave these cards(decks) to her as a christmas present.

In this tweet, the father(tweeter) appreciates the kindness/goodwill, but also complains that he and his little kid(s) have no idea how to play so these cards are futile for them.
(Maybe he complains about the donation from US Army too, like "there's better way to donate..." cause he thinks little kids can't play cardgames.)

Sorry for my bad English.

Attachments

• AA946463-BB1C-482F-A761-5009925BBECD.jpeg
    AA946463-BB1C-482F-A761-5009925BBECD.jpeg
    234.4 KB · Views: 16
  • A743BDD8-F878-446B-A287-B743302B1A22.jpeg
    A743BDD8-F878-446B-A287-B743302B1A22.jpeg
    295.8 KB · Views: 16
The decks are probably about $200 each if they are still factory sealed, but I wouldn’t be surprised if the daughter has opened them and looked inside.

The loose cards are from Base Set. They are Shadowless cards and Unlimited Edition, so they are not as valuable as First Edition Base Set cards, but they are rarer and more valuable than other Unlimited Edition cards. If the father listed each of those cards on eBay, he could probably get at least an average of $30 a piece, but without better photos of each card, I cannot tell what condition these cards are in. (Even with obvious damage like creases, these would each be $10 or $20 cards.)

To do the father justice, these cards are written in English, so if he and his kids don’t know English (Which some sources say would be 70 to 90 percent of the population), they would have to constantly look up the Japanese rules and card text online, even if they knew where to find that information.

It might be worth letting the original poster know that these cards he has no use for are valuable, and that he should keep them safe and do more research on how to sell them and safely store and ship them. I can do more research if he is interested in selling them and needs more information.

Back