Does Pokemon Hate Arcanine?

scizorlicious

Now with one fewer 's'
I'm dead serious. The last few Arcanine cards have just been awful. Does whoever designs the Arcanine cards just hate Arcanine or something?

Reshiram EX Battle Strength Deck said:
Arcanine – Fire – HP120
Stage 1 – Evolves from Growlithe

[R][C] Crunch: 30 damage. Flip a coin, if heads choose 1 Energy attached to the opponent’s Active Pokemon and discard it.
[R][C][C] Heat Blast: 70 damage.

Weakness: Water (x2)
Resistance: none
Retreat: 3

Arcanine HGSS (nice, only 110 HP, 2 for 50, and 4 for 90. Gamebreaking).
Arcanine SV (4 for 40? Yea that's a good attack).
Arcanine RR (this one isn't so bad, but still not playable in any way, shape, or form).

They're all either mediocre or awful. And seriously, what's up with giving Arcanine 2 or 3 RC? It's a relatively speedy Pokemon AND it can learn Extremespeed, for God's sake.

Well some cards just have some bad runs. If I remember right, Arcanine ex saw a little play. And it's not like some other cards (Metagross, Dragonite, Lugia, etc) have gotten great cards for awhile lately. They have to make some cards bad to have a healthy metagame and apparently Arcanine is one that got the worst of it.

One Pokemon I would like to see as a good card one day would be Eevee, just think about it, Eevee with the Arceus rule = Eeveelutions just became broken again.

But on the subject of Arcanine they should make one that actually works, I mean come on, Arcanine is awesome, so why not give it a good card?

ARCANINE DESTROYS FLESH. I think they balance out how bad the arcanines are, with how awesome their art is. However the ratio of playable Arcanine's to Gardevoirs, is sickening. I want an Arcanine ex full art.

Well think of how long it took for Charizard to become competitive again after Base Set and we got the one from Platinum: Arceus. Too bad Pokemon Catcher ruins it however before hand he was awesome, your benched tech's like Ninetales and Typhlosion Prime were safe from getting donked.

Speaking of Arcanine there was a halfway decent one from one of the Platinum sets, sadly it didn't see as much play as it could of. The HS Arcanine is decent for League play but that's really about it. It wasn't designed well enough to see competitive play, heck I'd love to see a competitively good Snorlax to be Modified legal yet I'm not complaining. :rolleyes:

I'd say this new Arcanine's only issue is the 3D artwork, ew. Can't we just get the Battle Revolution 3D models?

Other than that, I don't see WHY you're complaining about this one. It's a huge improvement from those other cards (heck even the last one there screams "BEAT ME UP" ) so you should be praising it's improvement. At least it doesn't need an extra energy to do 70 damage. A simple DCE solves that issue. To top it off, it's got 120 HP and the potential to break off an energy from your opponent. This Arcanine has a lot of positive points to it. The only problem I see is the 3 Retreat cost, but ya know, Switch exists. It's been there since the beginning. I also don't see anyone needing to retreat this one often either.

Why has no-one mentioned the hail blizzard Arcanine, which we should see in the TCG for our February set hopefully:

Arcanine – Fire – HP130
Stage 1 – Evolves from Growlithe

Ability: Scorching Mane
When this Pokemon is your Active Pokemon and receives damage from an opponent’s Pokemon’s attack, the Pokemon that used the attack is now Burned.

[R][R][C] Fire Spin: 100 damage. Flip a coin, if tails choose 2 Energy attached to this Pokemon and discard them.

Weakness: Water (x2)
Resistance: none
Retreat: 3

It is definitely more playable than all the other, and hits for a solid 100. The discard is awful, but could work with victini and emboar. Admittedly, it wont' be too competitive, but a decent, fun league deck could be made. Also the art is quite nice for this one.

It's not Gengar, Machamp, Pikachu, Zoroark, or Victini, so Pokemon can't make them good.

I like the art of the Arcanine, and totally agree with the retreat cost.

You can apply this to a lot of Pokémon. Many of them seem to suffer from this exact same curse, like Starmie, Weezing, and Persian. Over the years, they've seen almost no play, regardless of which ones they were. While ones like Machamp and Gengar had a lot of favoritism and nearly always get amazing cards.
You can pretty much tell if a card is going to be good 20% of the time by figuring out which Pokémon it is; if any of its iterations were very competitive in the past, chances are this one's gonna be at least somewhat playable.

Actually, If you tech the HB one into a Reshiram varient it can help V.S. G/R, maybe, because of burn.
OMG the SV Arcanine was complete KARP!

Pokefan4000 said:
You can apply this to a lot of Pokémon. Many of them seem to suffer from this exact same curse, like Starmie, Weezing, and Persian. Over the years, they've seen almost no play, regardless of which ones they were. While ones like Machamp and Gengar had a lot of favoritism and nearly always get amazing cards.
You can pretty much tell if a card is going to be good 20% of the time by figuring out which Pokémon it is; if any of its iterations were very competitive in the past, chances are this one's gonna be at least somewhat playable.
Starmie saw a little play in Shuppet donk as a Mewtwo counter. And I think I remember a playable Persian in the ex sets, but I'm not 100% sure.

I think a 2/3 retreat is on par for Arcanine. It doesn't matter how fast it is, it matters how fat, and Arcanine is one hefty Feline cat.

Flygon Jedi Master said:
I think a 2/3 retreat is on par for Arcanine. It doesn't matter how fast it is, it matters how fat, and Arcanine is one hefty Feline cat.
1) Arcanine is a dog.
2) Ho-Oh, which weighs more than Arcanine, has 0 Retreat Cost.
3) It can learn Extremespeed...

I laughed hard at that one "Arcanine is one hefty Feline cat" it just sounded funny cause you called him a fat cat, hahaha. Ahem but it's a canine fo' sho. Even has it in the name. But yea that seems kinda weird how he's so mediocre and needs to pay so much to retreat. I mean Ho-oh might be able to fly away, but with its weight you'd think he'd be out of breath but nope he can effortlessly run to the bench. Ah, but I remember seeing a couple of Arcanine's back in the old GBC game... I dreaded it a few times. I don't see too much of him nowdays... hmmmm...

Some cards just are better than others. Why do some pokemon in the video games have better stats? That's just how pokemon deigned it. I suggest you stop complaining and work with what you have. Just because your favorite pokemon doesn't have a good card doesn't mean the format is broken or anything.

yes, pokemon hates arcanine :p
Such a good pokemon in the video game and they have never made a top tier playable card. That's hate my friend

I'd hardly say the TCG hates Arcanine when there are Kanto Pokemon like Cloyster that have half as many cards as Arcanine does.

Frost said:
I'd hardly say the TCG hates Arcanine when there are Kanto Pokemon like Cloyster that have half as many cards as Arcanine does.

While it's true they give him a card in a majority of the sets, they are horrendous and unplayable with few exceptions. His power and use in the VG just doesn't translate to the TCG i guess

If pokemon really hated Arcanine, they wouldn't have made the pokemon. Just be thankful it's not like kadabra, who hasn't had a print since skyridge. At least they gave it good stats in the video game. Just look at farfetch'd

Back