Do you think building a new PTCGO engine is a plausible option?

TheUltimateAbsol

Truth or Ideals? It's all Black and White to me
Due to the new update that PTCGO introduced, many fans are a bit angry at the longer time that it takes to play.

Even more, other TCG simulators are kinda on the low end due to the lack of recent updates and many unresolved bugs.

Would it be a good time to start making my own? Maybe even one that tests cards that haven't came out yet?

I love coding and everything about it. This would be very fun

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
I would say no. Building an engine requires lots of work, experience and time commitment on your behalf, and you could be the subject of copyright issues. In fact, building a good emulator and consistently maintaining it will probably prevent you from using it for the reasons you intended due to the amount of time commitment required!

Even though it is slow currently, I don't think the PTCGO team is going to ignore the slight uproar and feedback expressed by its consumers. I actually think there is an option to turn off the extra effects in battle through the game settings, which would speed up the game at the present time. I would wait it out and see PTCGO's response. In regards to other TCG emulators, they may be buggy, but I reckon it will be better to use them than make your own emulator, which will probably end up being buggy anyway. So, considering that, I think it's best to just wait it out and be contempt with what you've got already. :)

crann777

I See You
Yeah, the new UI is definitely not a good change. As bbninjas said, in addition to turning off animations, download the latest card images through the settings menu.

If you want to build your own TCG simulator as a thought experiment/POC, then go for it, but be realistic about your expectations for the final product.

Clear

Birb is the Word
Judging from PTCGO's current stance, it would be good to explore option.
Their feedback response, to the 25+ pages of negative comments, was along the lines of : "Nothing is wrong with the game, you just need to get used to it."

Their current notes for 2.33 was also worrying cause it leaves out any mentions of animations, and the click and drop, which is the most pressing concerns.

Otaku

The wise fool?
The title is a bit misleading:

"Do you think building a new PTCGO engine is a plausible option?"

The Pokémon Trading Card Game Online is an official product, so no I don't think you will be allowed to build an entirely new engine for it and perhaps lamentably, neither will the-powers-that-be behind it (it seems like it had an iffy direction from the get go). Now building your own program to play Pokémon online is an option, but why are you doing it? I mean, you could just play against friends via Skype, right? Use your real cards and play the game. You can still proxy if you need access to cards that you don't already own, either.

marquisexb

Aspiring Trainer
Glad to see this on other forums. There was a lot of anti-2.32 sentiment on reddit (ptcgo) as well. We organized a vocalization of our feelings last Wednesday (basically asking people to go on twitter & send a msg @Pokemon). If we were to do it again this would there be much interest here?

SaiScott95

TCG Fanboy
*sigh* everyone relying on simulators these days... I miss back when printing proxies and playing on skype was a thing for testing...

Otaku

The wise fool?
*sigh* everyone relying on simulators these days... I miss back when printing proxies and playing on skype was a thing for testing...

Honestly, as the PTCGO is official, is it really a "simulator"? The cards aren't exactly "real" either. "Real" would be having actual pocket monsters fighting it out. XD Having a physical copy of the cards may be tangible, but isn't the reason we have card sleeves and both players and collectors worry about card condition because they are relatively fragile? Yeah, even players have to worry about it; if a card is in poor enough shape to count as "marked", you have to replace it.

Frankly I am starting to wonder if "virtual" TCGs are the future of the entire industry. If companies figure out how to monitor (or get a cut from) sales of virtual product from player to player, it seems quite likely.