BW/BW2 Do you guys think...

GARman.

Aspiring Trainer
That Black and White is helping Pokémon make baby steps into the world of visual novel RPG's where the dialogue, instead of maintaining the over-world interface make the art of that character appear with the speech bubble under it? I mean, look at this screen shot:

black-white-character-3.gif

This practically screams PC port.

So, if you guys were to get news of a Pokémon Gen VI main series game become a RPG with visual novel cutscenes, what would you say and how'd you react? DISCUSSION, TURN UP!

I hate this. It has a whole 'Im playing yu-gi-oh on my Game boy advance' feel to it, which is just wrong.

Cutscenes might be interesting, but I don't like them in DS games. Cutscenes on the Wii, or the PS2 are cool, but on the DS they seem blurry and weird. Plus, how would a cutscene work? You're jusy walking along and then...BAM! You're in a cut scene. Personally, I think Pokemon has a great game now. Don't change it much.

Isshu said:
I hate this. It has a whole 'Im playing yu-gi-oh on my Game boy advance' feel to it, which is just wrong.

I thought Yu-gi-oh when I saw that picture also.

Cutscenes might be interesting, but I don't like them in DS games. Cutscenes on the Wii, or the PS2 are cool, but on the DS they seem blurry and weird. Plus, how would a cutscene work? You're jusy walking along and then...BAM! You're in a cut scene. Personally, I think Pokemon has a great game now. Don't change it much.

They had a cutscene with Rayquaza, Kyogre, and Groudon in Pokemon Emerald, which is on the Gameboy Advance.

I'd much rather see the characters we have the most interactions with getting face to face conversations. It helps portray emotion and other things better than tiny sprites can. This holds my attention MUCH better than to blobs facing each other, smashing through the text button.

cocowoushi said:
I'd much rather see the characters we have the most interactions with getting face to face conversations. It helps portray emotion and other things better than tiny sprites can. This holds my attention MUCH better than to blobs facing each other, smashing through the text button.

Yeah, I agree; and by the looks of the video it should show a good lot more.
It should actually help progress story, and I doubt it'll be used all the time for cut scenes; looking back at previous games that is.

I especially hate this. The first image just screams "I'm yu-gi-oh!" it's too dramatic and anime-ish (is that a word?)

sturtle said:

I agree on the DS it wouldnt be right but what about the 3DS?

Looks stupid. Unless there moving, The backgound is moving, People/Pokemon in the background moving, kinda like Colloseum/XD.

I somehow missed this. I think this is brilliant! This reminds me of Phoenix Wright, a brilliant series with some of the best sprite work I've ever seen, and this one-ups it! (Admittedly I haven't seen it in action, if they don't change emotions or move it will detract from it a bit, but still, the little 32x32 characters do a much worse job than this.)

And if anyone's played Ace Attorney Investigations, the transitions from one style to another can be very natural.

Once again, this is brilliant!

I seriously don't really care upon this. The producers are probably trying to try something new for once. We can't really stop them from trying out. Some people might not exactly like it, but there are some people who seem to like it. It might take some time to get used to the new "features" in the game.

I think cutscenes would be a step-up from what they have been doing where you can't really follow who's talking and their expressions because they are in little sprite form.

I have pretty mixed feeling about this cutscene stuff. It doesn't feel too attractive, especially in a pokemon game for DS. But if timed right and used only on special characters, like the rival and the professor, it could be pretty good.

Back