Help Do New Sets Decrease the Value of Previous Sets Secret Rares/Rainbows etc?

ShinyDragonite

Aspiring Trainer
Given that I haven't been collecting cards for years and years and I usually just keep whatever cards I buy to myself, I'm slightly oblivous to the depreciation of cards and what cards are worth holding onto. I'm also wondering if I would be better to sell them on to fund other packs.

I've pulled a few good cards recently and i'm in the position that I would quite like to keep them as they are first owner and worth a bit of money. At the same time i'm wondering if they are going to dip in the near future, then it may make sense to sell when the price is high.

Any knowledge or examples of people's experience would be appreciated.

Older set secret rares normally go down in price as they flood the market and what their demand is but as sets go out of print, the harder to get cards will go up in value because their either become collector cards or things people want in their decks.

I collect the full art Articuno and Zapdos from Generations since these cards will go up in value. Cards tend to be a hit or miss but things I tend to keep around are secret rare Eeveelutions, full art supporters (normally female characters), Energy, Rayquaza, Charizard, Lugia and Ho-Oh cards and some other Legendary Pokemon, though most are hit and miss, some Promo cards, though these are also hit and miss and most secret rare Dragon-type Pokemon since these cards tend to be worth more for no real reason.

Best thing to do is keep cards you like but that's what I mostly look for.

Last edited:
That's a good enough insight to give me a rough idea mate cheers.

I have a secret rare double colourless and some EX Pokemon that I really like the artwork on and they seem to be pretty expensive to buy.

I'll hold onto them for now, I think I'd prefer to own a first owner card which holds value than sell it and regret it.

Modern Secret Rares (and Rainbow Rares) are "reprints" of cards from the current or previous expansion, as opposed to a brand new card you've got to get if you want to play it. I think this should guard their value in the long term.

I see you mentioned that you were considering singles to "fund other packs". I may be taking that too literally but I would never sell a single to get a pack, which is a mere gamble. Buying singles is the absolute best way to go when getting cards as you're guaranteeing that youll get exactly what you need, albeit at however the price of the card in question.

It also depends on if you're a collector or a player. If you mainly collect I'd keep all the older cards you own(Just look at some of the BW-era EX cards like Darkrai, Mew or Raikou, they're worth a fortune), as many of them do go on a rise as time goes on, or if you're a player then I'd fund in getting whatever deck you're playing.

Also definitely keep that Secret Rare Double Colorless. DCE is one of those cards that's almost guaranteed to stay in rotation for good, so it's only going to go up as supply of GUR gets lower. Many staple trainers in their rarest form have a heavy price tag. Energies too, I'm sure almost every SR energy is going to be worth a fortune eventually.

The reason I mention funding other packs is because I have only just started collecting for this deck and as daft as it may sound, I prefer to have first owner cards and I don't have a great deal of useful cards from the guardians rising expansion at the moment.

Originally it was from a collective point of view I've bought cards but I intend to start playing casually-that being said, I think I would actually be better to buy singles for that aspect and keep my collection in good condition separately.

I'll hold onto the DCE as it seems to be quite sought after and from what you've suggested, it will hold it's value at least. I don't think I would have actually went on to sell it but the question was in my head if it was more logical to sell it if it was indeed going to dip in price and become a fairly common/cheap card to have in the future.

The reason I mention funding other packs is because I have only just started collecting for this deck and as daft as it may sound, I prefer to have first owner cards and I don't have a great deal of useful cards from the guardians rising expansion at the moment.

Originally it was from a collective point of view I've bought cards but I intend to start playing casually-that being said, I think I would actually be better to buy singles for that aspect and keep my collection in good condition separately.

I'll hold onto the DCE as it seems to be quite sought after and from what you've suggested, it will hold it's value at least. I don't think I would have actually went on to sell it but the question was in my head if it was more logical to sell it if it was indeed going to dip in price and become a fairly common/cheap card to have in the future.

Well I can definitely recommend you get a booster box then, I've gotten complete common/uncommon/rare/sometimes holo sets just out of them plus the ultra rares. I can see why you'd want to be the first owner of a card honestly. There's many reasons why (and honestly some cards I've pulled like FA Landorus or SR empoleon, my favorite Pokemon are way more sentimental just because I've pulled them over just buying them)

Yeah, you can definitely save money getting played singles if you're soley getting them for playing. After a while I'm sure you'll have to get some singles to collect but it's definitely a good idea to keep the collection separate from the playing cards.

Yeah, if you had something like a bunch of Decidueye-GXs lying around I'd definitely say sell since I'm sure those are going to heavily dip in price, but with something like SR UB or DCE Those are usually safe to keep.

Back