DiscOUnt Pharmaceuticals

Cinesra

Aspiring Trainer
For lack of a better name.​

Team-Building Process

640.gif

I started off with SD Virizion because I heard he was a great threat to Rain teams.
640.gif
423.gif

Next, I added Gastrodon to complete the destruction of rain teams. Gastrodon also walled Rain Jirachi and Dragonite, two Pokemon that gave my previous team trouble.
640.gif
423.gif
485.gif

Then, Heatran was added as a check to Sun teams.
640.gif
423.gif
485.gif
227.gif

Later, Skarmory was added as a Physical wall.
640.gif
423.gif
485.gif
227.gif
385.gif

Jirachi was added to counter some more Special threats such as Tornadus and Reuniclus.
640.gif
423.gif
485.gif
227.gif
385.gif
381.gif

In order to check Mixnape, Toxicroak, and Sun teams further, I added Latios.
598.gif
423.gif
485.gif
227.gif
212.gif
381.gif

I stuck with this line-up for a while and it did fairly well, but it came to my attention that Terrakion and Gyarados could dominate my team and Virizion didn't really add to much, so I replaced Jirachi and Virizion with Scizor and Ferrothorn, respectively. These new Pokemon could do pretty much the same jobs as their predecessors, in addition to covering my previous threats.
598.gif
423.gif
485.gif
227.gif
212.gif
94.gif

After finding out that Lucario could sweep Skarmory, I added Gengar, who could do pretty much the same thing that Latios was doing, in addition to checking Luke.
598.gif
423.gif
485.gif
227.gif
212.gif
149.gif

After playing around a bit, I decided to replace Gengar with Dragonite to further check Sun teams. I changed Heatran to Scarftran to cover the things that Gengar checked. Now I'm not swept by Sun teams with Ground coverage moves, but am weaker to Ice Punch Toxicroak.
598.gif
423.gif
485.gif
149.gif
442.gif
472.gif

I switched Skarmory and Scizor for Gliscor and Spiritomb. I wanted to be able to switch something into Terrakion's attacks, so I replaced Scizor and Skarmory, who did about the same thing as Gliscor. Then, I added Spiritomb to cover the Fighting types and Reuniclus that gave Gliscor trouble. Now I can switch into Terrakion's attacks, have more offense with taunt+sd, and can spread burns. However, I lose out on Scizor's scouting/revenge killing and Skarmory's hazards/phazing.
598.gif
423.gif
485.gif
149.gif
442.gif
80.gif

I replaced Gliscor with Slowbro to better check Landorus.
At A Glance

[icon]598[/icon][icon]485[/icon][icon]423[/icon][icon]80[/icon][icon]149[/icon][icon]442[/icon]​

Pokemon Analysis

front.png
Pokemon:FerrothornItem:Leftovers
Ability:Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SDef
Nature:RelaxedMoves:
  • Stealth Rock
  • Leech Seed
  • Gyro Ball
  • Power Whip
Ferrothorn is here to check Latios, Gyarados, Kingdra, and other various Water and Dragon types that Gliscor and Gastrodon need help taking down. SR is for wearing down opponents; especially sun teams. I have been considering running T-Wave over Gyro Ball, but I'm pretty iffy about it. T-Wave lets me spread status around; slowing down and sometimes stopping my opponent from moving. Gyro Ball lets me hit fast, boosted Pokemon harder than Power Whip; like Dragons after a Dragon Dance. I run SR on her because she can continue to set up rocks on Starmie while wearing it down with Iron Barbs. She's female in case of people who try to catch me off-guard with Rivalry Haxorus. At least one of her weaknesses to Fire and Fighting is taken care of by the rest of the team.
front.png
Pokemon:HeatranItem:Choice Scarf
Ability:Flash Fire
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Nature:ModestMoves:
  • Fire Blast
  • Hidden Power [Rock]
  • Dragon Pulse
  • Earth Power
Heatran is my main Sun check. He also functions as a revenge killer. I used to run a Specially Defensive set, but switched to Scarftran to check things like Hydreigon, Infernape, and out-speeds Ninetales and unboosted Volcarona. I tried Overheat, but switched to Fire Blast because I was tired of being used as set-up-bait. I have HP rock for Volcarona. Dragon Pulse is for Dragons like Hydreigon. Earth Power is mostly filler, but it does let me hit opposing Heatrans. I'm considering running HP Grass now that I have Dragonite, but for now I'm keeping HP Rock to check Volcarona with HP Rock. Similar to Ferrothorn, at least one of his weaknesses to Water, Fighting, and Ground is covered by each member of the rest of the team.
front.png
Pokemon:GastrodonItem:Leftovers
Ability:Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 SDef
Nature:CalmMoves:
  • Scald
  • Ice Beam
  • Toxic
  • Recover
I've really been enjoying Gastrodon lately. He is a great check to Rain teams, and my go-to guy for Rain Jirachi and Dragonite sets because of his amazing Special bulk. When I first started using Gastrodon, I ran Stockpile. Even though the bulk could be useful late-game, I was still destroyed by Grass moves, and was wasting loads of PP against Pokemon I was supposed to be walling, such as Washtom and Starmie. Ice Beam is here to kill Rain Dragonite, along with hitting Grass types harder. Scald is my STAB move and like its Fire type counterpart, Lava Plume, is nice for spreading Burns around. This is especially useful against Pokemon that would like to hit Gastrodon on his weaker Defense stat, such as Scizor. I'm considering replacing Scald with Earth Power/EQ to hit Magnezone and Jirachi harder, but I'm not sure if losing Scald is worth it. His Grass weakness is covered 4x by Dragonite, Heatran, and Ferrothorn.
front.png
Pokemon:SlowbroItem:Rocky Helmet
Ability:Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
  • Scald
  • Flamethrower
  • Ice Beam
  • Slack Off
Say hello to the Dragon Slayer. With Rocky Helmet, Slowbro can break Dragonite's Multiscale and proceed to KO with Ice Beam. Slowbro is my go-to Physical wall, while also having nice offensive prowess. I use Slowbro to check many Fighting types such as Conkeldurr, Lucario, Terrakion, etc, in addition to other Physical threats like Metagross and Landorus. I have Flamethrower to make up for replacing Gliscor by killing Scizor. His weaknesses to Bug, Dark, Electric, and Grass are covered by Heatran, Gastrodon, Ferrothorn, and Dragonite.
front.png
Pokemon:DragoniteItem:Lum Berry
Ability:Multiscale
EVs: 252 HP / 44 Atk / 212 Spd
Nature:AdamantMoves:
  • Dragon Dance
  • Dragon Claw
  • Earthquake
  • Roost
I got tired of being trolled by Sun teams with Ground coverage moves. I was recommended to switch Gengar for Dragonite. Now that I run Heatran, the only things Gengar was contributing were spin-blocking and checking SubPunch Toxicroak. I felt that having a better check against Sun teams was worth it, so Dragonite was added. I'm unsure of what set to use and would appreciate feedback. For now, I'm going with Bulky DD because of personal preference. I've decided to use bulky EVs to wall Volcarona/Ninetales/Venusaur longer and still be able to sweep. I'm going with EQ over Fire Punch because Skarmory/Bronzong/Ferrothorn are easier to take care of than Heatran for my team, not to mention that I don't have max Attack Outrage. I also have Lum to save sweeps, but might use Lefties. His Ice and Dragon weaknesses are covered by Heatran, Slowbro, and Ferrothorn.
front.png
Pokemon:SpiritombItem:Leftovers
Ability:Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
  • Will-O-Wisp
  • Pain Split
  • Shadow Ball
  • Hidden Power [Fighting]
Spiritomb is an interesting Pokemon. I primarily use him to check Toxicroak and Scrafty while trolling Reuniclus all day. Spiritomb also helps me keep SR up by spin-blocking. I'd liken Spiritomb to Reuniclus. The two have the same bulk, iirc. The pros of Reuniclus are CM, Recover, and Magic Guard. Meanwhile, the pros of Spiritomb are better Defensive and Offensive typing in addition to WOW. I run just enough IVs to be slower than Conkeldurr and still have 70 BP HP Fighting.
Threat List
  • [sprite]186[/sprite]Specs Politoed can be an issue with its coverage, but I can play around it and defeat it with Ferrothorn/Gastrodon/Dragonite.

Just a minor nitpick-- if you're running gyro ball on ferro you should probably switch it to a sassy nature for more power c:.

You could perhaps also consider air ballon tran?

Complexy990 said:
Just a minor nitpick-- if you're running gyro ball on ferro you should probably switch it to a sassy nature for more power c:.

You could perhaps also consider air ballon tran?

Relaxed nature is Def +, Speed -.

Cinesra said:
My Skarmory is female in case my opponent tries to catch me off-guard by running Rivalry Haxorus.

Why would Haxorus run Rivalry? Being able to hit through abilities is far superior for it. It allows it to KO the Rotom Formes with Earthquake which means it won't be locked into Outrage to become bait for Ferrothorn and Skarmory. Jirachi could easily paralyze it with a 60% probably if it uses Body Slam or 100% if it has Thunder Wave.

I don't know how well this would work out, but you could try running Dragonite over Gengar. It compliments very well with Heatran resisting many types of moves and two immunities. Gastrodon can easily cover Gliscor along with Starmie. Heatran can destroy Skarmory that opposing teams may have which would basically clean the field for Dragonite to sweep. Scizor does a good job of checking Latios and Latias if Dragonite was not able to get in a Dragon Dance.

Haxorus sometimes runs Rivalry for the sole purpose of breaking through Skarmory. It's pretty rare now but hey, might as well take the precaution.

Pretty solid team here. There's potentially a very big weakness to HP Ground Volcarona here as it can pretty much OHKO your entire team save Gastrodon (who can't hit too heavily back), and you'll have to play very cautiously in keeping Stealth Rock up so Gastrodon can win. I can't really recommend too much outside of "play cautiously", but you might want to add Quick Attack over Pursuit on Scizor to add as a further check.

Cool team man.

King Arceus said:
Relaxed nature is Def +, Speed -.

Why would Haxorus run Rivalry? Being able to hit through abilities is far superior for it. It allows it to KO the Rotom Formes with Earthquake which means it won't be locked into Outrage to become bait for Ferrothorn and Skarmory. Jirachi could easily paralyze it with a 60% probably if it uses Body Slam or 100% if it has Thunder Wave.

I don't know how well this would work out, but you could try running Dragonite over Gengar. It compliments very well with Heatran resisting many types of moves and two immunities. Gastrodon can easily cover Gliscor along with Starmie. Heatran can destroy Skarmory that opposing teams may have which would basically clean the field for Dragonite to sweep. Scizor does a good job of checking Latios and Latias if Dragonite was not able to get in a Dragon Dance.

Dragonite sounds nice, but it leaves me open to Ice Punch Toxicroak and gets rid of my pseudo-spin-blocker. However, this would help my issue with Sun teams, so I'll consider it. Thanks.

bacon said:
Haxorus sometimes runs Rivalry for the sole purpose of breaking through Skarmory. It's pretty rare now but hey, might as well take the precaution.

Pretty solid team here. There's potentially a very big weakness to HP Ground Volcarona here as it can pretty much OHKO your entire team save Gastrodon (who can't hit too heavily back), and you'll have to play very cautiously in keeping Stealth Rock up so Gastrodon can win. I can't really recommend too much outside of "play cautiously", but you might want to add Quick Attack over Pursuit on Scizor to add as a further check.

Cool team man.

That's a good enough reason for me to use Quick Attack, thanks.

Thanks guys, I appreciate people finally postingthe help.

Lookin pretty good, only two possible suggestions I have.

Although it may seem weird, if you find yourself losing to Volcarona a lot, you can put Waterfall on Gastrodon. It unfortunately is not very powerful against anything else, but I'm pretty sure it OHKO's standard Volcarona when not in the sun. Check with DV on that, I'm pretty sure he uses Waterfall on his Gastro.

Second, ScarfTran. I suggest putting Fire Blast over Overheat because what I found when I use ScarfTran (on every one of my teams lol) is that you are normally going to find yourself wanting to fire off an extra attack then needing more power. You might also want to consider HP grass for the purpose of luring and murdering Rotom-W and opposing Gastrodon, but if Volcarona is really that much of a problem then it's probably better to keep HP rock.

Seriously checked this thread out expecting advertising and was going to close it.

However, I do like the way that you went through the process of how you selected your team. I like to read those kind of threads even though I don't understand the VCG at all haha.

Blah237 said:
Lookin pretty good, only two possible suggestions I have.

Although it may seem weird, if you find yourself losing to Volcarona a lot, you can put Waterfall on Gastrodon. It unfortunately is not very powerful against anything else, but I'm pretty sure it OHKO's standard Volcarona when not in the sun. Check with DV on that, I'm pretty sure he uses Waterfall on his Gastro.

Second, ScarfTran. I suggest putting Fire Blast over Overheat because what I found when I use ScarfTran (on every one of my teams lol) is that you are normally going to find yourself wanting to fire off an extra attack then needing more power. You might also want to consider HP grass for the purpose of luring and murdering Rotom-W and opposing Gastrodon, but if Volcarona is really that much of a problem then it's probably better to keep HP rock.
Waterfall does decent damage outside of Sun, but I don't have a way of changing weather, so I'd rather keep Scald. The drop in power against everything else and lack of burning aren't worth it, IMO. I have noticed that Overheat leaves me as set-up bait, so I'm going to use Fire Blast now, thanks.
ESP said:
Seriously checked this thread out expecting advertising and was going to close it.

However, I do like the way that you went through the process of how you selected your team. I like to read those kind of threads even though I don't understand the VG at all haha.
LOL, that was the point of using the new name. Thanks, but I've seen far more in depth team-building processes.

Now that I'm probably going to use Dragonite over Gengar, I'm unsure of what set I should run. I don't know if I want an offensive or defensive set, but I'm mostly unsure about whether or not to run Roost. Since I don't have a Spinner or weather changer, I'm not going to worry about Multiscale, but lack of a Spinner is probably all the more reason to run Roost. I'd appreciate input on this.

I have been considering running T-Wave over Gyro Ball, but I'm pretty iffy about it. T-Wave lets me spread status around; slowing down and sometimes stopping my opponent from moving. Gyro Ball lets me hit fast, boosted Pokemon harder than Power Whip; like Dragons after a Dragon Dance.

I would support this change because it can take some pressure off of other members of your team since you can paralyze Latios that doesn't run HP Fire. Gyarados appears to be quite a threat after looking at your team. The ones that run Taunt won't get burned by Spiritomb. By having Thunder Wave, you can make sure you still get the jump on Gyarados.

Scald is my STAB move and like its Fire type counterpart, Lava Plume, is nice for spreading Burns around. This is especially useful against Pokemon that would like to hit Gastrodon on his weaker Defense stat, such as Scizor. I'm considering replacing Scald with Earth Power/EQ to hit Magnezone and Jirachi harder, but I'm not sure if losing Scald is worth it. His Grass weakness is covered 4x by Dragonite, Heatran, and Ferrothorn.

Jirachi that are physical get crippled very well by Scald's 30% burn ratio. Just having that good of a burn ratio is really too much to give up considering you could end up hitting a switch-in with a burn before it even gets to do anything.

I can't think of anything major that you outpace by having Heatran be Timid as opposed to Modest. Modest hits 379 Speed which is still faster than Alakazam and less importantly, Starmie. This will give you the additional power it needs.

King Arceus said:
I would support this change because it can take some pressure off of other members of your team since you can paralyze Latios that doesn't run HP Fire. Gyarados appears to be quite a threat after looking at your team. The ones that run Taunt won't get burned by Spiritomb. By having Thunder Wave, you can make sure you still get the jump on Gyarados.
I've kept Gyro Ball in case of SubDD Kingdra and Restalk Gyarados, but I'll consider changing it for T-Wave.
I can't think of anything major that you outpace by having Heatran be Timid as opposed to Modest. Modest hits 379 Speed which is still faster than Alakazam and less importantly, Starmie. This will give you the additional power it needs.
Yeah, the extra power is probably worth not outspeeding Weavile and Jolteon. I'll change that, thanks.

Landorus looks like it could be a big problem, because your best switchin, Gliscor, gets impounded by HP Ice.

To fix this, I suggest running standard Slowbro instead of Gliscor. It checks all the same fighting-types as Gliscor, while also checking Dragonite and other Dragons with Ice Beam and Conkeldurr with Psychic.

I'd been using Heatran to outspeed and KO with Fire Blast, but Slowbro's a much better idea. I'm going to be using the dragon-slayer set. Thanks, updated OP. I apreciate the help, guys.

Back