BW/BW2 Did Game Freak really run out of ideas for Gen 5?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, really, why don't you try to create 649 Pokemon and see how they turn out. Then you can judge the people who put alot of time into creating them.

The 5th generation isn't as fresh as some of you are making out. Tadpole line? Dream eating tapirs? A Fire/Fighting starter? Give me a break, there's no denying that plenty of concepts have shamelessly been cloned, and when a rip-off of Luvdisc exists then you know things are bad. Some will no doubt try to defend the designs by saying that the similarities to previous generations are intentional, but what possible motive could be behind that intention? Older players feel ripped off, newer players aren't as familiar with the first few generations anyway.

But I don't think Nintendo are out of ideas, not by a long shot. With 17 designers working on this it's hard to think that they could be, and there are quite a few great designs in the 5th generation such as Ranculus and Wargle. But as evidenced by the merciless rehashing of older designs, as well as plenty of new clones (6 monkeys? A secondary legendary trio all with the same sprite pose...?), the laziness of the developing team is all too apparent. But hey, Pokemon is a large franchise and will always make huge amounts of money no matter what, so there's no pressure for them as people are always going to buy the games no matter how hard (or otherwise) they work on the Pokemon designs.

I'm really disappointed whenever pokemon fans become Nintendo sheep and stop questioning the quality of the artworks. As someone who enjoys artwork other than just anime, I will not stop judging nintendo's creations just because it has a pokemon label on it. Why should I stop "judging" pieces of art because a lot of designers (not geniuses) made hundreds of them and were paid for it? It's like telling people to stop criticizing Macs or PC's just because the companies make millions of dollars. How do they know to improve their products/designs when their shortcomings are not called out? Seriously, some of you are sheep. I like most of the designs, but when I come across just one thing I don't like, I will be honest about it.

Just want to add that I'm not criticizing for the sake of hating on something new. However, a few of the designs, I believe, truly deserve some thumbs-downs, like the three I mentioned in the above post.

I really thought the sprites looked a little, "plain." I also HATED the fact that they didn't change the sprites from previous generations, so that means Pokemon like Rayzuaza and Sceptile have and will only have TWO sprites until further notice.

To be honest, I really liked the designs of the 5th gen. Yeah there are some that really made me disappointed like that ugly Dark/Fighting lizard line. (I normally don't call people out but the person that made that should be a shame and yes I feel that I can make a much better one.) The flying trios' sprites could of been make better and at least different. Everything else was good. (yes even the trash bag and ice cream pokemon!)

bacon said:
there's no denying that plenty of concepts have shamelessly been cloned

I don't mind that. I don't see it as a bad thing because my own likes and dislikes are based more around artistic taste ratherthan sheer originality. For instance I like skitty. Now chrononeko is like skitty + stunky + glameow fusion, but I still like choroneko as well. And designs like chandera or gear I don't like, because I've always disliked designs based on material objects.

I really like the 5th gen....but I'm not a sheep.

They're weren't many pokemon in the 4th gen I cared for apart from maybe Roserade, Chatot and maybe one or two others. The 5th gen though I'm liking the designs a lot more....I suppose they just hit a chord somewhere.

The only 5th gen pokemon that I don't really like/get is the 1st evo of the tadpole and the Steel/Fighting Legendary. Maybe it's just the sprite but it looks like a real mess. :/ The designs of the Pokabu evos are cool....but I don't like that they're Fire/Fighting again. However that really amounts to nothing when put next to the large amounts of 5th gen pokemon I really like.

Gen 4 was Gamefreak running out of ideas, Gen 5 is Gamefreak totally redeeming themselves with MANY (not ALL) fresh, original designs, and most importantly, no old Pokemon. I seriously cannot believe people are still saying Gen 5 is bad, but yet LOVED gen 4. Almost everything in Gen 4 was either based of a (cutesy) earth animal, or was simply an evo/pre evo of a past gen monster. How is that in any way original?

Gen 5 also has some horrible crap, like another fire/fighting starter and the flying trio clones.

For the record, despite loving the first gen, I've hated many designs from it since 1998, especially Jigglypuff. Every Gen had monsters I hate, but the 4th gen had the most.

But ugh, I'm sick of both sides of this ridiculous fandom. One side says "GEN 5 SUCKS THEY DON'T LOOK LIKE POKEMON GEN 1 WAS THE BEST", the other says "SHUTUP NOSTALGIA friend TRUE FANS LOVE ALL POKEMON GEN 1 SUCKS". I think both of these groups need to STFU, and let people like what they like and hate what they hate in peace. However, the "they don't look like Pokemon" comments need to stop, because it is invalid.

And that deviantart picture linked to in here is stupid, mainly the Gyarados and Rhyhorn comments. I especially hate that "overdesign" BS. These people need to shutup just as much as the Gen 5 haters. It's like honestly, now it's the "in thing" to hate Gen 1, purely because of the Gen 5 hate.

Kay, now this is coming from a self-admitted Generation 1 fanboy here: I love the 5th Gen.

The designs are fresh, and I can see why they would make designs reminiscent of older Pokemon. It's to keep the games new but familiar for older fans, while all of the new Pokemon that are unique are absolutely fantastic. Plus, the designs here feel like a perfect marriage between the design process of the Gen 1 mons and the Gen 3 mons. They retain that new look and feel, yet had many of the same principles behind the old Pokemon(such as growing multiple heads, somewhat more natural-ish look than 3 and 4, etc). I dunno, I just feel these Pokemon are among the best we've had in far too long.

I WILL criticize GF for the sprites lacking shading though. I can understand them, but at the same time there's not much of an excuse.

Okay, First I ask all the poeple that like Pokmeon in my year and they say " They look like past Pokemon" (Seriously? How does Mijumaru's Final Evo look like Entei) and tell me IM blind for thinking they are not.
Personally I think they look as new as can be, probably even better, GF didn't run out of ideas, they decided to save the best for last (so far, hoping for better ones...)

I don't think GF ran out of ideas. There's still a lot of ideas they can use, they just didn't make B/W.

Not really. There were somee very original designs in this generation, such as Reshiram and Zekrom, and other new, good ideas, e.g. the hydra, the lampray, that had never been done before. The Choroneko and like, based of types of animal done before remain fresh and new. There are so many different Pokemon Gamefreak could make, armadillos, koalas, so many animals to be done. And each Pokemon thats based off the same or similar animal to another Pokemon still brings a new aspect to that species.

So no, I don't think Gamefreak are scraping the barrel for ideas.

Frankly I still wonder why we haven't had a dolphin pokemon. Or a tiger. I'd love to have a tiger.

I'm sick of people saying "omgomg there already is a heart-shaped pokemon" or "wow. another bull pokemon?" The creators of game freak, made Isshu so that no other pokemon would exist. People have to picture this region, as the first pokemon region ever. This is a new beginning. But people just lack grasping that.

Yes. They have. But they should do more. I never run out of ideas. Today I drew a

Armoured Seal
Floating Totem Pole
A Bear crossed with a pebble
^^ Evo
^ Evo
A tiger, strangely
A dog
A evolution of Lickitung

And I'm still going. If they have run out of ideas, ask people what they want to see. That ought to do it.

It's not that GF themselves are running out of ideas, the development team of pokemon change every generation, and each of them created around ten pokemon, as was revealed in the interview on this site. So it's about the new developers being bad at designing initially, it also seems like an incredibly terrible idea to change the development team every generation, idk what about that would seem like the right thing to do.

Isshu is across the ocean.

Just as America has animals that are similar to some in Japan they're also completely different in ways.
That's the concept behind the re-hashes.

Although I do agree they should stop using new designers each generation. The designs are starting to vary waaaay too much for my own tastes despite me liking a whole bunch of Gen 5 mons.

people need to realize this generation was MEANT to provide nostalgia and be references to old ones.the mushroom pokeball this gen was meant to do the same as voltorb.it was going for a nostalgia theme,thats why.next generation will hopefully be completely new pokes and will be great.this generation isnt bad,in my opinion it is the best,and people need to accept the fact it happened,and move on.if you dont like it,dont buy it,simple as that.soon we will all have a ruby-saphire-emerald- remake to be happy about

They just probably did run out of ideas. This is what I am thinking of right now. Some of the Pokemon designs just don't really "fit" the Pokemon Category and they just seem that they were rushed on just to be in the games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back