Ruling Dice Questions

cappuccino

Aspiring Trainer
Regular dice people use are the usual 6-sided and the chessex dice which have 20 sides. I have a 10-sided dice and it seems that everyone never want me to use that dice. Maybe because it isn't official or of some weird reason. Any clue? Am I actually allowed to use my dice?

It's up to the event's Head Judge what randomizers to allow. Coins are the only thing always legal per the rulebook.

As a side note, at Nationals last year, a high roll for going first wasn't allowed. You had to call it like a coin flip, just like the rulebook says to start the game.

Kaga, coins aren't allowed anywhere anymore, as far as I know. This is because it's very easy to manipulate a coin flip. I can flip heads with a coin 99% of the time.

6-sided dice provided by the TO are prolly the best bet.

Lou Cypher said:
Kaga, coins aren't allowed anywhere anymore, as far as I know.

Uh.....no. Check the tournament rules. Also:

http://pokegym.net/forums/showthread.php?t=60303
http://pokegym.net/forums/showthread.php?t=68533

And if you happen to be a Professor:

http://forums.pokemon-tcg.com/showthread.php?t=2464

This isn't something left up to the TO/HJ's discretion. Coins are always legal. If they want to allow dice, fine, but they can't ban coins.

as long as their coins from the ruby saphhire on decks i think. and can you take a picture of the die. ive never seen a 10 sided die and it mighjt let me see why people dont want you using it

Kaga: they are changing things for this year also. I was told at states this weekend that starting at regionals, high rolls are no longer allowed. one person rolls the dice, and the other calls heads or tails. If whatever they call is right, they go first. I'm so used to just doing high roll. Not sure If I'm gonna like that, or even remember it well. Old habits die hard.

Well well well, that would be interesting. Guess I'll have to exploit my mad coin-flipping skills now to convince them to NOT do that. Around here, we get issued an official dice (pschyeahright) to do all our rolls/flips with.

I wonder if they'll still allow coins if someone flips heads 20 times with Exeggutor ftw.

They can issue official dice if they want (they did at Nationals). But they can't ban coins if someone wants to use one instead of the dice.

However, they can watch and make sure you're actually flipping the coin right.

Ok, then. Well, I'm going to use my dice anyways. Though I've managed to manipulate my dice, too. 10-sided dice always have head and tails on different sides so if you spin it with head on top, you're sure to get heads. Never fails. Heck, it doesn't just work on coins.

LC: Use eggs. And hope I'll never meet you.

well from what i have heard you are only aloud to use a 6 sided dice or a dice provided by the head judge.

Chairman Kaga said:
It's up to the event's Head Judge what randomizers to allow. Coins are the only thing always legal per the rulebook.

As a side note, at Nationals last year, a high roll for going first wasn't allowed. You had to call it like a coin flip, just like the rulebook says to start the game.

at the `06 nats i asked the head lady whatsitsthingy and she said that the plastic coins that come with the decks cant be used but currency from the country you are in can be used as well as dice

Lou Cypher said:
Kaga, coins aren't allowed anywhere anymore, as far as I know. This is because it's very easy to manipulate a coin flip. I can flip heads with a coin 99% of the time.

6-sided dice provided by the TO are prolly the best bet.

You can also use your coin flipper in your D/P Poketch APP for a fair flip and that will eliminate any cheating that goes on.:)

Make sure your battery is fully charged and your DS is set on the lowest brightness setting if it is allowed. A fully charged battery on the lowest brightness setting will last about 15 to 18 hours. If your battery dies then you could be disqualified if it is allowed at tournaments.:)

We use 20/6-sided dice here, nornally, the 6 sided ones are used for damage counters, only the newb's use the coins. :F

Back