Blog "Despair Ray"-tion Tactics — Musings on Mega Gardevoir-EX for Regionals

Professor Layton,

Hey. Just wanted to say first off thanks for taking a look at this piece.

To answer your question, I'm going to be fairly honest and say that this deck depends heavily on Shaymin-EX for the draw support. It's too strong not to play.

You could play Octillery and Unown in lieu of Shaymin-EX if the cost is too much. However, the deck would not be the same. Octillery can get you some of the cards you need via its Abyssal Hand, but you would not be able to discard it for Despair Ray as you need to continuously draw cards with this deck. Unown is kind of cute as it can be a Bench Warmer to power up Despair Ray or it can be used to help you draw more cards via Farewell Letter. However, I would suggest finding a way to get those Shaymin-EX as they are a very powerful staple in these formats!

I hope I could be of assistance.

-Brandon

Professor Layton,

Hey. Just wanted to say first off thanks for taking a look at this piece.

To answer your question, I'm going to be fairly honest and say that this deck depends heavily on Shaymin-EX for the draw support. It's too strong not to play.

You could play Octillery and Unown in lieu of Shaymin-EX if the cost is too much. However, the deck would not be the same. Octillery can get you some of the cards you need via its Abyssal Hand, but you would not be able to discard it for Despair Ray as you need to continuously draw cards with this deck. Unown is kind of cute as it can be a Bench Warmer to power up Despair Ray or it can be used to help you draw more cards via Farewell Letter. However, I would suggest finding a way to get those Shaymin-EX as they are a very powerful staple in these formats!

I hope I could be of assistance.

-Brandon

I have 2 shaymin in real life, but I only collect for the physical game. unfortunately I never managed to get a shaymin online.

Unfortunate. I pulled a play set of m gardevoir and wanted to play it really badly. oh well

I have 2 shaymin in real life, but I only collect for the physical game. unfortunately I never managed to get a shaymin online.

Unfortunate. I pulled a play set of m gardevoir and wanted to play it really badly. oh well

I'm sorry to hear that. Well, I hope you can manage to get some online. You can trade packs for Shaymins.

I exclusively play Super Rod over Brock's Grit solely for the fact that it is not a Supporter Card. I did consider at a time to write and possibly discuss Brock's Grit, but I stuck with the two Super Rod as to get exactly what I want back into the deck (Dragonite-EX or Shaymin-EX). Everything else I would focus on getting with Dragonite-EX's Pull Up Ability.

I exclusively play Super Rod over Brock's Grit solely for the fact that it is not a Supporter Card. I did consider at a time to write and possibly discuss Brock's Grit, but I stuck with the two Super Rod as to get exactly what I want back into the deck (Dragonite-EX or Shaymin-EX). Everything else I would focus on getting with Dragonite-EX's Pull Up Ability.

I deleted the previous comment because of a weird quote glitch. But anyways, is it better to use Super Rod, Brock's Grit or Dragonite-EX? I feel it might be better if you could use a combination of Brock's grit and Dragonite-EX, but at the same time Super Rod also works very well.

I deleted the previous comment because of a weird quote glitch. But anyways, is it better to use Super Rod, Brock's Grit or Dragonite-EX? I feel it might be better if you could use a combination of Brock's grit and Dragonite-EX, but at the same time Super Rod also works very well.
I feel that Dragonite-EX is super necessary and that you would ideally Super Rod them back in after you use them, search them out, and use them to rebuild your board by grabbing whatever else you need from the discard (Usually Shaymin-EX, Hawlucha, or Ratatta) and then using a Supporter like Lysandre or Hex Maniac after you reset your board. Then take a necessary Knock Out or slow your opponent down significantly.

If I had to make a guess, I'd say it has something to do with everyone finding out that Rayquaza isn't as good as people hoped it would be.

You'd think it'd still be valuable due to the fact that almost everyone wants a minimum of one or two for their decks

You'd think it'd still be valuable due to the fact that almost everyone wants a minimum of one or two for their decks

You have to also remember that we got a huge rush of new players at the start of the season leaking in from the Yu-Gi-Oh circuit after the recent rotation. They ate up a lot of the Shaymin supply at first, which drove up the price a lot. Rayquaza-EX being labeled as a potential Tier 1 deck early on didn't help the supply, either. Now that the rush has died down and Rayquaza has been proven to be not as good, Shaymin-EX has gone down in price.

You have to also remember that we got a huge rush of new players at the start of the season leaking in from the Yu-Gi-Oh circuit after the recent rotation. They ate up a lot of the Shaymin supply at first, which drove up the price a lot. Rayquaza-EX being labeled as a potential Tier 1 deck early on didn't help the supply, either. Now that the rush has died down and Rayquaza has been proven to be not as good, Shaymin-EX has gone down in price.

I agree with you 100% on the price of Shaymin-EX skyrocketing and dropping. I feel that the Mega Rayquaza deck seemed to be the most comparable to Yu-Gi-Oh decks that I have seen played. It just sets up in one turn and nukes the board. I'm super happy that I was able to get my final Shaymin-EX for my playset for only $50. All the other ones that I had were bought when they were only $25 a pop. I miss those days.

It also depends where you purchase Shaymin. They hover right around 35 dollars on Ebay and have been the price since I can remember. In regards to your M Ray comments. I think M Ray is a very strong play and two cards in particular from evolutions help it a ton. Brock's Grit and Dragonite Ex. I understand the parallel city counter, but once M ray is set up, hard to beat

It also depends where you purchase Shaymin. They hover right around 35 dollars on Ebay and have been the price since I can remember. In regards to your M Ray comments. I think M Ray is a very strong play and two cards in particular from evolutions help it a ton. Brock's Grit and Dragonite Ex. I understand the parallel city counter, but once M ray is set up, hard to beat

I would agree with you if it weren't for Garbodor. Brock's Grit could probably help, but it is difficult to take advantage of Dragonite-EX when half of the meta runs some combination of Garbodor and Parallel City together.

On top of that, the legitimate versions of Shaymin-EX are still floating around in the $60 region. If you saw it for lower, it was either a new ebay seller that doesn't know his prices or some guy selling the World Championship version of the card that isn't allowed in official play.

I would agree with you if it weren't for Garbodor. Brock's Grit could probably help, but it is difficult to take advantage of Dragonite-EX when half of the meta runs some combination of Garbodor and Parallel City together.

On top of that, the legitimate versions of Shaymin-EX are still floating around in the $60 region. If you saw it for lower, it was either a new ebay seller that doesn't know his prices or some guy selling the World Championship version of the card that isn't allowed in official play.

I may have been lucky, but I see very little Garbo so far. I went back and looked at recent eBay sales and Shaymin Ex spiked about a month/ month and a half ago. Were 37.99 10/2 then bumped up to 45+ after that date. Crazy lol

Back