Discussion Decks with Potential for After Upcoming Rotation

The Light Music Club

Aspiring Trainer
What decks are looking good for next rotation? I was thinking maybe playing Raticate Break with Crobat. Raticate can break down opponents, and Crobat can attack the stragglers that retreat.

That is of course, PF isn't rotated.

Last edited:
Moved from the TCG Help & Advice as to the TCG Competitive Play as the OP is looking for speculative opinion on a future rotation, which also has discussion value better suited in the competitive forums. ~bbninjas

It's kinda hard to answer seeing as we don't know what the rotation will be. I'm guessing XY Base, Flash Fire, Phantom Forces, Furious Fists will all rotate. There is a chance that Roaring Skies will go as well. If Roaring Skies goes Shaymin goes, and the whole metagame changes and will be completely unpredictable. If Roaring skies stays we will still be loosing things like Battle compressor, Blacksmith, Korrina, Dimension Vallery, Fighting Stadium, Seismitoad and other cards that are Staple in current meta decks.

Fire, Fighting, Psychic decks will all take a massive hit potentially. So the chances are those type decks won't remain as powerful as they are now. Good chance that Vespiquen or anything similar that relies on Battle Compressors will get screwed. Although overall Grass will likely remain strong. Water will be loosing the mighty Siesmitoad so that new fancy Aquabox deck that everyone loves might not be sticking around for too long.

But of course we don't know yet wether we will be getting a reprint set like Japan does, and if we do will it make them standard legal or will it just be a way for Expanded players to stock up on stuff like the Darkrai VS Mewtwo deck box that came out but didn't count as a reprint.

Of course we don't know exactly what will be in XY 11 for us in terms of reprints, so it's possible that something might get a reprint in a japanese theme deck or other product then they have to reprint it in XY 11 so it's still in format for everyone world wide.

The short answer is nobody knows, probably not even the people at pokemon who are in charge of this decision know 100% what decks will and won't end up looking strong.

Mega Mewtwo Y with shrine of memories will be BDIF with night march gone. YZG will be very good, and Mega Alakazam/Absol might be okay.

It's kinda hard to answer seeing as we don't know what the rotation will be. I'm guessing XY Base, Flash Fire, Phantom Forces, Furious Fists will all rotate. There is a chance that Roaring Skies will go as well. If Roaring Skies goes Shaymin goes, and the whole metagame changes and will be completely unpredictable. If Roaring skies stays we will still be loosing things like Battle compressor, Blacksmith, Korrina, Dimension Vallery, Fighting Stadium, Seismitoad and other cards that are Staple in current meta decks.

Fire, Fighting, Psychic decks will all take a massive hit potentially. So the chances are those type decks won't remain as powerful as they are now. Good chance that Vespiquen or anything similar that relies on Battle Compressors will get screwed. Although overall Grass will likely remain strong. Water will be loosing the mighty Siesmitoad so that new fancy Aquabox deck that everyone loves might not be sticking around for too long.

But of course we don't know yet wether we will be getting a reprint set like Japan does, and if we do will it make them standard legal or will it just be a way for Expanded players to stock up on stuff like the Darkrai VS Mewtwo deck box that came out but didn't count as a reprint.

Of course we don't know exactly what will be in XY 11 for us in terms of reprints, so it's possible that something might get a reprint in a japanese theme deck or other product then they have to reprint it in XY 11 so it's still in format for everyone world wide.

The short answer is nobody knows, probably not even the people at pokemon who are in charge of this decision know 100% what decks will and won't end up looking strong.
I highly doubt Roating Skies will go yet. I think just the first block of the XY set will be gone.

Roaring Skies? There's Primal Clash before Roaring Skies, and a 6 sets rotation is highly improbable. They will rotate XY1, XY2, XY3 and XY4 almost surely.

What about Greninja Break? Will that still be good without the XY Greninja?

It will probably see a substantial drop in usage. Regular Water Shuriken gave it a much easier time of hitting the magic numbers to OHKO most EXs, so him leaving will make it suffer a big loss in offensive potential. If Wally ends up going as well and we end up with a BP-on format, that might kill Greninja deck use entirely.

How on Earth does this make any sense?!

I don't know. We've heard before about the Premium Champion set coming to Japan in August, and that includes stuff from XY Base up to Ancient Origins. It could be a case of the designers trying to get rid of certain elements without outright rotating a set if the Premium Champion set were to release here.

The biggest rotation ever was 8 sets, and the format was going to be terrible because of BW rules with Sableye SF.

CP5 will not be coming out in english guys. I don't know where this misconception comes from. Beedrill and Wobb BREAK have already been confirmed for english releases, I don't see how they would release CP5 as just reprints. We may get a reprint set but it will look very different from CP5 if it does come out.

If you take the average of all rotations that has happened over the years it comes to about three per year. I'm pretty positive that XY, XY-Flashfire, XY-Furious Fist will be rotated. I've talked and listened to more experience players than myself, and they are under assumption that XY- Phantom Forces and XY-Primal Clash will be rotated too. -- Or at least they are geared for it.

After rotation, my guess would be that Yveltal EX/Darkrai EX will be strong contenders.

Under that, Mega Ray Ray and Grinijia will be solid too.

I think there are other strong contenders, but that will depend on whether XY-Phantom Forces is in the mix. Without Battle Compressor, it will open the field to a different meta. A slower Meta, that will be a bit harder to play because consistency will lack. Grinija might thrive under those circumstances. I've played with BC for around 18 months. I will sorely miss the card. Without BC, a multiple of decks will be tougher to play.

Decks that rely on benched pokemon to increase damage could do well in the next meta because it will be harder to lysandre pokemon out for stall or knock out tactics. I could see a lot of decks reverting back to the old two or three lysandres in the deck to ensure they can hit. Also, I'm curious if that Psycic reading card will see play in the new meta just for thinning purposes.

Last edited:
Usually for rotations they try to sync it with the games, don't they? As in there was a DP-on format, (No Pt-on because of the emergency rotation due to Sableye+BW rules), HGSS-on, BW-on, BCR-on (which is basically the BW2 set), XY-on. So I'd expect the format to be one that matches with ORAS, i.e. PRC-on.

If Wally ends up going as well and we end up with a BP-on format, that might kill Greninja deck use entirely.
Wally? It was reprinted in Generations, we will have Wally around for a long time. Greninja will be good even after the rotation, some decklists do not use XY Greninja at all and this deck is still freaking powerful.

The rotation will almost surely be PRC-on.

Wally? It was reprinted in Generations, we will have Wally around for a long time. Greninja will be good even after the rotation, some decklists do not use XY Greninja at all and this deck is still freaking powerful.

TPCi knows we would try to kill them if Shaymin got rotated. I refuse to believe anything other than at the very least it will be PHF-on. no questions asked.

TPCi knows we would try to kill them if Shaymin got rotated. I refuse to believe anything other than at the very least it will be PHF-on. no questions asked.
People will kill TPCi if they will let Night March stay in format... PRC-on ;)

Here are my thoughts on the types and archetypes assuming a PRC-on format:
  • Fairy is severely limited by the loss of aromatisse. The shiny mega gardevoir will be the fairy of choice.
  • Fire slows down considerably with loss of blacksmith. Baby volcanion is a better baby Yveltal though.
  • Fighting will lose furious fists, carbink break counts will rise out of necessity.
  • Grass is still strong. Vespiquen loses battle compressor.
  • Water is still strong. Only loss is toad.
  • Electric converts to magnezone losing mega manectric.
  • Dark loses battle compressor, which means Maxie is difficult.
  • Colorless has mega rayquaza.
  • Metal loses bronzong support for bulky attack costs and aegislash ex which stops discouraging special energy usage.
  • Dragon loses aromatisse, bronzong, hydreigon stage 2
  • Psychic loses dimension valley, mystery energy, trevenant xy
  • Greninja, mega rayquaza, zoroark break, mega mewtwo y exist in a slower format.

Oh yeah...it was reprinted in Generations, wasn't it? How could I forget?

...Next year is going to be a long year, isn't it?

Back