Decks at Regionals

Pokewiz1999

Aspiring Trainer
OK so my next tournament in my area is going to be Regionals (Yeah really...) and I was wondering what decks you guys think will be at Regionals. I'm honestly thinking a lot of TDK, VirGen, Blastoise, and Darkrai/Garbodor. Share your thoughts!

RE: TDK Regionals

It depends on local meta (which can admittedly still be diverse at a tournament like regionals), but I wouldn't expect too much of a difference just because of the KO. People will update their decks, sure, but plasma is still a good build most won't want to discard because of it's performance at a single tournament. Also, most players probably haven't seen the KO (the finals had 1,039 viewers max, spread over the US and other countries) so there will still be plenty of plamsa floating around.

Don't take my word for it though!

RE: TDK Regionals

ImBlue said:
It depends on local meta (which can admittedly still be diverse at a tournament like regionals), but I wouldn't expect too much of a difference just because of the KO. People will update their decks, sure, but plasma is still a good build most won't want to discard because of it's performance at a single tournament. Also, most players probably haven't seen the KO (the finals had 1,039 viewers max, spread over the US and other countries) so there will still be plenty of plamsa floating around.

Don't take my word for it though!

What you say actually makes a lot of sense... Thank you! :D

grantm1999 said:
The three you mentioned will be good and prominent, but don't forget about Blastoise and Trubbish!

I don't know if there's going to be a WHOLE lot of Blastoise and I don't honestly think there will be very much Trubbish. I know one of my friends will probably play Blastoise but I need to help him make a better list.

Bringing up Blastoise is really interesting to me; does anyone know how common Blastoise decks with appropriate numbers of Tropical Beach are? It's an expensive card, and I'd feel like most wouldn't be able to afford or find one (and especially not 3-4), which would greatly hinder Blastoises ability to consistently set up. But as I haven't been to a major tournament yet myself, I'm not sure what to expect with regards to these kinds of things.

Look out for a lot of Plasma, Blastoise, and Darkrai/Garbodor. These will most likely be the most popular. Then you have straight Darkrai, VirGen, and maybe some Trubbish to round out the meta. This may change for your location, but this shoud be the basics

ImBlue said:
Bringing up Blastoise is really interesting to me; does anyone know how common Blastoise decks with appropriate numbers of Tropical Beach are? It's an expensive card, and I'd feel like most wouldn't be able to afford or find one (and especially not 3-4), which would greatly hinder Blastoises ability to consistently set up. But as I haven't been to a major tournament yet myself, I'm not sure what to expect with regards to these kinds of things.

I've seen at least a couple people play Beach at Nats. You don't really NEED Tropical Beach but it does help. I imagine there will be a few Blastoise decks.

wrags23 said:
Look out for a lot of Plasma, Blastoise, and Darkrai/Garbodor. These will most likely be the most popular. Then you have straight Darkrai, VirGen, and maybe some Trubbish to round out the meta. This may change for your location, but this shoud be the basics

I'm thinking there will be quite a bit of VirGen, Plasma, and Darkrai/Garbodor (This needs a creative name). Not sure about straight Darkrai or Trubbish.

I'm guessing Plasma, Darkrai/Garbodor, Blastoise, and VirGen will bemost popular in that order.

We'll see a couple Trubbish, Zebstrika/Garbodor, Darkrai without Garbodor, FluffyChomp, etc. here or there, but they're probably not going to be winning any Regionals.

scizorlicious said:
I'm guessing Plasma, Darkrai/Garbodor, Blastoise, and VirGen will bemost popular in that order.

We'll see a couple Trubbish, Zebstrika/Garbodor, Darkrai without Garbodor, FluffyChomp, etc. here or there, but they're probably not going to be winning any Regionals.

The first three I can see but I can't imagine anyone running FluffyChomp... It was just such a flop when it was released.

It was only really a flop because a number of people expected it to be tier 1. It's not a terrible deck and there are still some people who stick by it. With a solid build, it can do okay, just like Trubbish or Zebstrika/Garbodor.

scizorlicious said:
It was only really a flop because a number of people expected it to be tier 1. It's not a terrible deck and there are still some people who stick by it. With a solid build, it can do okay, just like Trubbish or Zebstrika/Garbodor.

Hmm... Good point. My friend used to play it but he doesn't really now.

I agree with most of the posts here, But I think Blastoise will still make a good showing at regionals and I'm sure there will be more then a few players that decide to play it with or without beaches.

Cortel II said:
I agree with most of the posts here, But I think Blastoise will still make a good showing at regionals and I'm sure there will be more then a few players that decide to play it with or without beaches.

Yeah Blastoise is still probably gonna be really popular... Thanks for the input everyone!

In my area you see tons of darkrai/absol, a few TDK, and maby 1 vir.gen. Its pretty popular at my leagues to play rogue.

JD.

Back