Decking Out

ldefoor

Aspiring Trainer
Hey everyone,

I am fairly new to the Pokémon scene. I go to leagues and tournaments several times a week to learn more and more.

What I see as a common theme all around town is that everyone focuses on taking the 6 prize cards.

I wanted to try something different and wanted to try and build a deck around decking the opponent.

I have looked through a lot of cards, obviously not all, but can't seem to find a good set of cards to build on to get this done.

Does anyone have any suggestions on great cards too start this strategy?

Thanks in advance.

RE: Decking oppon.

On the standard format I don't think there is any consistent way of decking your opponent out.
But if you want to play on the extended format there are 2 main cards (usually played on different decks) that can help you achieve this.

The first is Durant from Noble Victories.

Its first attack, for one Metal energy has the following effect: "For each of your Durant in play, discard the top card of your opponent's deck."
You would try to get 4 durants in play, and use revives to keep them on field and take 4 cards per turn. (Also its advised to run forms of disrupting your opponents setup like Crushing Hammer, Enchanced Hammer and Life Dew)

The other is Aggron from Dragons Exalted who has the ability "Toppling Wind" which reads: "When you play this Pokémon from your hand to evolve 1 of your Pokémon, you may discard the top 3 cards of your opponent's deck.".
On this deck you would play Devolution Spray to try to keep evolving and un-evolving Aggron and discarding 3 cards each time, you would play with the help of Sableye from Dark Explorers and its amazing Junk Hunt attack to keep getting Devolution Spray back from the discard pile and also use Life Dew to deny prized to your opponent.

There's also a not so common way to deck your opponent out with Swoobat from Boundaries Crossed. Its first attack, Jet Woofer, costs one Psychic Energy and reads as following: "For each Psychic Energy attached to this Pokémon, discard the top card of you opponent's deck."
You would play Swoobat with Gardevoir from Next Destinies who has the ability Psychic Mirage. "Each basic "Psychic Energy" attached to your Psychic Pokémon provides "2 Psychic Energy". You can't apply more than 1 Psychic Mirage Ability at a time.". This way you would get double the power on your Jet Woofer.

RE: Decking oppon.

Even in Extended, a single Lysandre's Last Resort sets the mill deck back so many turns I don't think that mill decks will ever be even semi-viable ever again. Enjoy it while you can, because once that card hits English-speaking shores, mill is dead forever.

Well there are 2 options to use. One is Malamar from XY (seen here ) used in conjuction with Victini with Victory Star (seen here). I made this deck and had some fun with it and running Red Card with Trick Shovel worked wonders as well. Crushing Hammer and Team Flare Grunt are some nice additions as well to help slow them down. Victini's ability also makes the opponent reflip if you want them to.

As for backups I ran a Garbodor varient, Yveltal and EX variant, then even tried Diggersby to abuse Pick Up but I also used Dig because with Victini I could get heads more making it even harder for them to hurt me.

Durant from Flashfire is the other option. You get to dicard them down to 4 cards every turn and with more people holding 5+ cards every turn it works but that leaves them with cards where as Malamar can actually empty their hand.

As it has already been stated mill decks will be dead once Lysandre's Last Resort is released. I mean you run the chance of possibly making them discard it with your attack or Trick Shovel but the odds are small.

SRTspeed said:
Victini's ability also makes the opponent reflip if you want them to.

No it doesn't. Wow, it does, amazing.

PMJ said:
SRTspeed said:
Victini's ability also makes the opponent reflip if you want them to.

No it doesn't.

Yes it does. I made the deck originally without Victini until I saw the ruling. There is an official post on here as well that says it does.

You are right - I stand corrected. My apologies.

Back