Discussion Deck Ideas for Steam Seige Toxicroak

DowntownBulbasaurBrown

Aspiring Trainer
I've been trying to think of a Toxicroak deck. Obviously it will work extremely well with Ariados. I may even throw Machamp EX in there. I don't know what else to put in there though, if anything. Any ideas?

Combining it with Flash Fire Dragalge might be a decent idea with Ariados. Inability to switch + poisoning from the Bench could work, but the issue right now is that A. Zoroark exists as a Keldeo stand in and B. Switch cards. It'd need some *serious* lockdown to work.

Well keep in mind that rotation doesn't happen until September, so there is a month where the combo is in standard.

I think Toxicroaks biggest detriment is Hex Maniac though. Maybe in a year or so we can see it shine if AOR rotates out.

While an interesting stall, toxicroak doesn't seem like it does enough damage to be generally useful. Machamp EX and Sceptile EX seem far better for exploiting Ariados' ability, maybe with a 2-2 line of toxicroak just to stall in case of emergency, though that's 4 pretty valuable spots to take off just to turtle away on the bench. I think I'd probably rather a carbink FAC for stalling against EXes, to be honest.

Hmm. If you don't have a specific Stadium already in mind, try running Shrine of Memories. It gives you access to Poison Up even as a Toxicroak. Chaos Tower might work better, but I think SoM might be worth it as a tech choice.

Personally, I've been testing it in Expanded. I use Zygarde/Landorus to attack for the first turn or two, then Ninja Boy out the EX, put in Croagunk, and immediately evolve into Toxicroak. Also in Expanded, you get Laser and Virbank, which allows you to hit for 100(Attack(50)+LaserBank(30)+Muscle Band(20)=100) before Strong Energy. The problem I've seen is that Darkrai DEX and Keldeo cripple this deck, unless you can knock them out. Pretty much every deck runs one of the two.
In Standard, with Zygarde/Ninja Boy and Ariados/Chaos Tower or Zoroark or Whatever could see some results. From my testing, I've seen a lot of people dropping Hex Maniac recently in favor of Pokemon Ranger(I really don't know why but oh well). This is one of those decks that can't become the best because it's easy to counter. Personally, I think that it's overhyped.

Back