Deck Discussion #14: Absol G variants

How good you do think Absol is?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Blue Thunder

so long!
Eh, from now, I am NOT posting a date for these. As you can see I am consistently late on these, (mainly due to being apart from the internet as a whole) so why waste my breath?

Anyway, I received NO votes, so it's my pick this time. >=] I'm picking one of my favorite cards from SV (even though it probably won't be the best), which is Absol G. Since Absol G can have various partners, I am simply leaving it as "Absol G variants".

And before we start, I would like to remind everyone to send in their votes! No votes = my pick again, and I know you all don't want that to happen. Enough chit-chat, and onto the deck:

Absol G decks are mainly built around the Level X's Poke-Power, Darkness Send. This Power allows you to flip 3 coins upon its coming into play, and for each heads, you get to send the top card of your opponent's deck into the Lost Zone. Sure, it might be flippy, but with some luck you might send a crucial card to the Lost Zone.

Outside of the disruption part of Absol, Absol variants split into two types. Those who use Absol to attack, and those who mainly use Absol for its disruptive Power. Absol can hit for 60 or 70 (70 with the aid of Special Darkness Energy) for 1 energy and an Energy Gain (Platinum) attached, (at the cost of one card from your hand) making it a speedy but not hard-hitting attacker. Attacking Absol variants may also use Doom News and Feint Attack, but these aren't typically used unless you can ensure a KO with them.

Disruption Absol is usually played with other deck-disrupting cards, allowing your opponent's to deck much sooner than usual, giving you the win. Cards that can do this are Rhyperior (DP) and Flygon LV. X. (RR)

OK, now that I have given a brief description on the deck....

...discuss! =D (And send in your votes this time ;])

Having played with an Absol G variant for a bit of time, my main complaint is that, as an attacker, it just doesn't have enough damage output. Sure, if you can get Absol G out quickly, you can disrupt their setup and potentially donk a low-HP starter, but once the big guys come out, you're pretty much stuck. IE, Speedrill with Shaymin Lv. X, it'll take 3 turns to KO Beedrill while Beedrill can always come off with a 1-2 hit KO. Machamp screws you over with weakness AND Take Out. And it's just plain difficult to knock out the bulkier Stage 2's. And while there's always Poke Turn for healing as well as reactivating darkness send, it sort of just delays the inevitable if they're already set up.

Darkness Send is a nice power, though; I once managed to send 2 Beedrill out of a Speedrill deck into the Lost Zone. Otherwise though I never found myself discarding anything too notable; maybe I was just unlucky. It's also a nice counter to Gengar variants, though from the metagame perspective, well, it's one deck out of the whole metagame. And I've never used it solely as a disruptor, which I'm sure could be interesting.

Absol could/should be run with Chatot G, to make sure good cards are put at the top to get lost zoned. Otherwise, I find this card weak and pitiful. I mean honestly, 100 hp on the X? Mankey one shots it. I mean honestly...

chatot g is much too slow to use with absol. it's about using darkness send as many times as possible before your opponent gets set up, which often means leveling up twice per turn while you try to gut their deck. i enjoy absol but the flippy nature of its power will always limit its success.

if your trying to deck them out, i would just go 4-4-4 ryperior DP, with 3 BTS and 4 SSU, its the same power except without the flip, and it can be faster to reuse

this gives, if you get 2 heads for SSU, 6 uses of 3 discarding, which is a total of 18, and if you decide to combo it with Absol, you can get alot of discarding and lost-zoning

The best varient I've seen is Absol and Luxray. Chatot with Absol is a terrible combo as it's far too luck reliant and wastes bench space. Even still, some varients are pretty decent in the format. Not the best but still good.

dmaster out.

Absol/Blazeiken is also worthy of note; Luring Flame Claydol leaving it burned so it can't Cosmic then pwn it next turn. Absol and Luxray are so similar as far as attacking goes (assuming Absol has a Sp. Dark), but Absol is superior, though Luxray is overall superior to Blaze. A single Dusknoir FB can also be okay late-game, depending on how teched the list is and how many Crobats you run.

I'd say it will be a Tier 1.5-2 deck, but it's not going to be anything amazing - sort of like Gallade.

^gallade was so amazing :0. i'm liking absol. the power sucks. in league games i don't even use it. it's jsut a terrible thing, that should only be used when your messing around. never build a strategy around it unless you want to lose. absols power is in the X's attack. 60 (70) for 1 us awesome. with pretty much no drawback. 2KO anything GOOD in the meta, awesome.

absol also has great donk capabilities. T1 20 damage, SP dark, crobats, turns and others. out of the 10-11 times i've played with this i've gotten 3 donks. pretty good for not a donk strategy. it all depends on what you run with it. flygon and machamp are going to be hard, but not impossible. machamp is owned by uxie psychic restore sending a G'd crobat up.

end rant./

Yeah, but 100 HP means it will often get OHKO'd by Infernape, Flygon, Beedrill and Palkia (spread then Hydro Shot) late-game. It's not a huge difference from most of the meta, but it's still significant. Notably, Absol can't do much without the X considering they can retreat out of Doom News. That means it has a pretty good chance at losing to Flygon and if you can't get the X back from the discard it becomes a problem. It's a good card and solid deck choice, but it's not quite Tier 1. There are just better options around.

yeah. without the X absol is trash. which is why it needs a good partner to do stuff. or you have to rush your opponent and build up absols in play for constant attacking. absol can play mewtwo X as well... it's not that energy tight.

I like absol with luxray and honchkrow, and obviously uxie lv x + lucario gl.

I think you could also run mewtwo lv x as a counter against mewtwo lv x, and other sp decks
ninetails is also a good option, helps with flygon AND machamp and even T-Tar :p

in my area flygon is extremely popular so it may not be good in my area. but elsewhere, it has potential.

As long as the deck runs techs for its bad match-ups (like Uxie X for Machamp and Ditto for Flygon) I can see it nabbing a few BRs. However, the deck lacks the pure power to become a top force in the meta-game, hence why I think it will be Tier 2.

If only there was a VERY good Absol Partner, I could see the deck performing well. It would be one who could hit harder than Absol, and also goes along with Absol's disruption theme. Also, it would have to help its bad match-ups, and not have a Promocroak weakness.

A reminder to everyone: Send in your votes!! I will probably post the next DD sometime mid-week, so make sure you send in your votes beforehand.

Seth1789110 said:
I mean honestly, 100 hp on the X? Mankey one shots it. I mean honestly...

Mankey one-shots Luxray, too. Luxray must be a bad card, too! /sarcasm

However, I will still agree with you that it is a bit frail. With even 10 more HP, it could survive better against the meta.

I don't see it making a name for itself this season. As the season's progress, maybe. As of now, being a Luxray clone, whose undlying basic has a better first attack and unusable secondary attack, it's not near as good. I'd much rather abuse Luxray's power.

However a deck that works with the card you discard could be good (such as using it with a Fire Pokemon, Rayquaza and Stark Mountain to get extra energy on the field). It has no outings against Machamp though (Luxray can Guard and Sunnyshore, Absol can...die) but being able to deal a perfect KO with Skutank to Gengar (1 Sp. Dark = 70 +30 +Poison = 110) is VERY appealing.

i beat 3 machamps with it yesterday in a BR (2 fun games and 1 tourny) uxie+lucario GL is really all you need. honchkrow is also a beast VS machamp. sniping off all they're claydols and baltoys while they hit for 10 damage.

I made my own Absol G variant yesterday (Absol G & Mewtwo) and its pretty good and only problem being that come late game you aren't dealing any great damage; even though 60-70 for 1 is pretty good and with a few Crobat G drops its fine also it only has 100HP which is pretty low for a SP lvX.

All you have to do is tech in a few cards to help with a couple of match-ups and its pretty decent.

elekid957 said:
^that's what I played :0 I saw your list and they're exactly the same except for 3-4 cards.

ORLY? :0

I don't see why some people aren't giving Absol G a chance, its a good card; once you look past the poor HP :p. The best way to play it IMO is in a toolbox deck to make up for its weaknesses and lack of power ever though 60-70 for 1 is pretty good, you should never base a deck around its Power as it will just fail alot more than you'd like, unless you can manage to flip 3 heads everytime, which must mean you're hacking hack life somehow :p

Back