Discussion Decidueye-GX isn't dead yet, my first LC of the season

swaginator5000

Aspiring Trainer
So as the title may suggest I played Decidueye-GX at a League Cup this weekend, and surprisingly played better than I ever had before at a League Cup. What was intended to be a small league cup for the weekend turned out to be huge with over 50 masters attending, including some well known players such as Caleb Gedemer. The Big Bird and I trudged through 6 matches seeking points and were successful coming in at 4-2 and squeaking into top 16 at number 15. From here on out I'll provide you with my deck list and a quick summary of each match.
List:

Pokémon - 18

* 4 Rowlet SUM 9
* 3 Dartrix SUM 10
* 4 Decidueye-GX SUM 12
* 2 Tapu Lele-GX GRI 60
* 1 Tapu Koko PR-SM SM31
* 1 Espeon-EX BKP 117
* 1 Necrozma-GX BUS 63
* 1 Alolan Vulpix GRI 21
* 1 Alolan Ninetales-GX GRI 22

Trainer Cards - 33

* 4 Professor Sycamore
* 4 N
* 3 Guzma
* 1 Skyla
* 4 Ultra Ball
* 3 Nest Ball
* 2 Timer Ball
* 3 Rare Candy
* 2 Rescue Stretcher
* 2 Field Blower
* 3 Choice Band
* 2 Float Stone

Energy - 9

* 5 Grass Energy
* 4 Double Colorless Energy

Match Summary

Round 1
Record: 0-0
vs Drampa-GX/Zygarde-EX
This was the only true non meta deck I faced the tournament and was also the most straight forward game.
I began building up my decidueyes early and never allowed a zygarde to get into play for more than a turn leaving my opponent with very little options in how to play netting me my first win.

Round 2
Record: 1-0
vs Necrozma koko spread with a spicy tec
I'd consider this a bit more of an anti meta deck looking back on it. My opponent lead with koko getting of a couple of flying flips in the early turns until about turn 5 when he successfully pulled off a black ray gx up until this point the game had been pretty close with me leading 2-4 in prizes until his spicy tech showed up...ninja boy into a trubbish that was ready to evolve into a garb and sweep the game for him. The ninja boy play completely caught me off guard so well played to my opponent.

Round 3
Record :1-1
vs gardevoir gx
It was a pretty standard match except that i prized 2 rare candy and a dartrix easily my worst prizes the whole tournament. The other unfortunate problem was that my opponent also had a rough start, it wasn't till the 3rd or 4th turn he got the first gardevoir setup , making it basically impossible for the back up black ray strategy to ever come into effect costing me my second game.

Round 4
Record:1-2
Time to win out for points vs mega scizor
2nd anti meta deck of the day and it went pretty normally setting up decidueyes in the back while swinging for choice banded Tapu LeLes to take kos.

Round 5
Record: 2-2
Gardevoir Gx
2nd gardevoir match of the day and this one is better but still looking bad I'm whiffing energy HARD. None prized just whiffs, but I do setup 3 decidueye during this time. These 3 birds do all the heavy lifting setting up a triple espeon ex play over 4-5 turns. In these 4-5 turns my opponent has been building 2 big gardevoirs, all 4 dce used, to take 5 prizes. This allowed me to have a perfect turn after a hollow hunt setting up the espeon, Ning my opponent to one and taking 3 prizes on both gardevoirs in play and the octillery leaving them stranded. easily my favorite game of the tournament form being dead in the water to a 6-1 prize come back in 2 turns.

Round 6
Record: 3-2
A win gets me points and im playing my favorite match-up.
vs VikaBulu
The match went pretty standard for me I gave up early prizes while setting up 3 decidueye in the back to allow me to sweep with one shots from feather arrows and choice banded decidueyes. This was the only game I played that went exactly as planned to get me my 4th win and a top 16 spot.

Summary:
Overall it was a pretty good tournament for me. Going 4-2 at a LC is now one of my personal best performances and I'm looking forward to playing the Big Bird in future LCs to expand upon this first experience. As for any who read the whole thing I hope I wasn't to boring and rambled to much!

Bradley-Still a long way off from worlds 20/400

Back