Water Pokémon Master

I like Pokemon more than you! :p
Webmaster
Elite Member
Advanced Member
VMAX Climax will release in Japan on December 3rd! We first discovered its trademark in January and theorized it would be the name of an upcoming set.
The preliminary information we’ve received says the main set will feature 184 cards — and its secret rare portion will contain shiny Pokemon! As expected, the set will be Japan’s annual “High Class” set. This means it should feature reprints from the last year as well as a large number of secret rares (as with TAG All Stars, GX Ultra Shiny, and Shiny Star V).
The sell sheet apparently mentions shiny versions of Rayquaza VMAX, Duraludon VMAX, and Mew VMAX. They will be secret rares. This would make it the third “High Class” set in a row to include shiny Pokemon.

We will also see secret rares of Nessa, Bea, Allister, Raihan...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

Scoop

Literally a sheep
This was what we were going to possibly cry about, or...? Because really, it's just yet another Shiny set. No real huge deal honestly, considering these are about expected at this point. Complaints about them making too many cards aside (which is a much larger issue than this one set, it's the TCG as a whole since 2017), this really isn't anything insane.

I know everyone and their mother in this thread are going to use the scalpers as an excuse to say this is bad news, whether it be now or whenever these cards inevitably get put into next year's special set, so get excited for a flood of original and not done to death comments about that for months to come!

GymLdrJesse

Twitter @JessePrker
Do we think ultra ball will be a standard legal card? or is it just an alternate art that doesn't reset the legality?

Kami_Sama

Aspiring Trainer
The main question imo is if they're gonna print shiny versions of the alternate arts. Imagine shiny Umbreon Vmax alt art (even though the regular shiny V / Vmax eeveelutions and some others are already gonna be insane).

Mimikeon

Aspiring Trainer
Since TPCi uses legality markers too now, they have no real excuse for not making a side set out of this.

Skeleton Liar

サーナ~
Oh, it's another shiny-focused set. Okay. Moving on... I don't know... Maybe it's just me, but I feel like this can only be done so frequently. By making it a yearly thing, it just becomes mundane. Like, with Celebrations, that's a pretty exciting set for a variety of reasons! But imagine if there was an anniversary set every year... Why then would the 25th anniversary set be exciting?

Sure, the alternate Nessa card has my interest, but that's about it from this news. A new Acerola's neat, and so is bringing back Ultra Ball. (Not that I play Standard, so whatever.)

Frost

Ice/Fairy Stan Account
yawn

I don't even care anymore. As soon as one massive set comes out the next big shiny gets announced immediately. There's no time to absorb anything anymore, especially because a year plus on, we're still dealing with the bots and scalpers and lottery pre-orders and bare shelves. "But the printing factories were slowed by coronavirus!" even though they keep steam rolling ahead with this insane release schedule...

Gameguard

Aspiring Trainer
It'll be legal.
Not technically true.
Look at ultra ball prints for Japan they all have "a" mark. Last one was ultra sun and moon. Even thou most cards in that set had "b" mark. Except a couple trainer cards and double colorless energy. Like nest ball and pokemon catcher.
Now they could be reprinting ultra ball like they did then and it didnt make it standard. Or they could do like pokemon catcher, which has prints with "a" and "e" marks. So just becuz we see it in Japan set we might not get a full legal reset of the card. Look at last time every saw ultra sun n moon for double colorless and ultra ball for Japan . Then they thought we get a reprint.. n we didn't.
So ill wait to jump on hype train.

Charmaster:)

Collecting, playing, & making family memories.
Okay, this new trend of shiny cards has its pros and cons. The main unspoken pro is that in a few years the number of Pokémon species represented in shiny form in the TCG has skyrocketed. Which is nice if you’re not satisfied with the handful of shiny forms represented as Shining Pokémon, Pokémon Star, Stormfront/Platinum/Call of Legends Secret Rares BW Secret Rares, or assorted promotional cards released before GX Ultra Shiny. I think shiny vaults are the future of Pokémon Special/High Class sets. Which is great for many because it’s the only way we will ever get shiny cards for every Pokémon species.

Mimikeon

Aspiring Trainer
Not technically true.
Look at ultra ball prints for Japan they all have "a" mark. Last one was ultra sun and moon. Even thou most cards in that set had "b" mark. Except a couple trainer cards and double colorless energy. Like nest ball and pokemon catcher.
Now they could be reprinting ultra ball like they did then and it didnt make it standard. Or they could do like pokemon catcher, which has prints with "a" and "e" marks. So just becuz we see it in Japan set we might not get a full legal reset of the card. Look at last time every saw ultra sun n moon for double colorless and ultra ball for Japan . Then they thought we get a reprint.. n we didn't.
So ill wait to jump on hype train.
They don't reset legality within the same generation. Since no Ultra Ball has been printed this gen, it'll get a new mark just like every pre-SwSh trainer that was reprinted in the SwSh era. Unless this is a special art release of some sort, it'll reset legality with a new mark. There's a very clear pattern here and it's only ambiguous if you're overly pessimistic.

Mimikeon

Aspiring Trainer
yawn

I don't even care anymore. As soon as one massive set comes out the next big shiny gets announced immediately. There's no time to absorb anything anymore, especially because a year plus on, we're still dealing with the bots and scalpers and lottery pre-orders and bare shelves. "But the printing factories were slowed by coronavirus!" even though they keep steam rolling ahead with this insane release schedule...
Are you saying that they should cut down to ~2 sets per year to make them feel more special?

o7yourdesires

Aspiring Trainer
I’m on the fence. On one hand yay some decent shiny Pokemon VMaxes (eeveelutions, ray, mew and pika maybe) on the other hand my wallet can only take so much and it devalues shiny Pokemon cards as a whole by keep printing the same ones over and over but in a different art style.

Yaginku

H-on Will Save Pokemon
Okay, this might be too hopeful, but the name "VMAX Climax" could mean the end of VMAX Pokemon. Legends: Arceus is the next mainline game, along with the BDSP remakes, and that's coming in the next four months. It would make sense to continue the Single/Rapid/Fusion Style gimmick (as Legends features a very similar in-game mechanic), but drop the Galar-specific mechanic.
Here's hoping.

Mimikeon

Aspiring Trainer
Okay, this might be too hopeful, but the name "VMAX Climax" could mean the end of VMAX Pokemon. Legends: Arceus is the next mainline game, along with the BDSP remakes, and that's coming in the next four months. It would make sense to continue the Single/Rapid/Fusion Style gimmick (as Legends features a very similar in-game mechanic), but drop the Galar-specific mechanic.
Here's hoping.
Not a chance. There are still a bunch of Gigantamax formes which haven't gotten cards, and the fact that Legends doesn't have multiplayer means that it's even less of a "mainline game" than Let's Go. Even after Legends, we're still in Gen 8/SwSh era.

ApricornNut

Optimistic Trainer/Collector
Hidden Fates 3: Return of the Sky King... hey, it has a ring to it! Seriously speaking, I KNOW this is overwhelming for many of you, but there's no denying the genuine excitement and drawpower these kinds of sets have for collectors and fans alike. All we need to do is not act like a toxic waste dump about it and spam unoriginal jokes like a few other communities that I won't name... coughsmashcough ANYWHO, let's stay positive!

Yaginku

H-on Will Save Pokemon
Not a chance. There are still a bunch of Gigantamax formes which haven't gotten cards, and the fact that Legends doesn't have multiplayer means that it's even less of a "mainline game" than Let's Go. Even after Legends, we're still in Gen 8/SwSh era.
There's, like, four of them left? They could totally be squished into this set.
I don't doubt GameFreak's ability to pump out a mediocre game in nine months, but unless they do, this will shake up their regular three-year cycle. Legends introduces new forms and, very likely, new Pokemon in general. Even though competitive - which like a bus-full of people care about - stays in SwSh, this isn't a simple spin-off like Lets Go. I don't see them pumping out SwSh-related cards after the release of Legends.