Day 16 of the Government Shutdown: Senate Reaches Bipartisan Deal

le Roi-Soleil

PokéBeach Staff Alumnus

"WASHINGTON—Senate leaders on Wednesday struck an 11th-hour agreement to avoid a U.S. debt crisis and fully reopen the federal government, putting lawmakers on track toward ending a stalemate that worried investors world-wide and provided striking evidence of congressional dysfunction.

House Speaker John Boehner (R., Ohio), in a statement released Wednesday afternoon, said House Republicans will allow the Senate deal to come up for a vote. "Blocking the bipartisan agreement reached today by the members of the Senate will not be a tactic for us," Mr. Boehner said."

Discuss!

Finally! The Republicans have stopped waging the war on ObamaCare, for the time being, to reopen the government; of course, they'll be right back on it, if this even passes through the House, but let's rejoice in this bliss for the next few days. I really, really, really hope they, you know, stop holding the government hostage, and finally realize that they're not five year olds. We'll see within the next few days...

Did anyone seriously think that this wasn't going to happen? They shut down the government, saying "yeah man we're so rad and tough we're gonna shut down the government!" But then when it came down to either standing up for what they believed in or the financial collapse of America (or something), they wussed out.

"But PMJ, it's good that they did! Cause then, like, America will be back on track and stuff!"

Right, but if they were going to do that in the first place, then what was the point of saying "lol government shutdown" if they're gonna say lol jk at the last second? I wasn't worried at all because I knew that they'd do it. I would have staked my life on it because it's a sure thing. This is how our government rolls. Disagree, do something drastic, keep it up until the very last possible second, and then say okay never mind, let's all hold hands.

And it's finally over.

These last two weeks have been ridiculous, but at least we avoided the Debt Ceiling, that would have been the real problem. The real problem is that we stick too many things together and hold things hostage, and it can be argued both ways. The Republicans shouldn't have held the government hostage in regards to Obamacare and the Democrats shouldn't have put the reopening of the government and the debt ceiling together. The combining of these issues causes huge problems as people are forced to vote a certain way because of the other thing that's combined with it.

I saw a picture somewhere of Boehner crying over this. I thought it was actually quite humorous. It says a lot about him, actually.

Back