Darkrai / Hydregion for Competitive Play?

DarkraiGuy

Since 1997
So I play a pretty standard Darkrai/Hydregion deck. My big question is should i stick with this for regionals and states? Or are their any better Darkrai Variants? I'm open to other decks too haha. My only other thoughts on decks outside of Darkrai variants would be Flareon. Or a deck using the new Chandelure card. Another thought would be a Ninetails deck.. But really this thread is for finding a strong competitive deck..
Thanks!

RE: Darkrai/Hydregion for competitive play?

Darkrai/Garbodor seems to be the strongest variant of Darkrai right now. It's more annoying than ever!

Yeah darkrai/garbador is currently the best variant (minus some amazing rogue build) it placed very well at worlds top 8? I believe? And did placed 1st at the KO 2013, it's also been proving to be very annoying in play testing. So yeah if you want to at darkrai build, and you don't have an amazing rogue idea, I would go for darkrai EX/Garbodor.

Cortel II said:
Yeah darkrai/garbador is currently the best variant (minus some amazing rogue build) it placed very well at worlds top 8? I believe? And did placed 1st at the KO 2013, it's also been proving to be very annoying in play testing. So yeah if you want to at darkrai build, and you don't have an amazing rogue idea, I would go for darkrai EX/Garbodor.

Im gonna have to build a rouge haha, I can't do Garbodor, I've played it and seen it but won't play it because my play type isn't a slow lock type. I'm working on a variant and will have to play Hydregion at a small tournament tomorrow, will post results here or in another thread. But for now i will look into a Darkrai Mewtwo variant and hope for Mega Mewtwo as a card soon to Evolve this built.

In my opinion, while Darkrai/Garbodor is a strong deck, I don't think it will perform as well. This is because of the new Best of Three, 50 minute swiss rounds. At the KO where it performed the best) there were Best of Three 75 minute rounds. Darkrai/Garbodor is normally very slow, and I don't think it will be able to keep up with faster decks in a decreased time limit.
My favorite deck for this upcoming season is Garchomp/Altaria. It hits hard, is easy to play, and is very cheap.

Conzipe said:
Darkrai/Garbodor seems to be the strongest variant of Darkrai right now. It's more annoying than ever!
Regionals - Best 2/3 50 minutes. Have fun with that lock deck ;)

AlexanderTheAwesome said:
Conzipe said:

Play it more aggressively with Darkrai.

Pokewiz1999 said:

well yes, but the deck just gets worse that way. You start w/sableye to run them out of resources as much as possible with garbodor locking that down. Going aggro Darkrai kind of makes it.... ehhhh

Pokewiz1999 said:

well yes, but the deck just gets worse that way. You start w/sableye to run them out of resources as much as possible with garbodor locking that down. Going aggro Darkrai kind of makes it.... ehhhh

That's pretty true I guess.

As a updated version to my Big Basics deck from last season, I now run Garbodore along with Big Basics (Landorus EX included). Landorus EX still has a very strong matchup against practically all Darkrai variants. Just be aware that Landorus EX has not completely gone away IMHO and with 2 Darkrai EX decks finishing in the T4 at the Klaczynski Open, don't be surprised to see a few Landorus EX decks at the upcoming Regional tournaments.

Don't play a standard Darkrai/Hydreigon. Play a Darkrai/Hydreigon that will throw your opponents for a loop. Make sure you tech for the meta. With Blends and Dark Trance, you can have some interesting additions.

I'm trying a list with a 1/1 Dusknoir line and 2 Tropical Beach. Its working well, but all the Garbodor is hurting me the most. If the Garbodor play calms down, I'd feel much better about playing this deck. Unfortunately, I don't trust that to happen and I'm taking DarkGarb to regional or a rouge build based around Garb.

Back