• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Darkrai / Garbodor

SynxS1N

Follow your heart...
Pokemon: 10
  • 3 Darkrai EX
  • 3 Sableye
  • 2 Garbodor DRX
  • 2 Trubbish (70hp)
Trainers: 41
  • 4 Professor Juniper
  • 4 N
  • 2 Colress
  • 2 Skyla
  • 4 Pokemon Catcher
  • 4 Dark Patch
  • 4 Float Stone
  • 4 Hypnotoxic Laser
  • 3 Ultra Ball
  • 2 Dark Claw
  • 2 Enahnced Hammer
  • 1 Super Rod
  • 1 Energy Search
  • 1 Tool Scrapper
  • 1 Dowsing Machine
  • 2 Virbank City Gym
Energy: 9
  • 9 Darkness
Strategy:
The strategy is simple and the same in all Darkrai/Garbodor decks, use Garbodor to shut off crucial Pokemon Abilities, Sableye to recycle and set up, and Darkrai to put out big damage.

I'm not really in need of help as much as I just want some opinions and maybe other list to compare to.

RE: Darkrai/Garbodor

From my own experience in building and playing a different version of this deck, I'd suggest the following comments for your consideration:

• Assuming you place both Trubbish into play during the same turn (to maximize the survibility of 1), more than likely, one will be Catcher'ed KOd almost immediately (by many players, IMHO) on your opponent's next turn. Or both Trubbish will be setup for subsequent KOs. Secondly, what if one of your Trubbish is prized? 3 Trubbish works better, IMHO.
  • A 2-2 Garbodor line is also quite risky. If 1 Garbodor is prized and the other is KOd, you will be at a great disadvantage for a period of time perhaps. For me, I run a 3-3 line.
  • To increase the Garbodor "recovery" time when it is KOd, Rescue Scarf works very, very well.
  • Numerous players run 2 - 4 Tool Scrapper; so, with only 4 Tools (assuming the Dark Claw will only be used on your dark Pokémon), you may "lose" the Tool "war" more often than win. Plus, you may at times need to attach a Float Stone to a Darkrai EX; so, you will have fewer available for your Garbodor.
  • Needless to say, many players also run Ht Laser. So, you may want to include 1- 2 Switch to help get your asleep active Pokémon back to your bench.
  • When you playtest your deck in the current game format of a 50-minute, best of 3 games match, you may find this version "slow;" so, you might want to consider some other possible attackers.
I hope you find these comments helpful.

TuxedoBlack said:
From my own experience in building and playing a different version of this deck, I'd suggest the following comments for your consideration:

• Assuming you place both Trubbish into play during the same turn (to maximize the survibility of 1), more than likely, one will be Catcher'ed KOd almost immediately (by many players, IMHO) on your opponent's next turn. Or both Trubbish will be setup for subsequent KOs. Secondly, what if one of your Trubbish is prized? 3 Trubbish works better, IMHO.
  • A 2-2 Garbodor line is also quite risky. If 1 Garbodor is prized and the other is KOd, you will be at a great disadvantage for a period of time perhaps. For me, I run a 3-3 line.
  • To increase the Garbodor "recovery" time when it is KOd, Rescue Scarf works very, very well.
  • Numerous players run 2 - 4 Tool Scrapper; so, with only 4 Tools (assuming the Dark Claw will only be used on your dark Pokémon), you may "lose" the Tool "war" more often than win. Plus, you may at times need to attach a Float Stone to a Darkrai EX; so, you will have fewer available for your Garbodor.
  • Needless to say, many players also run Ht Laser. So, you may want to include 1- 2 Switch to help get your asleep active Pokémon back to your bench.
  • When you playtest your deck in the current game format of a 50-minute, best of 3 games match, you may find this version "slow;" so, you might want to consider some other possible attackers.
I hope you find these comments helpful.

I appreciate your insight. The list is pretty tight as is and if I had the space I might go for a 3rd Trubb but I find super rod is enough to help me get Garbs set up late game. Plus the deck survives well on the rare occasions that I don't have Garb in play, I just set up Darkrais and swing.

I could see a copy of switch in the deck, but again space is the issue and I'm really trying to resist going down to 8 energy. I might try it out though. I'm also happy with my tool line up. The only tool I want on Garb is Float Stone (getting catchered w/o it is no good) and I can use Sableye to bring them back no matter how many times they scrap.

I know this deck is generally slower than the rest, but the way I play it, it isn't an issue for me. I recently finished game 3's in a 50 minute Bo3 tourn in 3 out of my 4 rounds.

Good results. Congrats.

I've also played against a deck very much like this and I wrecked it with my Team Plasma deck (in which I ran Ht Lasers and Silver Bangles) because he could not Switch out his Darkrai EX... And I easily removed 4 Tools he attached; so, his Garbodor was not that effective at all.

TuxedoBlack said:
Good results. Congrats.

I've also played against a deck very much like this and I wrecked it with my Team Plasma deck (in which I ran Ht Lasers and Silver Bangles) because he could not Switch out his Darkrai EX... And I easily removed 4 Tools he attached; so, his Garbodor was not that effective at all.

Well now, that's very good for you :) but either he wasn't very skilled and/or you got incredibly lucky. First of all I said switch MIGHT warrant a space, so your argument was senseless. On top of that the 25% chance I stay asleep (that's if I haven't already been ko'd after a blizzburn) doesn't really justify it and at 1 copy it wouldn't come up in that very specific situation often enough. Plus Garb doesn't do much to plasma (especially when it runs lasers and bangles) so I wouldnt be too upset that you "somehow" discarded all my tools (when a good player wouldn't be playing all of them down to begin with). Please make sure you know what you're talking about before you decide to type a reply with that tone.

SynxS1N said:
TuxedoBlack said:
Good results. Congrats.

Well now, that's very good for you :) but either he wasn't very skilled and/or you got incredibly lucky. First of all I said switch MIGHT warrant a space, so your argument was senseless. On top of that the 25% chance I stay asleep (that's if I haven't already been ko'd after a blizzburn) doesn't really justify it and at 1 copy it wouldn't come up in that very specific situation often enough. Plus Garb doesn't do much to plasma (especially when it runs lasers and bangles) so I wouldnt be too upset that you "somehow" discarded all my tools (when a good player wouldn't be playing all of them down to begin with). Please make sure you know what you're talking about before you decide to type a reply with that tone.
My "tone"? You perhaps may have read more into my post than intended. My feedback/posts (check others if you'd like) are meant only to be informative and objective and are not "senseless" at all. My results were just that - objective. My opponent (a well respected, experienced player) is quite good. And my discarding Tools, like any other good player, were at the needed times for KOs and/or game advantage.

Peace.

I don't think there is much to complain about this list. In fact it's completely identical to the list I use except I'm playing one more Skyla over the 9th dark energy.

3-3 Garbodor has both it's benefits and deficits. It can be more effective against decks which are weak to Garbodor, especially since you can more easily put up multiple Garbodor. However it also gives you more dead cards against decks where Garbodor is not as effective.

TuxedoBlack said:
SynxS1N said:
My "tone"? You perhaps may have read more into my post than intended. My feedback/posts (check others if you'd like) are meant only to be informative and objective and are not "senseless" at all. My results were just that - objective. My opponent (a well respected, experienced player) is quite good. And my discarding Tools, like any other good player, were at the needed times for KOs and/or game advantage.

Peace.

I'm sorry if I am mistaken but do we live in a universe where "I wrecked it with my Plasma deck" (which has an obvious tone) can be seen as objective? You're comment was anything but objective, let alone constructive. Saying your opponent is "well respected" doesn't make you right, nor does it give you any credibility. You apparently lack the ability to provide anything that would support your views other than "I did what I was supposed to do" or "I got more lucky than my opponent". Now you have 2 senseless responses, I hope you actually say something in your next one (if there even is a next one).

Conzipe said:
I don't think there is much to complain about this list. In fact it's completely identical to the list I use except I'm playing one more Skyla over the 9th dark energy.

3-3 Garbodor has both it's benefits and deficits. It can be more effective against decks which are weak to Garbodor, especially since you can more easily put up multiple Garbodor. However it also gives you more dead cards against decks where Garbodor is not as effective.

I've actually been testing this with some success. I find the boost to be really helpful against Virizion EX, which some how always seems to KO my garbs lol. But on the flip side Regionals were taken by straight Darkrai/Sableye. I'll have do a little more testing to see where I want to go with it but thank you for your constructive reply.

Back