• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Darkrai EX / Yveltal

Gible06

Aspiring Trainer
Pokemon:
  • 3 Yveltal EX
  • 2 Darkrai EX
  • 3 Yveltal
  • 2 Zorua
  • 2 Zoroark
  • 1 Zoroark Break
  • 2 Shaymin EX
Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums:
  • 4 VS Seeker
  • 4 Max Elixir
  • 4 Ultra Ball
  • 3 Muscle Band
  • 3 Trainers' Mail
  • 2 Fighting Fury Belt
  • 2 Float Stone
  • 4 Professor Sycamore
  • 2 Lysandre
  • 1 Hex Maniac
  • 1 Professor Birch's Observations
Energy:
  • 11 Darkness Energy
  • 4 Double Colorless Energy
Strategy:

The point is to be attaching an energy every turn so you keep doing more damage. I am mostly hitting about 100 damage first turn using max elixir.

All help is appreciated!☺️

Not sure, haven't thought about that. Although something about malamar ex doesn't sound right to me. I think it's because I rely on yveltal more then darkrai.

The new Darkrai is made for Malamar! If your main attacker is Yveltal I think you're wasting space on Darkrai without Malamar

The new Yveltal (BKT) deserves serous consideration too, IMO. You could replace 1 of the XY Yveltal with a BKT Yveltal.

Last edited:
-1 Yveltal
-1 Yveltal EX
-1 Dark Energy

+1 Yveltal (BKT)
+1 Malamar
+1 Super Rod

This will make the deck pretty similar to what I'm running. I have 1 less Yveltal EX and 1 more Zoroark Break, but I'm sure you can come up with a hundred different combo's to use. I believe the Zoroark Break will make for a great counter to Trevenant and Jolteon EX decks.

I think Darkrai is actually best without depending on malamar. It can be a fun 1-of tech. Especially if you run energy switch. I think its not needed though because if you hit a few max elixir and y-cyclone early game to keep dark energy on the board dark pulse is amazing late game. You can easily overwhelm an opponent by stacking energy on the bench and easily hitting 120-160 with dark pulse. Then when darkrai goes down, you still have all those energy to evil ball or mind jack or any number of things.

But with Night March being so heavily played right now you're going to lose the prize card race. Sure you'll have more energy on the board, but you'll be down in prize cards. OR if you run into a manectric deck you wont be wasting time building Yveltal only to see him get OHKO'd. That's why I like running a 1-1 Malamar/Darkrai. You still have Yveltal in the deck for a big hitter if need be, but night march and Manectric eat him alive.

Against NM if you attach a DCE to darkrai and hit even one max elixir you ohko all night marchers without fury belt (or occasionally with them if you have a tool attached or reverse valley). If they have belts you can promote fright night yveltal. Plus. If you can use a belt on darkrai and the only way they can ohko you is with 11 night marchers in the discard and a joltik active (you resist pumkaboo). That situation favors darkrai. I usually don't bench any yveltal ex against night March. Zoroark, both yveltal and darkrai can deal with them without too much issue. At this point it's more of an darkrai /yveltal deck than just a single teched darkrai. I've been liking it so far for sure. In general it has great late game against ex decks and hits hard enough against night March to take them out early and often. You just play it differently.

This helps against those decks because....?

Zoroark Break allows you to use one of your opponents attacks. So you can use Tree Slam against Trevenant for the OHKO with only 1 dark energy attached and do 20 dmg to 2 bench Pokemon. Against Jolteon EX you use flash Ray for 70 dmg and Jolteon can't attack you next turn.

Against NM if you attach a DCE to darkrai and hit even one max elixir you ohko all night marchers without fury belt (or occasionally with them if you have a tool attached or reverse valley). If they have belts you can promote fright night yveltal. Plus. If you can use a belt on darkrai and the only way they can ohko you is with 11 night marchers in the discard and a joltik active (you resist pumkaboo). That situation favors darkrai. I usually don't bench any yveltal ex against night March. Zoroark, both yveltal and darkrai can deal with them without too much issue. At this point it's more of an darkrai /yveltal deck than just a single teched darkrai. I've been liking it so far for sure. In general it has great late game against ex decks and hits hard enough against night March to take them out early and often. You just play it differently.

You're not thinking about the strategy correctly. If you try and OHKO a night marcher with Darkrai EX you just lost the prize card race. Sure you get one prize card, but next turn they will have 2 and you're now behind.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back