Discussion Counters for M Sceptile?

AceTrainerAlex

Aspiring Trainer
With all this talk of M Sceptile being a strong contender next rotation, can someone list some counters that can be splashed into decks? Or even deck specific counters?

Any fire deck built competitively. Mega ray should do well against it, but obviously greninja and primal groudon are good matchups for sceptile. Sceptile is a deck that depends an awful lot on what people are playing because while you can have a very controlling board state with the healing action, you are not going to be 1hko anybody unless you are swinging for weakness. You need to be playing against a deck that you can either 1hko or hit for weakness or they plan to trade hits (I hit for 120 or so, they hit for less than 1hko and I heal, I hit for 120 or so for ko, etc). If the meta turns into 1hko's then m sceptile will not be doing enough damage. I had the same thought when I considered m altaria for my deck vs m gardevoir. M altaria does not currently do enough damage and there are too many easy KO's for the healing to really make a big difference in important matchups.

Volcanion is a counter, but Volcanion is only good against Sceptile. The best way to play against Sceptile is to make sure they can't loop Sceptiles, so once you knock out one, you can generally win. If you could tell which decks you are using then I could tell you possible techs for your deck.

Giratina ex makes their megas useless, and it also locks some of their stuff, but with pokemon ranger around, i wouldnt be too sure of the lock sticking.

Any fire deck built competitively.
For example, Volcanion decks should be an effective counter to M Sceptile EX since Volcanion EX can easily 1HKO M Sceptile EX, thus preventing the "healing cycle." There may also be a few other Fire decks, Delphox Break, Camerupt EX, Entei, Flareon EX, etc., that will also be effective counters to M Sceptile EX decks.

Lastly, IMO, another, non-Fire deck that will be quite competitive and an effective counter to M Sceptile EX is M Mewtwo EX due to its Psychic Infinity and its Mewtwo EX Damage Exchange attacks.

Mega ray should do well against it, but obviously greninja and primal groudon are good matchups for sceptile.
Although M Ray EX decks have the 1HKO capability, M Ray EX decks can also be easily neutralized with Parallel City should the M Sceptile EX deck player choose to run this particular Stadium vs. others.

M Sceptile EX decks also have some noted advantages over both Greninja and P Groudon EX decks:

• M Sceptile EX decks can utilize an effective healing cycle,
  • Both Greninja and P Groudon EX decks are weak to Grass Pokémon attacks, and
  • M Sceptile EX decks can setup faster.
Advantage: M Sceptile EX decks, IMO.

Last edited:
For example, Volcanion decks should be an effective counter to M Sceptile EX since Volcanion EX can easily 1HKO M Sceptile EX, thus preventing the "healing cycle." There may also be a few other Fire decks, Delphox Break, Camerupt EX, Entei, Flareon EX, etc., that will also be effective counters to M Sceptile EX decks.

Lastly, IMO, another, non-Fire deck that will be quite competitive and an effective counter to M Sceptile EX is M Mewtwo EX due to its Psychic Infinity and its Mewtwo EX Damage Exchange attacks.

Although M Ray decks have the 1HKO capability, M Ray decks can also be easily neutralized with Parallel City should the M Sceptile EX deck player choose to run this particular Stadium vs. others.

M Sceptile EX decks also have some noted advantages over both Greninja and P Groudon EX decks:

• M Sceptile decks can utilize an effective healing cycle,
  • Both Greninja and P Groudon EX decks are weak to Grass Pokémon attacks, and
  • M Sceptile EX decks can setup faster.
Advantage: M Sceptile EX decks, IMO.

Mega Mewtwo isn't a hard matchup once you learn it, you just have to make sure you apply quick pressure and counter their stadiums so they can't Damage Change, and set up for a KO. Even so, Damage Change can't KO you so that is good, as long as you outpace them you should be fine.

Aqua's Secret Base could be interesting, as it forces the opponent to waste an energy if they want to heal. Delinquent is good as well, especially if you could maybe pull off a Delinquent/Aqua's Secret Base play.

N just N. It can really hurt the heal loop.
I'm strong agreement with this being the basic solution for every deck. The mega sceptile deck cannot heal if they can't maintain a constant flow of energy in their hand. N is a great card that punishes decks that require constant resources and resides in almost every deck already.

Also M Sceptile-EX isn't affected by Giant Water Shuriken, so if your opponent just has a few Mega Sceptile in play, Greninja can do nothing.

From my experience, The best Greninja can do is also play a copy of AOR Regice, which is extremely annoying for Mega Sceptile, because even with Pokemon Ranger, it can only hit for 100 damage, and you don't want a basic Sceptile-EX, or Ariados, getting hit by Giant Water Shuriken.

Back