Discussion Countering Blacephalon

Which one prize water type can be teched into a deck? I didn't find one. But there is also something else, namely (W)-type Alolan Ninetales GX in Fairytales decks, use Choice Band and Kukui to hit for (50+20+30)x2 = 200 damage and if they miss a OHKO then Ice Path them for the win.
Alolan Vulpix hits for 100 if it has a Choice Band.

Alolan sandshrew has a 50/50 chance of tanking his hit, making him either take 1 prize card or not attack. His evolution(none Ability) can 1 shot him if your able to pull a DCE.

That or use Alolan Vulpix with Roar, Until your able to set up.

Lapras can paralyze him.

Tapu fini's GX can throw him back into his deck.

Or use a Goldduck/Feraligatr combo - neither can tank, but can do massive damage for low energy costs, plus the benefit of confusion on 1st turn(if you go second)

Use sceptile gx and CES sceptile to stop beast energy and the beast stopper ability. Con is That Blacephalon gets weakness

Girafarig hurts Blacephalon.

Can’t hit too hard if you’re literally taking 100 damage from their discard pile a turn. Do it enough and they won’t win in prizes.

Quagsire/Naganadel might be the only one that can survive it with some hope. The deck is so smooth even a kid beat me with it yesterday.

Girafarig hurts Blacephalon.

Can’t hit too hard if you’re literally taking 100 damage from their discard pile a turn. Do it enough and they won’t win in prizes.

I thought about this strategy but it is easily played around. Blacephalon players will only discard when they know they can Charge Up on the same turn. That way, you never get a chance to send em to the Lost Zone. You might be able to get away with it for one turn, but they play so much Energy it won't matter in the end.

If you can get around weakness Metagross works well, doing 180 per turn and taking 5 energies to knock out. Let an Alolan Vulpix be knocked out one turn and they won't have enough energy to take the final knockout.

If you can get around weakness Metagross works well, doing 180 per turn and taking 5 energies to knock out. Let an Alolan Vulpix be knocked out one turn and they won't have enough energy to take the final knockout.

Thinking about that, I would consider Blacephalon's GX attack - meaning that after alolan Vulpix is gone all that would be needed is 2 Metagross's, even with a good setup, you can take out 1 Blacephalon, however the one on the bench is going to wipe your metagross out next. Metagross is slow and because of that it gives blacephalon the time to setup for the high energy costs. Although if you did get it to work - Awesome.

Personally I wouldn't touch Metagross, If I was to look into high HP GX counters, Maybe Promo Solgaleo GX, with Dusk Mane Necrozma GX. Blacephalon will be Using Ultra Space, and I would take advantage of that, With weakness removal It will cost a lot in order to take out that team with setup being faster.... No guarantees though.

Thinking about that, I would consider Blacephalon's GX attack - meaning that after alolan Vulpix is gone all that would be needed is 2 Metagross's, even with a good setup, you can take out 1 Blacephalon, however the one on the bench is going to wipe your metagross out next. Metagross is slow and because of that it gives blacephalon the time to setup for the high energy costs. Although if you did get it to work - Awesome.

Personally I wouldn't touch Metagross, If I was to look into high HP GX counters, Maybe Promo Solgaleo GX, with Dusk Mane Necrozma GX. Blacephalon will be Using Ultra Space, and I would take advantage of that, With weakness removal It will cost a lot in order to take out that team with setup being faster.... No guarantees though.
Alolan Vulpix only gives one prize... In my mind using AV to set up Metagross, then sacrificing up to two Metagross to Blacephalon is enough to win the game. Sacrificing AV will cost them 1-2 energy. Each Blacephalon uses 5 energy to kill a Metagross. The last Metagross will survive the last attack that Blacephalon is able to use. Any Naganadels that try to fight will get OHKOed, along with a Max Potion to remove the damage.

This all assumes, of course, that the opponent does not GX and weakness is not a factor. If the opponent does GX, then you can only afford to lose one Metagross. Ultimately, this is Metagross's worst matchup, although it is possible to win, though unlikely. Newgaleo will fair much better.

As someone who mains Metagross/Solgaleo and usually destroys the opponent, this makes me very sad.

Alolan Vulpix only gives one prize... In my mind using AV to set up Metagross, then sacrificing up to two Metagross to Blacephalon is enough to win the game. Sacrificing AV will cost them 1-2 energy. Each Blacephalon uses 5 energy to kill a Metagross. The last Metagross will survive the last attack that Blacephalon is able to use. Any Naganadels that try to fight will get OHKOed, along with a Max Potion to remove the damage.

This all assumes, of course, that the opponent does not GX and weakness is not a factor. If the opponent does GX, then you can only afford to lose one Metagross. Ultimately, this is Metagross's worst matchup, although it is possible to win, though unlikely. Newgaleo will fair much better.

As someone who mains Metagross/Solgaleo and usually destroys the opponent, this makes me very sad.

Yeah The stakes are high and are in the favor of Blacephalon. I mained Scizor GX, and had to bench him the minute Lost march came out - It's just too risky.

One of the best techs right now is probably Lapras from DRM. For 3 [C] Energy you get to hit 100 with a Band before weakness, meaning you OHKO Blacephalon. plus they have to burn 3 energy to ohko Lapras (assuming they don't have Beast Energy {*}

Blacephalon, like Rayquaza, takes time to get set up to deal one-hit knockouts. You need Fire in the discard, Naganadels set up, and a consistent way to load the Discard pile or hit Beast Ring. You will likely be able to steamroll more control-oriented decks like A-Ninetales / Zoroark / Decidueye and Metagross, but Blacephalon is going to have a rough time if it has to stand up against single-prize attackers (especially Granbulls or Quagsires) or trade blows with a Rayquaza deck that gets its Turn 2 Vikavolt. Blacephalon's late-game has a lot of openings. A Shuckle-GX also has the potential to stall it out until set-up is completed, so you have to be careful around those, and depending on rulings regarding Shuckle-GX's ability and attacks that discard attached Energy, you could get completely clinched by one.

I just damage them with giratina and then after I get 2 damaged I go in with Necrozma's gx to kill both of them plus set up game because they usually have a lele on bench

I've done well with rotom/gourgeist/shrine. It's a lot of work to wear down 6 non gx's while taking shrine punishment. Also, gourgeist easily ohko's Blacephalon-GX.

Back