'Cosmic Eclipse,' November's English Set!

Yaginku

H-on Will Save Pokemon
I 100% agree about the Unified Minds pull rates. I must have opened around 40-50 packs of it by now, and I only pulled 1 Cherish Ball, 1 Reset Stamp and 1 Coach Trainer myself, I had to buy singles for the rest that I needed.
You're not supposed to buy packs to get the cards you need, and there is no mathematical possibility of "breaking even" on one card from each pack. No card is a "bomb" in a vacuum, it's all dependent on the other cards in the set. You're supposed to purchase the cards you need for the deck you want to play, and leave pack opening to event prizes and mass openers. When you're buying a pack, you're engaging in gambling, not investment.
The pull rates are actually not too different from Magic - these packs are not "only ten cards", because you're still getting a rare and three uncommons. The amount of commons doesn't matter, because there are no "$5 commons" floating around. The chaos between Japanese and English releases is obviously tiring though and I am hoping for worldwide releases soon.

Scoop

Literally a sheep
I feel like if this was a year or so ago I'd be surprised but at this point I'm so used to it that it's come to the point where this is just another regular old set, lol. Nearly 100 more cards than good old Aquapolis though is still something else.

Poke_collector

Aspiring Trainer
Why would they save all the SR cards from all stars for next years holiday set? We shoulda completely moved onto V cards by then?

Skeleton Liar

サーナ~
I feel like if this was a year or so ago I'd be surprised but at this point I'm so used to it that it's come to the point where this is just another regular old set, lol. Nearly 100 more cards than good old Aquapolis though is still something else.
Same. Last year, it was cute with Lost Thunder. After reading this title, I was like, “Alright, whatever.” Just another Sun and Moon set I’m not going to bother to collect because it’s too big for me to care about; just going after a handful of cards. The only thing I’m pleasantly surprised by is that the character rares take the place of the reverse holo.

Tytus

Expanded Best Format
What an insulting cash grab. This is just more confirmation that players and maybe even collectors should just buy singles.

MasterGallade

Instagram: @theavalonlegacy
Why would they save all the SR cards from all stars for next years holiday set? We shoulda completely moved onto V cards by then?

They did the same thing in 2017 with the Premium XY Trainer's Collection; we already moved on to GXs at that time but the Trainer's Collection full arts were from the Best of XY set from the year before, so it's not completely unlikely

AuraJackle

Aspiring Trainer
People who complain about big sets are the same kind of people who complain that game has to much to do. Get over it find a balance that suits your needs or rise to the challenge be you a collector or just a purveyor of fine looking decks

Pikachu6319

Scooby
What an insulting cash grab. This is just more confirmation that players and maybe even collectors should just buy singles.

That's what I've been doing for years now, just buying the singles that I want. It's cheaper in the long run even with an average set.

hervul

Aspiring Trainer
Guys, these massive sets are only to catch up with Japan. Next year they should go back to normal.

Scoop

Literally a sheep

Honestly, collectors have always benefited over getting singles than opening up products. I don't really think it's ever needed confirmation, there's not really many times you're going to get any value out of opening up stuff (The U.N. Battle Arena deck and the Ray v. Keldeo ones are the only times I can think of off the top of my head that are/were better than getting the singles). The only time I ever really open things is when I want to have some fun, like Shining Legends, or more recently hidden fates (Which I'm still salty about them barely even stocking. Ugh.)

I don't really think TPCi is the one at fault for it being cash-grabby, they're just playing catch up with the Japanese side of the card game. If you want to blame something, blame whoever decided that Rainbow Rares and Gold Items for nearly every GX and relevant item in the set were a good idea (and whatever they were on in making that decision). I'd be fine with it if they were actually appealing collectibles.

Same. Last year, it was cute with Lost Thunder. After reading this title, I was like, “Alright, whatever.” Just another Sun and Moon set I’m not going to bother to collect because it’s too big for me to care about; just going after a handful of cards. The only thing I’m pleasantly surprised by is that the character rares take the place of the reverse holo.
I'm gonna go after these sets eventually at some point probably, just not the RR's/Gold stuff, I figured I don't need to put down hundreds for some rainbow palette swaps. But main-series Sun and Moon is the least of my priorities, I'm much more interested on finishing up gens 4 and 6 right now and going for whatever WOTC and EX era stuff I can get my hands on. I'd LIKE to be working on Hidden Fates, but haha that one's a disaster so never mind.

The CHR's taking the reverse slot are definitely a nice surprise. It'd have been awful for them to have the same rates as the average SR, especially when they're infinitely more appealing collectibles.

KeoKeo

Aspiring Trainer
Guys, relax they're just trying to mimic the games, see?
Gen 1 - 151 Pokemon
Now - 807 Pokemon
They're just trying to make it literally impossible to catch em'all!

Frost

Ice/Fairy Stan Account

All the shinies are perfect special annual set bait (especially if they continue plowing three Japanese sets together to make one English one). And most if not all of the Tag All Star ultra rare cards will still be in the rotation next August, so they'll have one up on Shiny Vault in that regard at least.

Guys, these massive sets are only to catch up with Japan. Next year they should go back to normal.
Not really? Sword and Shield base set will be 202 cards without secret rares in the west. It looks like Japan is rolling right along with their new strategy of releasing monthly 'mini-sets' and so English will be playing catch-up eternally.

Anyway Cosmic Eclipse being the biggest set ever is just a 'whatever' to me at this point. I'll take the small victory that I can from the character rares being in the reverse holo slot.

Last edited:

Winkachu

Aspiring Trainer
I can't keep up with set releases, I'm still waiting for Hidden Fates products restock and few stores I manage to find these products are overpriced by almost double.

Pokemon Company clearly, has to think how to release themed products like pins, collection boxes that follow with the set release and include an only single set booster packs like it is done for Generation/Shining Legend/Dragon Majesty and Hidden Fates and stop mixing old booster packs in newer set products. Even then it will be extremely hard to get most of the cards from the sets, which leads to the next argument of increasing pull rates from booster packs. Right now from Sun & Moon, I have bought only once a booster box of Guardians Rising/Unbroken bonds then Every product once of Shining Legends/Dragon Majesty and Detective Pikachu. Shows clearly a point that even for the dedicated collector it is pretty much impossible to finish set.