Continuity in the TCG

DMYSYS

Aspiring Trainer
Hi everyone.

I've been lurking Pokébeach for years and essentially "lurking" the TCG for even longer. By that I mean I'm a very casual collector, I don't have anything near a complete set but I've been buying packs for years and have a decent albeit non-exhaustive cross-section of cards running from Base Set to late DPPt. In that I'm non-competitive, I used to battle theme decks with my sister and aside from one tournament and a Prerelease I've not gone to many formal events, I've rarely been able to coherently comment on the current metagame, and since I'm not much of a hardcore collector I have the rare Wizards promo I'm proud of but rarely have the sort of 'big deal' cards worth bragging about. In a sense, I've always felt my interest in the TCG has been sort of unique, and I just wanted to ramble on a bit about my favorite aspect of the TCG now that we've hit the 15th anniversary of its existence. None of this will surprise anyone, but you know when you have something knocking around in your head you finally need to just get out of your system? Yeah. (I hope it's also a decent opportunity to expand my posting habits to more than just critical Front Page commentary.)

So, I guess, here's why I'm still prone to buy a pack of cards every now and again. I hope this perspective isn't as unique as I assume, and I also hope this is in the right forum and I don't inadvertently break any rules.

Continuity

I've been a sucker for serialized storytelling my entire life. I think comic books have always done it the way I enjoyed it most, with editorial footnotes prompting you to look back 100 issues to find out this new character is actually a reappearance from 10 years ago, and the way most series often try to establish a method to the madness of changing writers, editorial boards, aborted storylines -- they make a fine tapestry from a mess of tattered patchwork. I'm not going to write an essay about how postmodern it is or anything; in the back of my mind I know most of the writing in comic series is quite simplistic, but I love it nonetheless. Long-running franchises often have this benefit of being able to make callbacks on years and years of backstory, and while the Pokémon franchise has traditionally been light on plot, and the TCG itself even moreso, I essentially love collecting these cards for the callbacks, for the references, the reprints, all of it. For me, it's not quite the sort of back-patting of catching the reference of an inside joke as much as it is the pleasant surprise when, years later, the card game references one of my favorite cards from when I was a child. It's nostalgia, I guess. These 'callbacks' work in a number of ways.

Exact Reprints

7-hitmonchan.jpg
129-hitmonchan.jpg

I think everyone loves a reprint. I guess the most popular reprint might be any given Pikachu reprint or Stormfront Charizard, but the Hitmonchan reprint is actually my standing favorite. Hitmonchan is my absolute favorite card from the entire Base Set print, and it was incoherently exciting to me that 10 years later the card, exactly as it was, was reprinted in Platinum, a set I went ahead and bought an entire box of. And I got my Hitmonchan!

These literal reprints always benefit from a bit of time -- Base Set 2 was such a terrible idea so early on, and I was even ambivalent towards Legendary Collection (you couldn't even bother to change the cards to Neo-era blanks?), but seeing an exact reprint is always great. I also love when they do exact reprints but with different card art -- I was pleased as punch when I realized on my own that POP2's Pikachu was a reprint of Base Set's.

'Updated' Reprints

3-chansey.jpg

76-chansey.jpg

I think the best example of this idea would be Undaunted's Sneasel in that there's even a reference to the card art, but this runs everything from Rattata (Base Set/Rumble) to this Chansey. Because of a difference in art, or a variation in the attack cost, power, or HP, if you blink you'll miss it, but if you don't, you'll catch that while it's not exact, the spirit of the older card is clearly there, and it can be interesting to see what tweaks are or aren't made to make the card viable, or even the fact a format-wrecker like Neo Sneasel can be downgraded to an HGSS common and just not matter.

There's a bit of overlap between exact and updated reprints when it comes to card art; POP2 Pikachu, while exact, has that same 'surprise' element when you catch it that these updated reprints do. The classifications are arbitrary and being made up as I go along, don't take it too literally.

Attack/Power/Energy Continuity

1-dark-ampharos.jpg

89-ampharos-ex.jpg

2-dark-ampharos.jpg

There are so many examples of this. It's always nice when Super Psy/Super Psy Bolt reappears as an attack in the TCG. But I love when the TCG assigns a niche to a Pokémon that it revisits every now and again. Like when Scyther has one attack that doubles its other attack in the next turn (Jungle, Neo Destiny, Stormfront) or the almost ironic twist that is Slashing Strike where he CAN'T use the souped-up attack his next turn (Black Star Promo 54, TRR, Undaunted). Sometimes they're reoccurring Attacks or Powers, with or without the exact original names, sometimes they're the novelty of reoccurring Energy requirements -- Jumpluff, anyone?

Some of them are subtle, some of them are overt. Sometimes I'm not sure if they're meant to be easily noticable or why they're done -- while I know Conductivity is reoccurring for a reason, has Jumpluff ever really mattered in a format? -- but it's always been fun for me to catch on to these when I see them in the exact way it's a pleasure to catch on with more verbatim reprints.

Another reoccurring idea I used to love was HP limits -- Basics that evolved used to have an HP cap as high as any given Pokémon they could evolve into, even when it was impractical. A lot of Dark evolutions from Team Rocket and Neo Destiny meant some Pokémon were capped ridiculously low, but I loved when they nonetheless kept with it. You'd knew you'd never see a Charmander with 60 HP because Team Rocket's Dark Charmeleon only had 50 HP. It used to be that way, anyways.

59-charmander.jpg

32-dark-charmeleon.jpg

Similarly, while I was alright with breaking the 120 HP limit for Pokémon-EX, I've got to admit one of the things that made me buy less packs from DPPt-on was an unconditional break of the limit. I knew it meant things like potentials for evolutions with a net loss in HP were at the doorstep. Does it really matter to anyone? No, not really, but it was something I loved and missed. Actually, speaking of something that I'm not as cool with..

Different Approaches To Updated Trainer Reprints
Scenario 1:
92-energy-removal.jpg

140-energy-removal-2.jpg

Scenario 2:
94-potion.jpg

100-potion.jpg

Scenario 3:
93-gust-of-wind.jpg

95-pokemon-catcher.jpg

It used to be if you wanted to reprint a Trainer, you'd reprint it exactly -- or not at all. I do have to hesitate and admit Bill was reprinted as a Supporter at one point and I didn't really bat an eye, but the name and effect was identical, and everyone knew Bill was Bill. In the same way, everyone knew Energy Removal 2 wasn't Energy Removal -- they wanted to reprint the same card but they wanted to change the effect, so they did -- and they also changed the name!

BW's handling of Gust of Wind and Potion is annoying to me in a way I haven't found anyone else agreeing with. If they wanted to update Potion, they should've given it a new name (Potion 2 might not be it, okay, but don't just call it Potion when it's not the same card...) and Gust of Wind should've been Gust of Wind. But now we have a mess and I don't know where to start. Bill is Mom's Kindness, there's two Bills, there's two Gusts of Winds, I don't-- I'm confused. I used to not be confused. Trainers used to have a continuity to them. Where did it go? Why have you foresaken me, TCG? And why am I the only one upset by this? It's because I'm insane, to be sure.

Other Callbacks
44-poliwhirl.jpg

115-poliwhirl.jpg

61-rattata.jpg

103-rattata.jpg

It occurs to me now that the Rattata might be a case of a pseudo-reprint, but it's the art I'm interested in. But the Poliwhirl here -- I love it. Honestly, please, maybe I'm just nuts because Neo Discovery was one of my favorite sets but if you have those two Poliwhirls, at some point do me a favor, take them out and put them next to each other. The cards are 7 or 8 years apart in their printing, have essentially nothing in common, and for all intents and purposes just don't matter. And yet, there they are, 8 years later, with a callback to a favorite set I wouldn't have noticed otherwise.

There IS A Story, Dammit!
75-eevee.jpg

80-growlithe.jpg

60-golbat.jpg

97-skarmory.jpg

At this point you're either interested in the novelty of this post, or dismissed me as a weird guy that's been buying cards for the past 10 years for all the wrong reasons. I'm a consumer without a cause, trust me, I know. But my favorite part of the entire franchise -- yes, even more than elements of the video games themselves -- have been when the set themes implied a story, even if it's little more than a shared location. e-Card was probably the first instance of it, in a sort of lackadasical way where it jumped from Venice?-themed The Town on No Map to the ecosystems of The Wind From the Sea to the underwater caves of The Split Earth and finally the mystery zone and the ruins of Mysterious Mountains. The ADV-era did it the best it ever will, IMO, with the mystery of Eidolon Forest's Mew giving way to the regioncity of Holon and the Delta Species sets. I honestly think that as much as Game Freak tries (and IMO fails) at plots from Generation V onwards, it'll never succeed again the way it did with the more understated plots of Generation I and II, and as far as understated plots go -- the TCG has it beat in the Delta Species sets. What a novel idea, and what a shame they'll never make a game based on Holon. There have been thematics since, with the SP sets typing in with game events and the e-Card-style Lost Zone motif, and even those have been interesting in their own way.

To be sure, there's so much more to mention -- this is the meat and bones of the continuity in the TCG, but I don't want to go on too much longer for worry of overwhelming or inadvertently breaking rules with respect to post/image limits (assuming they exist and I haven't already). For 15 years, the card game's managed to take advantage of its medium to tell an implicit serialized story in a way you honestly can't find anywhere else -- cameos come close, but TV series, movies, comics, etc. usually have maybe hundreds of things to reference, this card game literally has thousands. The closest thing this franchise has is the long-running anime and when you think about it, that comes across as repulsed by the idea of continuity, which is such a shame.

I've found other things to spend money on and other things to do with my time than sort cards, but I'm happy having spent as much time on them as I did. I check Pokébeach a few times a week out of habit, and I won't be able to help commenting on the more interesting stories now and again, and I so much look forward to the potential of a 20th anniversary commemorative set. I really do hope that instead of relying heavily on the video game plots as sources for inspiration future sets continue to create their own running narratives, because it's such a unique method of telling a story you just don't see anywhere else. I'm on a self-imposed hiatus out of lack of interest for Gen V and the blander earlier sets of any given era, but I know for a fact when BW starts to experiment as well and another continuity teasing card comes out, I'm going to want that card more than any DVD of LOST, issue of Spider-Man, or even any chapter of Pokémon Special.

EDIT 1: Shared Artwork
As pointed out by a few replies, shared artwork is another big draw to some sets. That is, literally, a number of cards whose individual artwork has as its source a single larger artwork. So contrary to my earlier allegation e-Card is the first to imply a common location/etc, Southern Islands would've been the first set to do it. And then again, that's ignoring the shared motifs of Jungle and Fossil. Obviously again you have Team Rocket, Gym Leaders, and Discovery and Relevation, etc. also implying a shared scenario, though I'd still stand by the idea e-Card was the first to really fully commit to it, by conjuring up shared specific geographical locations outside of shared artwork.

20-lugia.jpg

18-ho-oh.jpg

23-skarmory.jpg

Shared artwork also shows up in Neo Revelation, POP3 (Plusle and Minun), POP9, and a number of promotionals and I'm sure many other sets. This one was in my mind when I was originally writing the post but I got carried away with some of the less readily noticeable shared locations that it slipped my mind by the time I ended the post. Shared artwork probably has the most literal appeal to collectors and would be the most readily noticeable to anyone, which isn't to take it for granted and it's always great when they do more, but the blink-and-you'll-miss-it kinds are a bit snazzier, aren't they?

33-vaporeon.jpg

46-abra.jpg

I just have to say, I read this whole post from start to finish, and it was incredibly fascinating. I love the artwork of the cards, especially in the e-card series, but I don't have all that many of them (I was away from collecting for about a decade so I have a lot of catch-up to do), so I never noticed quite as many similarities and call backs as you've called attention to here. This was very interesting, so I'd like to thank you a lot for sharing. I wonder if there's any place online that has compilations of things like this?

Something somewhat similar that I've seen in one of the more recent sets is actually in the newly released Japanese BW3 sets: Psycho Drive and Hail Blizzard. A good number of the pictures all have backgrounds in a cityscape, presumably one of the Unovan cities. I happened to notice that as I was sorting through the cards, and I thought it was pretty cool. It's rather thematically fitting, as the Unova region is generally quite a bit more technological than previous regions, with lots of large buildings and skyscrapers, so it stands out. The artwork in these sets is some of my favourite of the more recent sets, partially for this thematic reason.

i hate to burst your bubble about the Poliwrath.... but that is an Aerodactyl in the back ground.... not a Charizard.

But to the point, I LOVE the artwork, and i found your post fascinating.

Dodrios always get "retreat aid".

DodrioJungle34.jpg

DodrioEXFireRedLeafGreen21.jpg

025682_P_DODORIO.jpg

HiddenDodrio.jpg

First of all, you and I have something in common in that we both seem to like LOST. You gain major points in my book just for that.

Second of all, I found this actually extremely interesting. I haven't really looked much towards older cards recently as I don't consider myself much of a collector (even though I do have tons and tons of cards I've inadvertently collected over the past seven or so years). Thanks a lot for posting this. I look forward to anything else you have to say.

Have you guys ever looked at the POP9 cards? (I THINK it's POP9) All of the Pokemon are on some part of a beach and if you line up the cards right, it makes a scene of all of the Pokemon on the ocean shore. It's pretty cool.

Although I have no idea if this was intentional or if I just made that up when I noticed the beach. But it is possible to line them up in some way.

^Someone PLEASE make a scan of this....

also, can someone explain to me the POP serios sets

there are 9 of them... and they consist of like.. 17 cards each... how did you even get them?

safariblade said:
Have you guys ever looked at the POP9 cards? (I THINK it's POP9) All of the Pokemon are on some part of a beach and if you line up the cards right, it makes a scene of all of the Pokemon on the ocean shore. It's pretty cool.

Although I have no idea if this was intentional or if I just made that up when I noticed the beach. But it is possible to line them up in some way.
O rly? o_O I just happen to have a full set of POP 9 practically right by me so I'll check that out lol.

Minty88 said:
^Someone PLEASE make a scan of this....

also, can someone explain to me the POP serios sets

there are 9 of them... and they consist of like.. 17 cards each... how did you even get them?
You used to be able to get them by going to league for free. You were supposed to play enough games in order to win them but my league leader usually just handed them out. So yeah, they were something that you could get at Pokemon leagues. I think I have 4-5 sealed POP 9 packs somewhere...

I have read this and i must say i have too noticed alot of good and constant continuity in the TCG and probably the only thing Pokemon related that actually has it which might be why there hasnt been a new TCG game since 1999/2000.

*post made with 3DS*

Artemis said:
I wonder if there's any place online that has compilations of things like this?
Bulbapedia's good at catching literal reprints. It's a bit easier, too, when you see a Pokémon's individual TCG page with the list of their cards, to look through and catch things like Conductivity Ampharos and, like Minty mentions, Retreat Aid Dodrio.

Minty88 said:
i hate to burst your bubble about the Poliwrath.... but that is an Aerodactyl in the back ground.... not a Charizard.
I know, I saw it the second I read over the post after clicking reply! The snout is clearly there, it almost breaks my heart because I was so convinced it was an active reference to Charizard! Ah, well.

Gale said:
First of all, you and I have something in common in that we both seem to like LOST. You gain major points in my book just for that.

Second of all, I found this actually extremely interesting. I haven't really looked much towards older cards recently as I don't consider myself much of a collector (even though I do have tons and tons of cards I've inadvertently collected over the past seven or so years). Thanks a lot for posting this. I look forward to anything else you have to say.

Wasn't the sixth season a total drag?

And the reason I call myself more a casual collector is that sometimes my set representations aren't much more than one or two packs of cards. Sets I really love maybe hover around and exceed 10 packs, and two years ago I kind of went full swing and did a few EBay buys but still -- anyone involved in leagues and thus using sets to build decks is probably more an inadvertent collector than I am a conscious one. It'd be waaay super cool if people would send me their cards for free when they're out of rotation, but I don't regret buying as many cards as I have. I've gotten more than enough enjoyment out of them as is.

safariblade said:

That's actually not entirely uncommon. I guess it entirely slipped my mind that Rainbow Islands would essentially be the real origin of cards sharing art/location in common, and that style of shared art is done again in Neo Revelation and a number of other cards, usually promotionals. Plusle and Minun cards have done it once or twice, I think the recent Hitmonchan/Hitmonlee HGSS prints might also do it. POP9 is unique (Plusle and Minun aside), though, in that several of the cards have attacks that have added effects if other Pokémon that share the common artwork are in play.

The shared art for Rainbow Islands was actually a big selling point of those cards, and should be pretty easy to find. I don't have the shared art for POP9, but I do have two larger artworks of shared art in Neo Relevation. The little Pidgey in the corner makes me think that regardless of wherever on the internet I snagged them from, credit for originally finding them goes to http://google.com//viper.fox;

http://i.imgur.com/mYCQ7.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/tHtZt.jpg

No direct links because I don't want to stretch the forum tables for anyone.

The-Kaiser said:
I have read this and i must say i have too noticed alot of good and constant continuity in the TCG and probably the only thing Pokemon related that actually has it which might be why there hasnt been a new TCG game since 1999/2000.

I'm the sort of person that, for whatever reason, always enjoys arguing for lost causes. Not in the sense I don't believe in them either, but in that they're just incredibly far fetched on first glance. Suggesting the TCG has done a good job of story is exactly that. But really, when I look at most of the other facets of this franchise, the card game honestly has done a much better job of engaging my interest and sparking my imagination than most of the games and certainly much more than the anime. A few spin-off games (Colosseum, possibly the Mystery Dungeons) and the Special manga are the only things that have ever given it a run for my money in that regard.

I liked your article... you're definitely not the only one... I try to collect every card but this continuity trend is one of my favorite things in TCG too...
My favorite example is Lugia's Elemental Blast:
9-lugia.jpg
105-lugia-ex.jpg
113-114-lugia-legend.jpg

It's basically its TCG exclusive signature attack... There are others like Mewtwo's Psyburn... but like I said, this is my favorite...
I also don't like what they did to Gust of Wind... They should have just reprinted it with the same name...

btw, I have all card scans from pokebeach in my PC organized in several ways, including a kind-of-carddex with a folder for each pokémon showing each card that has been printed for that Pokémon. As such, I often notice these kind of reprints and continuity in the cards easily.

What a thoroughly enjoyable post, DMYSYS. As a collector, these are certainly things I've noticed -- and I'm glad that someone else has brought it up as well. As an almost art major (I did a 180 into the healthcare field), the illustrations are really what draws my attention the most when it comes to the TCG.

And, like Gale, I'm a huge LOST fan as well. Good choice!

I loved this post. So much stuff I both had and hadn't noticed from playing and collecting... the attention to detail here is incredible, and reading the whole post from start to finish was really neat. I particularly liked the Polowhirl cards and the continuity there– I've never noticed anything like that in the cards; it was neat to see a reference to an older card not just in how the card functions, but the art as well. I'll definitely be more alert to these things in the future; this is a really neat part of the TCG that I've, to an extent, been missing out on.

This is a truly great compilation.

I really enjoyed reading this post!! I especially enjoyed the exact reprints from the classic sets :) Has anyone noticed that in every single pokemon prime card there is a gleam (like when team rocket blasted off) They are mostly on the pokemons eyes but theres also one on donphans tusk, slowkings apple, lanturns light ball etc... I just noticed it... not sure if this follows what you were talking about but its another example of continuity! :)

also i dont know how to insert pictures so i havent put any up! sorry!

Back