Help Confused GX Attacks

PokeDaddyRabbit

Aspiring Trainer
Hello, I'm teaching my son to play and have very limited knowledge of all the rules. I play MTG a lot and sometimes the rules get blurred between the two (I have to constantly stop myself from calling Energy "Land" LOL). Right now, we're playing Unlimited as our card selections are limited and so he can get a feel for the game.

A few questions:

1. Is there a limit to hand size?

2. In MTG, if you do not like your opening hand, you can "mulligan" and draw one less card. I know that if you have no Basics, you can re-shuffle and re-draw. Can you do this for an unfavorable opening hand even if you have a Basic in hand?

3. Zoroark GX: Can he use Trickster GX to use another Pokemon's GX attack or must it be a "standard" attack.

4. If a confused Pokemon GX uses its GX attack and it stops due to failing the the confusion coin flip, does it still count as being used?

5. Can you equip items on benched Pokemon? Also, if you retreat a Pokemon equipped with an item, is the item discarded, does it remain active for the next Pokemon, or does it go to the bench with the retreating Pokemon?

6. Bridgette: It says to get one EX or 3 Basics. Can I retrieve a Basic GX (like Tapu Lele) with it or does EX imply GX?

7. Darkrai: His Endless Darkness and Abyssal Sleep attacks. When the defending Pokemon is asleep, does the other player still have to flip two coins if Darkrai is no longer the Active Pokemon?

8. RaichuGX: His Thunder attack. If he knocks himself out with it, do I still take a Prize card?

9. Acerola: This card got kind of confusing:

If I used Acerola to put a Pokemon and all cards attached to it in my hand (Energies and items), does it remove all the damage counters and status effects?

If I use Acerola to put an evolved Pokemon back into my hand, do I put the Basic back into my hand as well?

If I use Acerola to put an active Pokemon back into my hand and place a benched Pokemon as active, does that count as the once-per-turn retreat? See below.

I was playing the now-illegal Forrest of Giant Plants and Goliospod was confused and poisoned with 8 damage counters on it. I used Acerola to put Goliospod, Wimpod, and an Energy back into my hand. Then played Wimpod, re-attached the Energy (first this turn), evolved into Goliospod, retreated the active Pokemon paying the cost, put Goliospod back as active, then used First Impression for massive damage. That just felt like I was breaking rules left and right. Was it legal?

Thanks! Sorry for so many as my first post, but I want to be fair to my kid and also him not look foolish or be accused of cheating when playing his friends.

1. no
2. no
3. yes
4. no
5. yes, it goes to the bench
6. no EX only means EX
7. yes, it is part of the condition
8. if thunder knocks your raichu out, you opponent gets to take 2 prizes for it
a. yes
b. yes
c. no, but it still increases golisacpods damage

sorry if this is not too well explained, but I am 99.999% shure that those are the correct ruleings

1. no
2. no
3. yes
4. no
5. yes, it goes to the bench
6. no EX only means EX
7. yes, it is part of the condition
8. if thunder knocks your raichu out, you opponent gets to take 2 prizes for it
a. yes
b. yes
c. no, but it still increases golisacpods damage

sorry if this is not too well explained, but I am 99.999% shure that those are the correct ruleings
This is all correct. In regards to Golisopod, if you Acerola a damaged Golisopod, you wouldn't have to promote, THEN retreat to do First Impression for 120, as long as you already had a second Golisopod on the field before playing Acerola. Your wording confused me, but if I'm explaining something different than what you're talking about, then I know what you meant. Either way, that's the correct ruling

Everything Pikachuuu said is correct, I am just going to give the answers a little more detailed explanation ^w^

My answers will be in the quote, bolded.
Hello, I'm teaching my son to play and have very limited knowledge of all the rules. I play MTG a lot and sometimes the rules get blurred between the two (I have to constantly stop myself from calling Energy "Land" LOL). Right now, we're playing Unlimited as our card selections are limited and so he can get a feel for the game.

A few questions:

1. Is there a limit to hand size?
There is no limit to hand size.

2. In MTG, if you do not like your opening hand, you can "mulligan" and draw one less card. I know that if you have no Basics, you can re-shuffle and re-draw. Can you do this for an unfavorable opening hand even if you have a Basic in hand?
No. You can only mulligan when you have no basics.

3. Zoroark GX: Can he use Trickster GX to use another Pokemon's GX attack or must it be a "standard" attack.
Trickster GX can copy any attack on the field, including GX attacks.

4. If a confused Pokemon GX uses its GX attack and it stops due to failing the the confusion coin flip, does it still count as being used?
No. When you flip tails for confused, the attack fails, meaning it never happened.

5. Can you equip items on benched Pokemon? Also, if you retreat a Pokemon equipped with an item, is the item discarded, does it remain active for the next Pokemon, or does it go to the bench with the retreating Pokemon?
You can attach Item cards to any of your Pokemon in play. They will always stay attached to a Pokemon unless that Pokemon gets knocked out or the effect of a card gets rid of it (ex Field Blower).

6. Bridgette: It says to get one EX or 3 Basics. Can I retrieve a Basic GX (like Tapu Lele) with it or does EX imply GX?
EX does not imply GX. ftr, I know you were using it as an example, but you don't wanna use Brigette to get Lele, cause then you couldn't use Wonder Tag :p

7. Darkrai: His Endless Darkness and Abyssal Sleep attacks. When the defending Pokemon is asleep, does the other player still have to flip two coins if Darkrai is no longer the Active Pokemon?
Darkrai does not have to stay active. Special Conditions stay on a Pokemon until something removes it (ex retreating, evolving, Full Heal), or the effect ends (ending turn for Paralysis, flipping heads for Asleep/Burned).

8. RaichuGX: His Thunder attack. If he knocks himself out with it, do I still take a Prize card?
If a Pokemon gets knocked out in any way, your opponent takes the prize card, because it was your Pokemon that got knocked out.

9. Acerola: This card got kind of confusing:

If I used Acerola to put a Pokemon and all cards attached to it in my hand (Energies and items), does it remove all the damage counters and status effects?
Yes, when a Pokemon gets taken off the playing field for any reason, all status effects, damage, etc get removed.

If I use Acerola to put an evolved Pokemon back into my hand, do I put the Basic back into my hand as well?
Yes, all evolutionary lines would go back into your hand.

If I use Acerola to put an active Pokemon back into my hand and place a benched Pokemon as active, does that count as the once-per-turn retreat? See below.
No, it does not count as retreating, because you put it into your hand, you didn't retreat. Retreating is moving to your bench using your retreat cost. That's why Guzma/Switch/Escape Rope also don't count as retreating.

I was playing the now-illegal Forrest of Giant Plants and Goliospod was confused and poisoned with 8 damage counters on it. I used Acerola to put Goliospod, Wimpod, and an Energy back into my hand. Then played Wimpod, re-attached the Energy (first this turn), evolved into Goliospod, retreated the active Pokemon paying the cost, put Goliospod back as active, then used First Impression for massive damage. That just felt like I was breaking rules left and right. Was it legal?
Nope, everything you did here was perfectly fine and legal :D

Thanks! Sorry for so many as my first post, but I want to be fair to my kid and also him not look foolish or be accused of cheating when playing his friends.

I hope this helps, and I hope Pikachuuu doesn't mind me adding to his answers ^w^

Thanks, all. This was extremely helpful. However, I do have another question about Zoroark and his "Foul Play" attack (if this requires a separate post, my apologies) and attacking.

If a Pokemon has the energy requirements to attack, can it choose not to? Say, a confused Sableye. Can I choose not to Junk Hunt or Confuse Ray to avoid taking the damage on the failed coin flip and just pass the turn (that's the Magic coming out again...)?

Can Zorua's "Ascension" be used the first turn he is in play?

Can you use Zoroark's Foul Play to copy an opponents GX attack if you've already used your own GX attack? Also, if you use Foul Play to copy a GX attack, does that count as your GX attack?

The sequence:

I had in Darkrai EX (with Darkrai GX on the bench) and he had in Zoroark GX. He used Hyponotoxic Laser followed by Trickster GX copying Darkrai GX's Dead End thus insta-KO'd Darkrai EX. I put in Darkrai GX, played my own Hypnotoxic Laser and insta-KO'd his Zoroark GX. Well, he put in Zoroark, played yet another Hypnotoxic Laser then used Foul Play to copy GX's Dead End and took out my GX. Legal?

Last edited:
During your turn, you may choose to end you turn at any time without attacking. I can't think of any situations where you are forced by the rules to attack (though I might have forgotten about one. Even so, it should never come up in one of your games). Passing your turn can at times be the best choice, and you should feel free to do so whenever you deem it wise to do so.

In response to your second question, I'm not exactly sure. I feel like the answer is that it counts as your GX attack, but am not entirely sure. I don't play a ton of dark decks, and when I do it's usually M Tyranitar EX, so I don't have a lot of experience with Foul Play. I feel like I played it once, though, and it counted as my GX attack. I could be completely and utturly incorrect, and I apologize if that is the case, but this is the best I can do to answer you.

Hope this helps!

Foul Play to copy a GX attack counts as you using the GX attack, So, you can’t copy it if you have already used a GX move, and once you use a GX attack through Foul play, you can’t use another GX. move

Back