Computer Difficulties

NyJonesy26

He's Watching.
Has your computer ever had any major problems that caused you to lose everything and have to start fresh again? It has happened to my family several times with our Windows-based computers (I know you're surprised) so many times that we can't reactivate our copy of XP anymore. It has taught me to be MUCH more careful of what I do on the internet.

Yeah here is a simple fact-
DON'T DOWNLOAD EVERYTHING YOU SEE
This problem is mostly caused by viruses

sorry i cant help you because i have a mac, but my laptop is windows... welll i haven't had this problem yet so thanks for helping me be more aware of my computer :)

yep have had that done before its good to have a good Anti Virus program I reccomend AVG you can download a free trial version for 30 days but then you will have to buy it its like 50 bucks

This has happened to me also on a Compaq Windows Xp computer.Just call the company the computer is from and ask them to mail you a recovery CD.
But when you bought the Computer it should have came with those CDs.

Well, I have been using Firefox for a couple years now, but my sister had been using IE and outdated virus protection software on her computer, so it may have spread onto the other computers over our home network.

Spyware

search for spyware on google
I had about 3 virus's once which were eating away at my files, thank god it didn't get to my fan-fic folder

It happens to me a lot. We have to restore about once a year. All you can do is back it up on CD's.:)

.::n00bmuffin::. said:
AVG is free.

Ever since I've started using firefox, I haven't had any problems.

At all.
it use to be but its not anymore and yea firefox is great goes alot faster

xxashxx said:
It happens to me a lot. We have to restore about once a year. All you can do is back it up on CD's.:)

I back it up on memory sticks
I have 2 sticks full of Japanese pokemon subbed episodes

Peta said:
xxashxx said:

I back it up on memory sticks
I have 2 sticks full of Japanese pokemon subbed episodes

What are sticks? Are they like a drive or something.:)

I could insert the "buy a Mac" thing here, but sadly, it's true. Macs hardly ever get viruses. And they are just as fast as Windows computers. When i bought my Macbook last year, it was by far one of the best investments I ever made. Expensive yes, but well worth it.

Wouldn't you be able to find a bankrupt electronics store having a clear out sale with the current economic problems?

But yeah, get a mac, seriously, my number of outrages and amount of yelling at my computer have reduced to 0% ever since I got my mac, unless I use my XP on parallels sometimes...

Actually if you buy the windows it is supposed to come with a CD with the operating system so that if things like this happens you can download it again. Windows is my personal choice.

Yeah, but reinstalling it is a chore. If I do get a Mac, that means I'll have to get an external hard drive to backup my stuff, but those aren't that much, and I probably should be doing that anyway.

Back