Collecting question regarding holos and reverse holos

Reap3r160

Aspiring Trainer
My girlfriend and I have over the past few months gotten into collecting Pokemon cards after finding some of our old ones in a tote of old stuff.

We currently are collecting all the various B&W sets, have quite a few full arts, sadly no secret rares though :(.

I just had a question regarding how holos and reverse holos worked in the various sets. Does EVERY card have a reverse holo version? Or only some? I managed to find a small list on bulbapedia of a list of the holos in a few sets(B&W, Emerging, Noble, Dragons, Explorers, and Destinies) but can not find any of the others.

Obviously I would like the holo versions for our binder if possible, is there any other list or database that has a list of all the holos and or reverses in a set?

Thanks a lot!

As far as I know, it does vary a bit from set to set, generation to generation, especially since different RH methods and SR methods were employed in different sets, but since you're specifically collecting the BW sets, that narrows things down a bit.

For B&W, all cards have RH varieties EXCEPT:
- EXes
- Full Arts
- Shinies
- Secret Rares (like Pikachu and Meowth from BW and EP)
- Ace Specs
- basic energy cards in packs from the first Black and White set.*

All regular rarity, non-promo, non-basic-energy cards have regular and RH varieties, trainers, holos, everything. Some promo cards are also RH, but as far as I remember, those are only available as RHs.

* - These cards were released in a crosshatch holo pattern as a Pokémon League promo, but those are not available in regular packs.

(I'm not entirely positive that all of this information is 100% correct, but it gives you a place to start from. I'm sure someone will be around to correct me if I got something wrong. :p)

Pokemon-EX, Ace Specs, Full Arts, Shinies (BW-era Shinies, that is) and the few other BW-era Secret Rares (Pikachu, Meowth) do not have Reverse Holo prints. All regular common, uncommon, rare and holo cards have Reverse Holo versions.

Beaten to it (heh, too longer to type up than I thought), and I missed the BW basic energies. Heh.

RiverShock said:
Pokemon-EX, Ace Specs, Full Arts, Shinies (BW-era Shinies, that is) and the few other BW-era Secret Rares (Pikachu, Meowth) do not have Reverse Holo prints. All regular common, uncommon, rare and holo cards have Reverse Holo versions.

Beaten to it (heh, too longer to type up than I thought), and I missed the BW basic energies. Heh.

Yeah, well, I forgot Ace Specs at first too and you had those. See, we all work together! :D

Some have even 2 different RH prints. Like Pansage, Pansear and Panpour. One RH print from the BW set and one Promo RH print from the Double Album Box. Most times Ultra Rares and secret rares etc don't have a RH print. There are some exceptions like Skyridge and for Japanese the HGSS and EBB sets.

This Dutch site has list for all the sets with the RH prints: http://pokemon-paradijs.com/ruilkaarten/ruilkaarten.php

Like, if you download the set lists from Pokémon official site, it shows which cards have a reverse holo version... They don't list the secret rares though, but those don't have rev. holo versions like the people above said.

Metalizard said:
Like, if you download the set lists from Pokémon official site, it shows which cards have a reverse holo version... They don't list the secret rares though, but those don't have rev. holo versions like the people above said.
When it comes to making checklists for collecting I use the official pokemon checklists and then I go to bulbapedia's page on the set to get information and also find out about the special cards in the set (such as non holo version that only come holo from starter decks).
Good luck with your collecting!

Thanks a bunch for the info.

Wow, didnt realize EVERY card had a reverse version. Maybe that won't be our ultimate goal then lol. But it's a nice bonus when getting duplicates if we can replace a non reverse.

Thanks again!

Back