• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Chesnaught BREAK / Ariados

MikeMcfly87

Underrated & Underappreciated
So, we've got some friendly competition going on out at my league. Currently we are creating decks based off of BREAKs. I didn't want to do the same as everyone else with Zoroark Break/Yveltals. So I came up with this. All advice welcome! Thank you in advance.

Pokémon: 15
  • 3 Chespin (BKT)
  • 1 Quilladin (XY)
  • 2 Chesnaught (BKT)
  • 2 Chesnaught BREAK
  • 2 Spinarak (AOR)
  • 2 Ariados (AOR)
  • 2 Virizion (BKT)
  • 1 Shaymin EX (ROS)
Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums: 33
  • 3 VS Seeker
  • 3 Float Stone
  • 2 Heavy Ball
  • 2 Rare Candy
  • 2 Professor's Letter
  • 1 Enhanced Hammer
  • 1 Battle Compressor
  • 1 Escape Rope
  • 1 Energy Recycler
  • 2 Wally
  • 2 Pokemon Fan Club
  • 2 Sycamore
  • 2 Skyla
  • 2 Tierno
  • 1 Pokemon Center Lady
  • 1 Hex Manic
  • 1 Fisherman
  • 3 Forest of Giant Plants
  • 1 Mountain Ring
Energy: 12
  • 4 Herbal Energy
  • 8 Grass Energy
POSSIBLE SUBSTITIONS
-1 or 2 Regice
-1 Battle Compressor
-2 Level Ball
-2 Heavy Ball (Quicker Pokémon selection)
-1 or 2 Sacred Ash (recycling Chesnaughts/BREAKS)
-2 Rare Candy (Faster evolution)
-2 Heavy Boots (HP boost)

Strategy:

The strategy is to get Chesnaught and the BREAK out as quickly as possible using Heavy Balls/Rare Candy/Forest of Giant Plants and Virizion/Battle compressor. And while charging up; use Ariados' ability to poison all would be attackers. Float stones allow Chesnaughts to switch/attack with ease. I just don't know what to do about secondary attackers.

The first thing I would do is decide whether you want to focus on Rare Candy/Wally or FoGP, but not both. I'd say go for FoGP, as it's less reliant on having certain cards in your hand. With that in mind:

-2 Wally (FoGP gives you your first-turn evolving + you will want to use other supporters instead of this guy)
-2 Rare Candy (Sorta defeats FoGP)

+3 Quilladin XY
+1 Chesnaught XY (More consistency + gives a Spiky Shield option)

Then, I would make the following changes:

-2 Virizion BRT (I don't think you're ever going to have the energy spare to power up this. Instead, if you need a back up attacker, I would go with Celebi or Pinsir. However, I could be very run, since I've never tried out Virizion BRT. You may like to test this or the other Pokemon options.)
-2 Float Stone (Sure, this is good tool, but you're going to prefer using EXP Share/Hard Charm/Muscle Band as your Tool instead, so you can stream/prevent 1-hit KO/1-hit KO. I would keep a single copy of Float Stone just in case, however.)
-2-2 Ariados (I feel like you're deck is pretty clunky even without Ariados, and having another line would not help things. :p )
-1 Professor's Letter (With the right draw, I don't really think you'll need 2, or even 1! One is a nice backup, though.)
-1 Energy Recycler (I feel like you should run the more versatile and less situational Super Rods over the Recycler).
-1 Skyla (It's a little slow so you don't want to be using it all the time, and with VS Seeker, you can reuse the single copy if need be.)
-2 Tierno (You will need faster/speedier draw than Tierno.)
-1 Pokemon Centre Lady (I don't really think healing 60 damage is going to make much of a difference, and is not worth your turn's supporter.)
-1 Fisherman (There's not much to do with the Energy once it is in your hand. I'd run Super Rod instead.)
-1 Mountain Ring (To be honest, you will want to be placing some snipe on your opponent's Pokemon, and sniping your own Virizion-EX/Shaymin-EX shouldn't really be a concern of yours. I'd take this out for some more space.)
-4 Herbal Energy (Healing 20 damage isn't that big of a difference. They can also be Enhanced Hammered, which you really can't afford. If you are to run Special Energy, DCE is your best bet.)
-1 Grass Energy (I'd only take this for space for DCE.)

+2 Pinsir BKT/Celebi Promo (Pinsir has a strong, cheap, sniping attack to assist in KOs, however has a major negative of a high retreat. For this reason, I would go with Celebi, which both allows for prize denial while setting up and some spread if you decide to attack with it.)
+1 Professor Sycamore (Consistency)
+1 Shauna (A bit more draw help.)
+1 VS Seeker (Consistency)
+4 Ultra Ball (Although you run Heavy Ball, it is still vital to your consistency to run Ultra Ball.)
+1 Shaymin-EX (You need another Shaymin in your deck for speed and consistency.)
+2 Super Rod (To recycle Energy + Pokemon efficiently.)
+2 Muscle Band (To get the 1-hit KOs this deck would really like.)
+1 Hard Charm (If you ever need to play the stalling game, your have this for longevity.)
+2 Exp. Share (Attach to your Chestnaught to assist in streaming.)
+1 Switch (A bit more mobility.)
+2 Head Ringer/+1 Eco Arm/+1 Xerosic/+1 Team Flare Grunt/+2 Trainer's Mail/+3 DCE (What you chose to put in these final slots are very much personal preference. Head Ringer/Xerosic/Team Flare Grunt allows for disruption, which may be needed to slow your opponent so you can set up. Meanwhile, Eco Arm and Trainer's Mail provide some extra consistency to your deck, which may also be ideal. Double Colourless would speed up your deck a bit.)

Thank you for your input. I will play around more with your ideas and mine incorporated.

The first thing I would do is decide whether you want to focus on Rare Candy/Wally or FoGP, but not both. I'd say go for FoGP, as it's less reliant on having certain cards in your hand. With that in mind:

-2 Wally (FoGP gives you your first-turn evolving + you will want to use other supporters instead of this guy)
-2 Rare Candy (Sorta defeats FoGP)

+3 Quilladin XY
+1 Chesnaught XY (More consistency + gives a Spiky Shield option)

Then, I would make the following changes:

-2 Virizion BRT (I don't think you're ever going to have the energy spare to power up this. Instead, if you need a back up attacker, I would go with Celebi or Pinsir. However, I could be very run, since I've never tried out Virizion BRT. You may like to test this or the other Pokemon options.)
-2 Float Stone (Sure, this is good tool, but you're going to prefer using EXP Share/Hard Charm/Muscle Band as your Tool instead, so you can stream/prevent 1-hit KO/1-hit KO. I would keep a single copy of Float Stone just in case, however.)
-2-2 Ariados (I feel like you're deck is pretty clunky even without Ariados, and having another line would not help things. :p )
-1 Professor's Letter (With the right draw, I don't really think you'll need 2, or even 1! One is a nice backup, though.)
-1 Energy Recycler (I feel like you should run the more versatile and less situational Super Rods over the Recycler).
-1 Skyla (It's a little slow so you don't want to be using it all the time, and with VS Seeker, you can reuse the single copy if need be.)
-2 Tierno (You will need faster/speedier draw than Tierno.)
-1 Pokemon Centre Lady (I don't really think healing 60 damage is going to make much of a difference, and is not worth your turn's supporter.)
-1 Fisherman (There's not much to do with the Energy once it is in your hand. I'd run Super Rod instead.)
-1 Mountain Ring (To be honest, you will want to be placing some snipe on your opponent's Pokemon, and sniping your own Virizion-EX/Shaymin-EX shouldn't really be a concern of yours. I'd take this out for some more space.)
-4 Herbal Energy (Healing 20 damage isn't that big of a difference. They can also be Enhanced Hammered, which you really can't afford. If you are to run Special Energy, DCE is your best bet.)
-1 Grass Energy (I'd only take this for space for DCE.)

+2 Pinsir BKT/Celebi Promo (Pinsir has a strong, cheap, sniping attack to assist in KOs, however has a major negative of a high retreat. For this reason, I would go with Celebi, which both allows for prize denial while setting up and some spread if you decide to attack with it.)
+1 Professor Sycamore (Consistency)
+1 Shauna (A bit more draw help.)
+1 VS Seeker (Consistency)
+4 Ultra Ball (Although you run Heavy Ball, it is still vital to your consistency to run Ultra Ball.)
+1 Shaymin-EX (You need another Shaymin in your deck for speed and consistency.)
+2 Super Rod (To recycle Energy + Pokemon efficiently.)
+2 Muscle Band (To get the 1-hit KOs this deck would really like.)
+1 Hard Charm (If you ever need to play the stalling game, your have this for longevity.)
+2 Exp. Share (Attach to your Chestnaught to assist in streaming.)
+1 Switch (A bit more mobility.)
+2 Head Ringer/+1 Eco Arm/+1 Xerosic/+1 Team Flare Grunt/+2 Trainer's Mail/+3 DCE (What you chose to put in these final slots are very much personal preference. Head Ringer/Xerosic/Team Flare Grunt allows for disruption, which may be needed to slow your opponent so you can set up. Meanwhile, Eco Arm and Trainer's Mail provide some extra consistency to your deck, which may also be ideal. Double Colourless would speed up your deck a bit.)
pinsirs attack hits your bench not your opponents so it is not a sniping card at all

Back