Help Cheapest Decks for a semi-competitive player

Wockomtosh

Aspiring Trainer
So I've been running BRaH (Bunnelby Houndoom Raticate) and I was seeing some decent success, and having a lot of fun. I was somewhere around 40-25 for W/L ratio, but then all of the sudden it stopped working, whether it was the people I ran into (a volcanion deck with 2 floats, 2 switch, 2 escape ropes AND Olympia, and I was so close too), or bad plays, I went on a losing streak, making me now around 47-32. It's not that much worse, but I've lost a ton of my most recent matches, and it's getting old to run into auto-loss decks. I am going to keep working on it (and probably put something in the deck garage soon), but are there any other cheap decks that I could do well with? There is no way I can afford Shaymins, and when Sun and Moon comes out I'll try building Passimian, golduck, and maybe something else like that, but until then I don't have much to work with. Any ideas?

Greninja Break in the current rotation is the cheapest deck that still gets top 8 at tournaments. It's hard to guess how Sun and Moon will hurt or help it though so unless you're playing in a tournament this month I would consider waiting a couple weeks before deciding.

I love my Greninja Break though; it's too much fun. So even if it falls out of favor from a "Top 8" deck into a lower tier, since you're just looking for semi-competitive I would still say give it a try if you can.

Build Greninja. I took it a League Challenge and got 2nd, going 3-1. I would of got some good CP, but with League cups now, don't attend League Challenges if your after you invite, since you get a great deal more points for 8th at a League Cup that 1st at a League Challenge.

I have only been able to go to 2 League cups and Greninja made top 8 in both. One went 4-2 and just made it in, while the other was the only 5-1 deck at the end of swiss. There is no way you couldn't offord to build Greninja, because the only expensive card is the BREAK and its only 15, less that 4 packs at normal price.

Anything non-Greninja? I'm thinking more and more of building Greninja, but I hate playing against that deck so I don't know if I want to go for it, but if worst comes to worst that's my only option.

You could look at a Garchomp deck. Not the deck list I would use, but here is an example. It definitely is *not* tier one either. It does have the added benefit of working well against the "deck de jour" in GA though. Hits for weakness on Darkrai. That said, it is definitely not a fast deck by any means. It also has some energy synergy with the future Passimian deck. Not saying they are a natural fit together, just saying they at least don't require you to get creative with energy attachments.

So I've been running BRaH (Bunnelby Houndoom Raticate) and I was seeing some decent success, and having a lot of fun. I was somewhere around 40-25 for W/L ratio, but then all of the sudden it stopped working, whether it was the people I ran into (a volcanion deck with 2 floats, 2 switch, 2 escape ropes AND Olympia, and I was so close too), or bad plays, I went on a losing streak, making me now around 47-32. It's not that much worse, but I've lost a ton of my most recent matches, and it's getting old to run into auto-loss decks. I am going to keep working on it (and probably put something in the deck garage soon), but are there any other cheap decks that I could do well with? There is no way I can afford Shaymins, and when Sun and Moon comes out I'll try building Passimian, golduck, and maybe something else like that, but until then I don't have much to work with. Any ideas?
Build Vespiquen. Would probably fir the budget if you play no Shaymin, and it is a good deck to play. Not super competitive, but a cheap and good deck to build! :)

Shaymin EX has dropped to 40. But without Shaymin, you won't be able to make a competitive deck consistent outside of Greninja. Sun and Moon may change that, and the first major Tournament is 2/18-19 in California. In the brutally long format of PRS-STS/EVO not much has changed since rotation.

Shaymin EX has dropped to 40. But without Shaymin, you won't be able to make a competitive deck consistent outside of Greninja. Sun and Moon may change that, and the first major Tournament is 2/18-19 in California. In the brutally long format of PRS-STS/EVO not much has changed since rotation.
Yeah Rare Candy made a Solgaleo/Lunala/Talonflame without Shays but Solgaleo and Lunala will be expensive

Lunala and Solgaleo are getting tins in the spring, so they won't be more than 8-9$. No matter how playable they become, a tin print will make them cheap. Even after European Championships, the Yveltal tin promo stayed under 10 and that card was for the best deck in format at the time.

Also, let's try and stay on topic, since I kind of am going off topic.

Lunala and Solgaleo are getting tins in the spring, so they won't be more than 8-9$. No matter how playable they become, a tin print will make them cheap. Even after European Championships, the Yveltal tin promo stayed under 10 and that card was for the best deck in format at the time.

Also, let's try and stay on topic, since I kind of am going off topic.
tell that to FA NXD M2 and FA DEX Darkrai

Those are full art. If you want simply a Darkrai, you only have to spend a few bucks on the tin one, or battle area deck one. I never said the full arts would be cheap. Same goes for a full art supporter, like N. It's only a few dollars, but those who want a FA one have to pay 75+.

Those are full art. If you want simply a Darkrai, you only have to spend a few bucks on the tin one, or battle area deck one. I never said the full arts would be cheap. Same goes for a full art supporter, like N. It's only a few dollars, but those who want a FA one have to pay 75+.
Yeah but once the tins leave print the cards rise in value,plus volcanion, zygarde an yveltal still go for 10+

To be honest, you're playing a deck that is incredibly hard to play at a highly consistent level.

I would know. I helped pilot the original concept.

That aside, I have a couple questions for you. Are you playing on PTCGO or IRL? I ask this because the Economy on PTCGO is massively different and things like Greninja BREAK, for example, are ridiculously priced (granted, you don't want to play Ninja, but that's the first example that came to mind xP ). Also, you can played Passimian and Golduck both IRL and on PTCGO now, unless you meant in tournaments, in which case, I would suggest that you keep playing your current deck until SM1 becomes legal. The core cards you would need for both decks come from their respective Theme Decks (Passimians are from Litleo's deck, Golduck things from Papleo). Granted, you would need 4 for Golduck since it only comes with one, but 2 copies of each give you all the staples you will probably need for this next section of the Format (4 Timer Ball, 2 Oranguru from Litleo's deck, 2 Lillie, etc etc.).

The other question would be, "What kind of play style do you enjoy playing most?". After all, there are plenty of budget decks in Pokemon, but not necessarily plenty of decks a person may enjoy. This is less important than the first question since you may find your answer there after all, but do give us the info if not.

I'll do my best to help you after that. We can go through a full list if need be. ^^

-Asmer

I'm playing mostly online, but I want to eventually shift to real life. Also, I really enjoy decks that have some quirk, like Pidgeot, Creep Show Gengar, and mill decks. Not the best way to win, but that's why I said semi-competitive :) Rogue decks that aren't the norm are what I like most, though I still enjoy the heavy hitting decks like the raichu/vespiquen deck that I made, but it's very inconsistent, I'm working on that. Honestly, I don't have enough experience to know what I like most.

I'm playing mostly online, but I want to eventually shift to real life. Also, I really enjoy decks that have some quirk, like Pidgeot, Creep Show Gengar, and mill decks. Not the best way to win, but that's why I said semi-competitive :) Rogue decks that aren't the norm are what I like most, though I still enjoy the heavy hitting decks like the raichu/vespiquen deck that I made, but it's very inconsistent, I'm working on that. Honestly, I don't have enough experience to know what I like most.
You sound like me. Seriously. I've actually played Pidgeot Hammers, Gengar, and Mill all to pretty great success considering. xD

Let's see... do you like Fire decks that hit hard but aren't Volcanion? If so, try Ninetales BREAK. She hits incredibly hard and hits for really, REALLY good numbers. Plus, Lure Ninetales (from Evolutions) is honestly one of the most Troll cards I've ever played with. You can deck people out with it if they play a deck that accelerates through draw and whatnot (Vespiquen is a big example of that). Finally, because you're playing what is essentially a Stage 2 deck, you win on Prize trades a lot. Burning Energy becomes your new best friend because it'll allow Ninetales BREAK to consistently hit for magnificent numbers as well as allow Fire Blast to be free, and 120 damage is a 2HKO on 99% of decks.

If not that, you could try something like Garchomp/Banette. It's one of my favorite decks to bring in to heavy EX Metas because Garchomp hits surprisingly hard with Strong Energies. Banette counters a lot as well, stopping things like Fighting Fury Belt, Float Stone, and Bursting Balloons. It can also play things like Silent Lab, Octillery for draw power, Scorched Earth for more Draw Power, and even Faded Town for pesky Mega Decks that you can't seem to kill even though you probably should be able to. Finally, the best part about the deck is that Garchomp has no Retreat Cost, meaning your reliance on tools like Float Stone is much smaller. This is also why Banette works in that deck so well.

I have a bunch of other really fun, but oddly good ideas if you want them. I have lists for ALL of them as well (all I do is build decks at this point), so if you want a list, let me know. I'll pm you it and we can work on it together! :D

Oh... one more idea before I end this post...

Dewgong.

I made a person rage quit from revealing the Dewgong with a Dive Ball. It made me die of laughter. Let me know if you want a list of that as well.

-Asmer

I think Gyarados is a good choice, its cheap , fun and powerful.
Although it is cheap and strong, finding Team Magmas Secret Base and getting ahold of them is tight and tough. They currently go for $4.43-$7.48 +$3.99 shipping on TCGPlayer. Thats effectively $10 x4 for gyarados if you're lucky to get 'em cheap.

Although it is cheap and strong, finding Team Magmas Secret Base and getting ahold of them is tight and tough. They currently go for $4.43-$7.48 +$3.99 shipping on TCGPlayer. Thats effectively $10 x4 for gyarados if you're lucky to get 'em cheap.

Yup. They are 5 a pop on Ebay and almost 6 on Amazon too. It is still a cheap deck compared to the ones with 4 Shaymin EXs in them (I am looking at you M Gardevoir STS style), but it is definitely "relative" like you say lol!

Let's see... do you like Fire decks that hit hard but aren't Volcanion? If so, try Ninetales BREAK. She hits incredibly hard and hits for really, REALLY good numbers. Plus, Lure Ninetales (from Evolutions) is honestly one of the most Troll cards I've ever played with. You can deck people out with it if they play a deck that accelerates through draw and whatnot (Vespiquen is a big example of that). Finally, because you're playing what is essentially a Stage 2 deck, you win on Prize trades a lot. Burning Energy becomes your new best friend because it'll allow Ninetales BREAK to consistently hit for magnificent numbers as well as allow Fire Blast to be free, and 120 damage is a 2HKO on 99% of decks.

I'm interested in your list here if you're willing to share.

Back